Author Topic: Last time you saw it lighting public roads  (Read 4213 times)
Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Last time you saw it lighting public roads « Reply #15 on: December 26, 2019, 06:19:27 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
There are a few fluorescent fixtures near to where we live, but we keep forgetting to take pictures of them and there are still one or two MH lamps as well. HPS is still used in some streets.  8)

But by far and away the majority is now LED  :'(

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

James

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Last time you saw it lighting public roads « Reply #16 on: December 27, 2019, 06:31:14 AM » Author: James
Natural Gas - I am surprised nobody has mentioned this!  Recently I saw these in the Bockenheimer-Warte district of Frankfurt where they have surprisngly modern-looking Cobraheads with I think 8x gas mantles inside.  Also seen a couple of years ago all around the city centre of Boston in USA.

Incandescent - not seen since the mid 1980s when there were still a few on country roads where I used to live near Bristol in UK.

FL - I think there are no installations in Belgium.  Last seen in Berlin a couple of months ago.

CFL - Everywhere in Greece!  Philips SL*Decor globe are used in bare luminaires outdoors with just a simple radial reflector above

Mercury - Every day - incredibly the Sylvania Tienen plant still has 400W MBF in completely open 1960s lanterns around the back!  Lighting factories wherever you go always seem to be the worst for using their own latest products for their own lighting.  Much of the inside is still lit with F96T12HO, not even triphosphor.

Metal Halide - CMH 2800K in my local town centre

Sodium LP - Every day! SOX-180W in quad Schreder RX lanterns on the E314 highway opposite my house.  On the E40 there are even some with two 131W lamps inside each lantern and still 4 lanterns per column, so over 1000W of stunning LPS glow radiating from each pole.

Sodium HP - Also every day on my small street.

LED - There are some very impressive 100% functioning and extremely low-glare new installations along the main E40 highway running across Belgium, especially around Gent and Luik.  I don't know what the lanterns are, but unlike many other LED installations it's really a pleasure to drive under these.

Michael

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Last time you saw it lighting public roads « Reply #17 on: December 27, 2019, 07:03:14 AM » Author: Michael
I mentioned Gas Mantle in my post, sadly the last one was disconnected in the 1920s. However we do still have one functioning Gas street light in our museum.
The next city to the west called Grenchen still has one column with an active Natural Gas mantle street light setup.

Natural Gas - I am surprised nobody has mentioned this!  Recently I saw these in the Bockenheimer-Warte district of Frankfurt where they have surprisngly modern-looking Cobraheads with I think 8x gas mantles inside.  Also seen a couple of years ago all around the city centre of Boston in USA.

Incandescent - not seen since the mid 1980s when there were still a few on country roads where I used to live near Bristol in UK.

FL - I think there are no installations in Belgium.  Last seen in Berlin a couple of months ago.

CFL - Everywhere in Greece!  Philips SL*Decor globe are used in bare luminaires outdoors with just a simple radial reflector above

Mercury - Every day - incredibly the Sylvania Tienen plant still has 400W MBF in completely open 1960s lanterns around the back!  Lighting factories wherever you go always seem to be the worst for using their own latest products for their own lighting.  Much of the inside is still lit with F96T12HO, not even triphosphor.

Metal Halide - CMH 2800K in my local town centre

Sodium LP - Every day! SOX-180W in quad Schreder RX lanterns on the E314 highway opposite my house.  On the E40 there are even some with two 131W lamps inside each lantern and still 4 lanterns per column, so over 1000W of stunning LPS glow radiating from each pole.

LED - There are some very impressive 100% functioning and extremely low-glare new installations along the main E40 highway running across Belgium, especially around Gent and Luik.  I don't know what the lanterns are, but unlike many other LED installations it's really a pleasure to drive under these.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 07:06:22 AM by monkeyface » Logged
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Last time you saw it lighting public roads « Reply #18 on: December 27, 2019, 08:55:13 AM » Author: Rommie
Sodium LP - Every day! SOX-180W in quad Schreder RX lanterns on the E314 highway opposite my house.  On the E40 there are even some with two 131W lamps inside each lantern and still 4 lanterns per column, so over 1000W of stunning LPS glow radiating from each pole.
Oooh, you can go off people, you know  ;D :D

Envy, envy is all I can say to that, we had it here until they decimated the street while we were away on holiday  :'(

Regarding gas, I saw some when I was in Düsseldorf in 2006, don't know if they're still there now, though.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 09:00:33 AM by sox35 » Logged

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Last time you saw it lighting public roads « Reply #19 on: December 27, 2019, 09:23:53 AM » Author: Cole D.
As for gas lighting, there used to be a house in my neighborhood with two gas carriage lanterns at the gate. They were usually burning. They were removed several years ago for some reason, and I miss them.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: Last time you saw it lighting public roads « Reply #20 on: December 27, 2019, 03:34:22 PM » Author: AngryHorse
Last time I saw gas lights were in our very first caravan we got  ;D, the gas mantle was a very cleaver idea that Carl Auer von Welsbach came up with, I always thought of gas lighting as being dull until I got to see one first hand!
When we used to go on holiday in said caravan, and it got cold at night, the good old gas lights gave out a bright light, and made the inside of the caravan nice and warm!

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Last time you saw it lighting public roads « Reply #21 on: December 27, 2019, 05:35:36 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Last time I saw gas lights were in our very first caravan we got  ;D, the gas mantle was a very cleaver idea that Carl Auer von Welsbach came up with, I always thought of gas lighting as being dull until I got to see one first hand!
When we used to go on holiday in said caravan, and it got cold at night, the good old gas lights gave out a bright light, and made the inside of the caravan nice and warm!

I remember them as well.! 8)

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Last time you saw it lighting public roads « Reply #22 on: December 29, 2019, 02:17:31 AM » Author: joseph_125
I guess I might as well mention the only gas lights I've seen around here.

There's a small string of 4 post tops in front of St. Lawrence Hall in Toronto. They don't have mantles and I believe burn 24/7 though.

Very interesting to hear about more modern gas roadway lighting though, especially the gas cobraheads.
CreeRSW207

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Last time you saw it lighting public roads « Reply #23 on: December 31, 2019, 07:54:40 AM » Author: CreeRSW207
Incandescent- Seen in scattered NH towns

Mercury Vapor- Seen in Northern Maine

HP Sodium- EVERYWHERE

LP Sodium- Never

Metal Halide- In some parking lots

Fluorescent- Mostly car dealerships

LED- Starting to grow rapidly

Long live the Incandescent streetlights!
Power Company: Eversource
Startup Landscaping/LED retrofit business.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies