Author Topic: How to wire a street light fixture to an extension cord?  (Read 4752 times)
HPS_250

View Posts
View Gallery

Long live the HPS and SOX!

UCAjfrNb4v77ybEBBYqxZxiw
How to wire a street light fixture to an extension cord? « on: January 04, 2020, 12:11:22 PM » Author: HPS_250
If I started collecting street lights, how would I connect the fixture to a power source? If I wanted it to plug in to a normal outlet, how could I wire a plug to it? I don’t want to build a pole or anything, just connect a light to power indoors.

I’ve always been interested in all kinds of lighting, mainly incandescent and HID, and especially all kinds of sodium lamps (HPS/LPS). I’ll tolerate LED but I’m not a fan of it.
I’m not proud to say that my city has Devolved to LED.

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: How to wire a street light fixture to an extension cord? « Reply #1 on: January 04, 2020, 12:21:17 PM » Author: Rommie
All we've done is to wire a lead with a plug to the terminal block inside the lantern. No different to wiring it up in any other location.

If I started collecting street lights, how would I connect the fixture to a power source? If I wanted it to plug in to a normal outlet, how could I wire a plug to it? I don’t want to build a pole or anything, just connect a light to power indoors.

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

HPS_250

View Posts
View Gallery

UCAjfrNb4v77ybEBBYqxZxiw
Re: How to wire a street light fixture to an extension cord? « Reply #2 on: January 04, 2020, 12:30:59 PM » Author: HPS_250
Thanks! I hope LEDISEASE doesn’t spread to my area, but if it does, I wanted to know how to reuse some HPS that I plan to save!

I’ve always been interested in all kinds of lighting, mainly incandescent and HID, and especially all kinds of sodium lamps (HPS/LPS). I’ll tolerate LED but I’m not a fan of it.

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: How to wire a street light fixture to an extension cord? « Reply #3 on: January 04, 2020, 12:34:30 PM » Author: Rommie
Thanks! I hope LEDISEASE doesn’t spread to my area, but if it does, I wanted to know how to reuse some HPS that I plan to save!
The dreaded disease is everywhere here, but unfortunately they seem to wait until we're out of the way before they change them, I've never seen any crews doing it when I've been out  :-\

Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

HPS_250

View Posts
View Gallery

UCAjfrNb4v77ybEBBYqxZxiw
Re: How to wire a street light fixture to an extension cord? « Reply #4 on: January 04, 2020, 12:35:59 PM » Author: HPS_250
Maybe they know that the people won’t be happy with the cheap Leotek fixtures... I might have to wait a while though, because all the HPS in my area is still maintained and no LEDs have been put up yet.

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: How to wire a street light fixture to an extension cord? « Reply #5 on: January 05, 2020, 02:29:56 PM » Author: Rommie
If it's a metal fixture, you definitely want to earth/ground it. Rule of thumb is that if there's a terminal in the fitting for an earth wire, connect it..!

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: How to wire a street light fixture to an extension cord? « Reply #6 on: January 07, 2020, 06:47:25 PM » Author: joseph_125
Most of the cobraheads here with their factory gear should have a terminal block fitted for you to wire a cord to. Just make sure that the ballast is wired for 120v if you're wiring up a multi-tap cobrahead. Most newer cobraheads 

I find most newer cobraheads do have a dedicated ground/earth lug on a the housing to connect the ground to. If it dosen't you could crimp a ring terminal to the ground wire and screw it to a screw on the chassis. I've don't think any of my cobraheads had the ground connected to the main terminal block for some reason though.
HPS_250

View Posts
View Gallery

UCAjfrNb4v77ybEBBYqxZxiw
Re: How to wire a street light fixture to an extension cord? « Reply #7 on: January 07, 2020, 08:16:26 PM » Author: HPS_250
Thanks for the detailed instructions everyone! I’m hoping to start a street light collection soon and wanted to know how to connect them to power.

HPS_250

View Posts
View Gallery

UCAjfrNb4v77ybEBBYqxZxiw
Re: How to wire a street light fixture to an extension cord? « Reply #8 on: January 07, 2020, 09:02:24 PM » Author: HPS_250
Where can you buy a grounded extension cord that would work for this? Also, how do you tell the difference between neutral and ground wires?

HPS_250

View Posts
View Gallery

UCAjfrNb4v77ybEBBYqxZxiw
Re: How to wire a street light fixture to an extension cord? « Reply #9 on: January 07, 2020, 09:07:05 PM » Author: HPS_250
Thanks!

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies