Author Topic: LED Failures  (Read 2338 times)
GE101R
LED Failures « on: January 10, 2020, 08:00:47 PM » Author: GE101R
The more I drive the areas of LED installations, the more I see failures around.
AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: LED Failures « Reply #1 on: January 11, 2020, 03:54:38 AM » Author: AngryHorse
It’s not the feed cables is it?, when we first lost vast rows of our HPS for Urbis’s Ampera LED, within 3 weeks about 15 of them had gone out, something I found quite amusing!   ;D, turned out in the end to be a faulty underground supply cable though! And as much as I dislike the Ampera, to be fair to Urbis, it wasn’t their lanterns!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 03:56:30 AM by AngryHorse » Logged

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

HPS_250

View Posts
View Gallery

Long live the HPS and SOX!

UCAjfrNb4v77ybEBBYqxZxiw
Re: LED Failures « Reply #2 on: January 11, 2020, 08:52:16 PM » Author: HPS_250
In my area, LEDs are only installed on CalTrans maintained roads, and they use the Leotek ECobra. Almost all of them have failed and the rest turned yellow from heated plastic.

I’ve always been interested in all kinds of lighting, mainly incandescent and HID, and especially all kinds of sodium lamps (HPS/LPS). I’ll tolerate LED but I’m not a fan of it.
I’m not proud to say that my city has Devolved to LED.

Michael

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: LED Failures « Reply #3 on: January 12, 2020, 03:32:14 AM » Author: Michael
Here in my region there is apparently one LED installation with bad accessible failing street lights. They are mounted between two lanes on a highway feeder road. Some of them start to blink and some do not work at all. All these lights in this feeder are made by a certain manufacturer in Germany and these are the only professional LED street lights which are failing in vast numbers. All other lights which we use around the city are made by Philips (Signify), Osram-Siteco and ASElight and they are doing well so far.
istilluseLEDs

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: LED Failures « Reply #4 on: January 12, 2020, 03:40:12 PM » Author: istilluseLEDs
wow, that sounds pretty bad for an almost brand new LED instalation... lets hope it was just a bad batch of leds eh?
Michael

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: LED Failures « Reply #5 on: January 12, 2020, 04:06:37 PM » Author: Michael
Yes all the lights run under the manufacturers warranty. I’m glad that these are not our lights.

wow, that sounds pretty bad for an almost brand new LED instalation... lets hope it was just a bad batch of leds eh?
Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
Re: LED Failures « Reply #6 on: January 12, 2020, 11:29:30 PM » Author: Silverliner
Caltrans dumped Leotek as a result.

Administrator of Lighting-Gallery.net. Need help? PM me.

Member of L-G since 2005.

Collector of vintage bulbs, street lights and fluorescent fixtures.

Electrician.

Also a fan of cars, travelling, working out, food, hanging out.

Power company: Southern California Edison.

fluorescent lover 40

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: LED Failures « Reply #7 on: January 12, 2020, 11:35:21 PM » Author: fluorescent lover 40
When did they dump Leotek? I remember last year near my area a GE M-400A 310w HPS was replaced by a Leotek GC2.
High Intensity

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: LED Failures « Reply #8 on: January 12, 2020, 11:36:52 PM » Author: High Intensity
For having dumped them, i sure see a lot of brand new Leotek fixtures pop up on Caltrans owned poles (most recent one being installed 2 or 3 weeks ago).
fluorescent lover 40

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: LED Failures « Reply #9 on: January 12, 2020, 11:39:19 PM » Author: fluorescent lover 40
For having dumped them, i sure see a lot of brand new Leotek fixtures pop up on Caltrans owned poles (most recent one being installed 2 or 3 weeks ago).
Maybe they're using leftovers? I remember Caltrans installed a brand new GE M-400A 250w HPS light at a intersection last year on Route 66 in my area when the pole (with a GE ERS1 LED) got knocked down. Surprising since the rest of the intersection is LED!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 11:41:38 PM by fluorescent lover 40 » Logged
High Intensity

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: LED Failures « Reply #10 on: January 12, 2020, 11:42:54 PM » Author: High Intensity
Maybe they're using leftovers? I remember Caltrans installed a brand new GE M-400A 250w HPS light last year on Route 66 in my area when the pole (with a GE ERS1 LED) got knocked down. Surprising since the rest of the intersection is LED!
Most of the fixtures are being installed as a part of the FasTrak projects (so a 100+ fixtures or so).
Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
Re: LED Failures « Reply #11 on: January 12, 2020, 11:55:41 PM » Author: Silverliner
Yes, they were using leftovers. I still see a few pop up as replacements here and there. Also contractors still sometimes install them in construction projects.

Administrator of Lighting-Gallery.net. Need help? PM me.

Member of L-G since 2005.

Collector of vintage bulbs, street lights and fluorescent fixtures.

Electrician.

Also a fan of cars, travelling, working out, food, hanging out.

Power company: Southern California Edison.

lightinglover8902

View Posts
View Gallery

Power distributor: CenterPoint Energy. 120V 60Hz

GoL UCfoxh9h5FaLg-R04V8WDi3w
Re: LED Failures « Reply #12 on: January 13, 2020, 04:44:48 PM » Author: lightinglover8902
Contractors have specs they are bound in contracts to abide by and those specs may allow them to use other manufacture's fixture.

I haven't seen TXDOT using LeoTek LED fixtures. Even though its in the catalogue of the Roadway Illumination Supplies. But however, their GreenstarLED Avenger fixtures are crapping out within a few months. One of their high output fixtures used on freeways one of them have only one LED module working and the rest are out, since theres four modules in the high output version.

Save the Cooper OVWs!! Don't them down by crap LED fixtures!!!

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies