Author Topic: Creative Writing.  (Read 6019 times)
Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Creative Writing. « on: January 30, 2020, 05:01:37 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
As you may well have seen, I have been writing some poetry and posting it on LG.

The following poem was inspired by a visit to the post office, when we went to send off some lamps to another member on here:

There was a very long queue
But what on earth could we do
When there’s not enough staff
They must be having a laugh
It’s a right old mess
At the Post Office

Now it's over to others to add their creative writings  :)

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

View Posts
View Gallery

Tha SOX MADMANNN

Re: Creative Writing. « Reply #1 on: February 02, 2020, 12:05:06 AM » Author: 589
Hopefully I’ll get some time this week to sit down and contribute. Right now I got NUTHIN.

:lps:

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Creative Writing. « Reply #2 on: February 02, 2020, 09:22:57 AM » Author: Rommie
Sammi is amazingly creative, she's not only writing poetry, but has more than one book on the go plus a daily journal. Not to mention learning the mandolin and programming in Python (although not all at the same time  :D)

I get worn out just looking at her sometimes  ;D
« Last Edit: February 02, 2020, 09:29:33 AM by sox35 » Logged

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

merc

View Posts
View Gallery

Adam

GoL
Re: Creative Writing. « Reply #3 on: February 02, 2020, 05:39:25 PM » Author: merc
There was a very long queue
But what on earth could we do
When there’s not enough staff
They must be having a laugh
It’s a right old mess
At the Post Office

You seem to have visited the Post office in our town...?
Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Creative Writing. « Reply #4 on: February 11, 2020, 06:03:37 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
The latest bit of writing that I'm undertaking is a science fiction novel. I have written nearly 10,000 words since I started at the beginning of the month.  8)

Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Creative Writing. « Reply #5 on: February 11, 2020, 06:11:39 PM » Author: Rommie
The latest bit of writing that I'm undertaking is a science fiction novel. I have written nearly 10,000 words since I started at the beginning of the month.  8)
And at least one person on LG (not me..!) is a character in it  ;D

Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Creative Writing. « Reply #6 on: May 02, 2020, 09:47:30 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Ria mentioned that I was writing the book to an author, whose mailing list she's on. He replied, wishing me good luck.  :)

In her next email, she asked him if he would like to read the first chapter. He replied that he would...  ;D

I sent it off, and awaited a reply, which came through a couple of days later. He enjoyed it.!  :poof:

He said that it was fun, lively and inventive, and to carry on going as he sees potential in the story line. ;D

To get encouragement like this from a professional author is more than I could ever hope for.  :'-)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 10:48:44 AM by Mandolin Girl » Logged

Published Author ;D
James Thurber

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Creative Writing. « Reply #7 on: May 02, 2020, 10:38:06 AM » Author: Cole D.
I've tried writing stories and TV program scripts, but I run out of ideas before I can finish the storyline.  :P

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Creative Writing. « Reply #8 on: May 02, 2020, 10:41:43 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
The ideas are still coming with me, this book is nearing 40,000 words, and another one that's just for Ria and myself is knocking on the door of 200,000.! ;D

The journal that I've been keeping since the 11th of January 2016 is over a million words long now.!  :poof:
« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 10:43:46 AM by Mandolin Girl » Logged

Published Author ;D
James Thurber

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Creative Writing. « Reply #9 on: May 02, 2020, 10:51:36 AM » Author: Rommie
Ria mentioned that I was writing the book to an author, whose mailing list she's on. He replied, wishing me good luck.  :)

In her next email, she asked him if he would like to read the first chapter. He replied that he would...  ;D

I sent it off, and awaited a reply, which came through a couple of days later. He enjoyed it.!  :poof:

He said that it was fun, lively and inventive, and to carry on going as he sees potential in the story line. ;D

To get encouragement like this from a professional author is more than I could ever hope for.  :'-)

The only criticism he had was that some of the punctuation needed work, but that's nothing an editor couldn't deal with if/when it gets to a publisher. Praise indeed  ;D

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Creative Writing. « Reply #10 on: May 24, 2020, 12:39:23 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Here's another poem that I wrote yesterday.  8) :love:

This morning we finally got
A parcel that the postie brought
It’s the biggest bulb we’ve got
And boy does it get hot
It really is a wonderful sight
Our Atlas 2,000 watt light

I was also inspired to write one about sending the first chapter of my book to the author.  ;D

There’s an author that we follow
He’s a really amenable fellow
Ria asked him to read my book you see
Him saying yes has filled me with glee
His praise left me high as a kite
It has been an utter delight
And he’s said to have a look
At the New Hart’s Rules book
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 12:56:46 PM by Mandolin Girl » Logged

Published Author ;D
James Thurber

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Creative Writing. « Reply #11 on: July 18, 2020, 06:04:28 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Last week we changed our ISP, so here's another poem:

We have a new t’interweb provider
The make of router was the decider
With Sky everything was tied down
Which did make us really frown
Zen has supplied us with a Fritz!box
Now that’s a router that rocks

Published Author ;D
James Thurber

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Creative Writing. « Reply #12 on: July 24, 2020, 08:07:51 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
And another for you to enjoy:  ;D

John from Inverness paid us a call
From him we got a lighting haul
He really does deserve our thanks.
Various  wattages of Mercury lamps  :mv: :mv: :mv: :mv: :mv:
And SOX to feed our lanterns          :lps: :lps: :lps: :lps:
We hope that he soon returns

Published Author ;D
James Thurber

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Creative Writing. « Reply #13 on: October 16, 2020, 10:59:03 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
The ideas are still coming with me, this book is nearing 40,000 words, and another one that's just for Ria and myself is knocking on the door of 200,000.! ;D
I've carried on with the writing, which is one if the reasons I haven't been very active in the site.
Adventures of a Space Munky is now at nearly 55,000 words with four quite long chapters completed and a fifth under way.  ;D
I'm just waiting for new ideas to come to me.  :wndr:

Published Author ;D
James Thurber

WigWag
Re: Creative Writing. « Reply #14 on: October 18, 2020, 09:38:25 PM » Author: WigWag
Lovely works mandolin girl! I've never had the juice for poetry, though I do enjoy reading it. I have several "manuscripts" though for future novels.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies