Author Topic: Can I Test a VHO Ballast with HO Tubes?  (Read 865 times)
High Intensity

View Posts
View Gallery

Can I Test a VHO Ballast with HO Tubes? « on: May 14, 2021, 05:42:00 AM » Author: High Intensity
This may be a dumb question, but I have an F96T12/VHO Turret I picked up last year, and I've been wanting to test it, and I noticed recently that my local Lowes has GE F96T12/HO tubes for sale, so I'm wondering if I can test my VHO turret with HO tubes, or will the HO tubes mess up the test results?
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Can I Test a VHO Ballast with HO Tubes? « Reply #1 on: May 14, 2021, 08:56:21 AM » Author: Medved
If the arc voltages are similar, you will "only" destroy the tubes, so for a short current test it will be OK.
But if the arc voltage is different, you will have no reference to compare the result, as it is normal for a ballast tohave its arc current somehow dependent on the arc voltage.

No more selfballasted c***

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: Can I Test a VHO Ballast with HO Tubes? « Reply #2 on: May 14, 2021, 11:14:07 AM » Author: xmaslightguy
Yes you can test it with the the HO tubes, no harm will come to the ballast or tubes for a short-term test.
(I've done this myself)

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

High Intensity

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Can I Test a VHO Ballast with HO Tubes? « Reply #3 on: May 14, 2021, 06:59:59 PM » Author: High Intensity
Okay, I think i may check later today and see if the ballast works or not.

If the arc voltages are similar, you will "only" destroy the tubes, so for a short current test it will be OK.
But if the arc voltage is different, you will have no reference to compare the result, as it is normal for a ballast tohave its arc current somehow dependent on the arc voltage.
AFAIK, the voltage between a F96T12HO and a F96T12VHO is more or less the same, it's the current that different.
High Intensity

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Can I Test a VHO Ballast with HO Tubes? « Reply #4 on: May 15, 2021, 03:43:27 AM » Author: High Intensity
So I did the test, and it appears the ballast has a bad capacitor. :-\

On the bright side, it appears to run HO lamps without overdriving them too hard.
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Can I Test a VHO Ballast with HO Tubes? « Reply #5 on: May 16, 2021, 10:51:30 AM » Author: Medved
Okay, I think i may check later today and see if the ballast works or not.
AFAIK, the voltage between a F96T12HO and a F96T12VHO is more or less the same, it's the current that different.

The current I knew about, but the voltage I wasn't sure, so therefore I recommended to doble check it. And it seems it worked well for you...

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: Can I Test a VHO Ballast with HO Tubes? « Reply #6 on: May 18, 2021, 06:25:08 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
The problem with running HO tubes long term on VHO ballasts is that the VHO ballasts will severely overdrive the HO lamp since HO lamps are designed to run at 0.8a while VHO lamps are designed to run at 1.5a.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

High Intensity

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Can I Test a VHO Ballast with HO Tubes? « Reply #7 on: May 18, 2021, 08:32:12 AM » Author: High Intensity
The problem with running HO tubes long term on VHO ballasts is that the VHO ballasts will severely overdrive the HO lamp since HO lamps are designed to run at 0.8a while VHO lamps are designed to run at 1.5a.
But it seems in this case, the VHO ballast is out of spec for a F96T12VHO, but is nearly the correct spec for a F96T12HO.
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Can I Test a VHO Ballast with HO Tubes? « Reply #8 on: May 19, 2021, 02:03:09 AM » Author: Medved
But it seems in this case, the VHO ballast is out of spec for a F96T12VHO, but is nearly the correct spec for a F96T12HO.

If the ballast is supposed to give 1.5A but gives just 0.7A, it means it is faulty and needs to be fixed. It won't be good for the HO, as it will very likely deteriorate further very fast...

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies