Author Topic: Recycling bubble wrap and styrofoam peanut?  (Read 2359 times)
Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Recycling bubble wrap and styrofoam peanut? « on: January 02, 2020, 10:53:35 PM » Author: Cole D.
Is there a best way to recycle these? We end up with a lot of it when we buy stuff online, but we don't mail anything where we can really use it again. My parents said I can't put in recycle bin because it mess up the trash truck. So usually I wrap it up and put in with the plastic shopping bags to recycle at store, don't know what else to do with it. Or recycle the peanuts either.

Any ideas?

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Recycling bubble wrap and styrofoam peanut? « Reply #1 on: January 03, 2020, 08:56:09 AM » Author: Medved
The only reasonable way I see to use it over and over for the same purpose. So giving it to someone who may actually use it again (e.g. a shop sending goods by mail or so) is the best way. Of course, it has to be kept clean and not contaminated, so it remains usable.
And it should be in some reasonable quantity package (bag,...), to be manageable on their side - so collect it into some 10 or 20l bag at home and when the bag gets full, give it to that store...

Otherwise it should be recycled as plastic - the collection trucks for plastic should be designed to handle these well. But I don't know how the system works at your place (here the plastic is collected in separate bins, separate bin for paper, separate for glass, some time ago even the clear glass was separated from the tinted one and separate for metals and so on, so each material uses separate attachements on the collection trucks or even dedicated collection trucks; I know on many places all "recyclable" is just put together into one bin and it gets separated in the collection center, there some problems may arise)...

No more selfballasted c***

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Recycling bubble wrap and styrofoam peanut? « Reply #2 on: January 03, 2020, 11:58:10 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
With the bubble wrap we donate it to one of the local charity shops to use when wrapping items up.  :)

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Recycling bubble wrap and styrofoam peanut? « Reply #3 on: January 03, 2020, 09:28:09 PM » Author: Cole D.
The only reasonable way I see to use it over and over for the same purpose. So giving it to someone who may actually use it again (e.g. a shop sending goods by mail or so) is the best way. Of course, it has to be kept clean and not contaminated, so it remains usable.
And it should be in some reasonable quantity package (bag,...), to be manageable on their side - so collect it into some 10 or 20l bag at home and when the bag gets full, give it to that store...

Otherwise it should be recycled as plastic - the collection trucks for plastic should be designed to handle these well. But I don't know how the system works at your place (here the plastic is collected in separate bins, separate bin for paper, separate for glass, some time ago even the clear glass was separated from the tinted one and separate for metals and so on, so each material uses separate attachements on the collection trucks or even dedicated collection trucks; I know on many places all "recyclable" is just put together into one bin and it gets separated in the collection center, there some problems may arise)...

Here all the recycling goes in one cart. One cart for trash which is picked up. Then they come back later for the recyclables carts. Now, when there used to be recycling trailers, it was all split by trailer - one paper, one plastic, one aluminum, etc.

But we can't put plastic bags or wrapping in the cart, so that has to go to the store collection for recycling.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Recycling bubble wrap and styrofoam peanut? « Reply #4 on: January 03, 2020, 09:28:25 PM » Author: Cole D.
With the bubble wrap we donate it to one of the local charity shops to use when wrapping items up.  :)

That a good idea.

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Recycling bubble wrap and styrofoam peanut? « Reply #5 on: January 04, 2020, 11:56:29 AM » Author: Rommie
Call a local recycle company and get the straight scoop.
Why would I do that when the local charity shop 5 minutes walk away will take all we can give them..?

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

nogden

View Posts
View Gallery

Nelson Ogden

nelson.ogden w8nwo
Re: Recycling bubble wrap and styrofoam peanut? « Reply #6 on: January 06, 2020, 01:43:16 PM » Author: nogden
It will depend on what your local recycling facility can handle. In my area, our recycling company accepts bubble wrap but not packing peanuts.
Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Recycling bubble wrap and styrofoam peanut? « Reply #7 on: January 06, 2020, 01:45:21 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
It will depend on what your local recycling facility can handle. In my area, our recycling company accepts bubble wrap but not packing peanuts.
The two charity shops that we went into today were delighted to get the bubble wrap, in fact one of them can't wait for us to give them more.  ;D

Now that's what I call recycling, they can make use of what we give them and they don't have to buy it in.  :)

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Recycling bubble wrap and styrofoam peanut? « Reply #8 on: January 06, 2020, 02:12:04 PM » Author: Rommie
It makes sense to us to donate the bubble wrap or whatever to someone who can make use of it, rather than them having to buy it new. Charities are on a tight budget and need all the help they can get. Why spend money on fuel taking it somewhere 40 miles away..? Unless you live in the middle of nowhere, there is bound to be someone near you who can use it.

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

tolivac

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Recycling bubble wrap and styrofoam peanut? « Reply #9 on: February 25, 2020, 01:53:59 AM » Author: tolivac
Most areas use rear load compactor trucks to collect recycle waste and non recycle waste-those will handle bubble wrap and peanuts just fine.Same with side load compactor trucks.A few RL compaction trucks are actually powerful enough to crush a complete car!!!!New Way Cobra Magnum and Leech 2R.Also E-Z Pack Goliath.Trash trucks are another interest I have.Bodies anyway since they are installed on truck that carries and powers them.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies