Author Topic: Hospital Room Lights  (Read 2239 times)
LightUpMyLife

View Posts
View Gallery

https://www.facebook.com/ https://twitter.com/TedTa
Hospital Room Lights « on: January 24, 2020, 09:22:09 PM » Author: LightUpMyLife
What do you call those lights you find on the back wall of patient rooms at the hospital that can shine up and down, and what is the purpose for those lights?
Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Hospital Room Lights « Reply #1 on: January 24, 2020, 09:36:50 PM » Author: Cole D.
I always figured they were for the patient to read in bed, or for diffused lighting at night when nurses make their rounds without being too bright.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Hospital Room Lights « Reply #2 on: February 02, 2020, 04:06:56 PM » Author: Ash
Some points other than the reading lamp :

Many times patients need to awaken periodically at night for some treatment, many times its small things ranging from changing IV bags to requiring help to get out of bed to use the bathroom. While at that, the others in the same room dont want to be disrupted from their sleep by switching on the main lights

Some sorts of illness (pretty much anything that comes with high body temperature..) tend to also cause very high sensitivity to light - Where light (at levels which are otherwise normal) or minor glare (from otherwise diffused and indirect light sources) can trigger headaches. The light output of the small lamp (typically few 100's Lm, so 40W GLS or 7..10W PL) is about right for comfortable light under those conditions

Patients at hospital are not at home and dont feel well, and generally having night lighting helps reduce anxiety and stress

Atleast here, The luminaire itself had been traditionally (up to 80s) a lamp with adjustable arm (like an architect's desk lamp) with 40W GLS. In the 80s and 90s it was mostly wall sconce with PL that can be turned up or down. in the 2000s a non movable PL luminaire integrated into the wall panel (where the oxygen supply etc are), which i think are less functional than the 2 former solutions
sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Hospital Room Lights « Reply #3 on: February 02, 2020, 06:45:56 PM » Author: sol
I believe this post relates to a relatively high intensity fluorescent fixture above the headboard.

Here, they use a special fixture that has two F32T8 lamps that shine downwards, and two that shine upwards. The upwards ones are articulated and can be flipped to shine down as well (4xF32 shining down). The down light is for reading and also for examining. If the doctor or nurse wants more light than two lamps, it is easy as flipping a lever. The switch is usually a pull chain with a long string attached to the bed so the patient can control it. The switch is a standard 3-level where you pull 1. for the bottom light, 2. for the top light, 3. for both and 4. all off. Most fixtures have heavily blackened lamps because of all that switching, though.

I searched online for a picture but couldn't find any. Integrated LED fixtures have taken over now.

Night lights can be integrated into this unit, but the hospital here doesn't have them.
LightUpMyLife

View Posts
View Gallery

https://www.facebook.com/ https://twitter.com/TedTa
Re: Hospital Room Lights « Reply #4 on: February 02, 2020, 07:50:17 PM » Author: LightUpMyLife
Most of our hospitals have little bedside controllers that can adjust the bed, control the TV, intercom with a nurse, and control both the up and down lights in one device, but I don't know what you call that either.
LampLover

View Posts
View Gallery
120/240VAC @ 60HZ

GoL PeterYachymczyk UCYBAif_ag4v8nIcCU3VAmag
Re: Hospital Room Lights « Reply #5 on: February 04, 2020, 08:31:43 PM » Author: LampLover
Most of our hospitals have little bedside controllers that can adjust the bed, control the TV, intercom with a nurse, and control both the up and down lights in one device, but I don't know what you call that either.

They are called Pillow Speakers and Curbell Medical is one of the most known makers of such a device

I vaguely remember my 47 day hospital stay in 2005 (I had a really bad case of pneumonia and almost died), but here I am today alive and well. Anyway a lot (but not all) of the hospital beds are made by hillrom the technology today is so advanced then what is was 15 years ago when I was in the ICU. They had those lights sol said they looked to have program start ballasts as they are frequently switched by the staff and the patient. The last time I was in that hospital (August 2019 ER visit) most of the lights are now LED

LED Free Zone!
All For HID, magnetic rapid-start Preheat & old-school electronic Only (no instant start F17T8 & F32T8 allowed)

sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Hospital Room Lights « Reply #6 on: February 04, 2020, 08:34:57 PM » Author: sol
The ones here are instant start. The tube ends are very blackened ; I imagine they don't last very long due to the switching cycle every time it is turned on or off.
HomeBrewLamps
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: Hospital Room Lights « Reply #7 on: February 05, 2020, 10:49:53 AM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
The hospital here has 4XF40 troffers in the ceiling, a wall fluorescent lamp with a single tube in it and then night lights

There is usually three or 4 troffers to a room.

The wall fluorescent fixture is controlled by a switch on the bed.

There is usually 2 night lights in a room. One near the window and one near the door. They're usually low wattage incandescent lamps like 15 watt.

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Hospital Room Lights « Reply #8 on: February 15, 2020, 07:02:46 PM » Author: Ash
For ceiling lights, the hospital in Nahariya uses Gaash 4300 and 4400 based strips (Europa versions on lower floors and Speedpack versions on higher, later built floors) with refractor box attachment. The box allows only downwards light, but it is diffused

4300s (1 36/40W tube) above bed's heads and 4400s (2 tubes) above the walkway along the opposite wall

I dont think they are any special version made for hospitals, its just that the hospital architect chose them and they fit well (back in the 80s when it was built)
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies