Author Topic: Home Depot now has a large selection of HIDs.  (Read 4105 times)
HPS_250

View Posts
View Gallery

Long live the HPS and SOX!

UCAjfrNb4v77ybEBBYqxZxiw
Home Depot now has a large selection of HIDs. « on: February 03, 2020, 06:43:08 PM » Author: HPS_250
Well, at least in my area it does. I went to the Camarillo CA Home Depot yesterday and they had a whole shelf of HIDs, good prices too. There was HPS in 35W, 70W, 150W, 250W, and 400W. No 50W, 100W, 200W, 600W, or 1000W. There were MV lamps in 175-400W, both coated and clear. There were also metal halide lamps in all wattages 100-1000W, clear only. It seems like there are many more HIDs for sale there then there used to be. I ended up buying a 400W HPS, a 250W MH, and two clear 175W MV lamps! Is this happening in other area that people have noticed?

I’ve always been interested in all kinds of lighting, mainly incandescent and HID, and especially all kinds of sodium lamps (HPS/LPS). I’ll tolerate LED but I’m not a fan of it.
I’m not proud to say that my city has Devolved to LED.

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Home Depot now has a large selection of HIDs. « Reply #1 on: February 03, 2020, 06:47:07 PM » Author: Rommie
Well, at least in my area it does. I went to the Camarillo CA Home Depot yesterday and they had a whole shelf of HIDs, good prices too. There was HPS in 35W, 70W, 150W, 250W, and 400W. No 50W, 100W, 200W, 600W, or 1000W. There were MV lamps in 175-400W, both coated and clear. There were also metal halide lamps in all wattages 100-1000W, clear only. It seems like there are many more HIDs for sale there then there used to be. I ended up buying a 400W HPS, a 250W MH, and two clear 175W MV lamps! Is this happening in other area that people have noticed?
We officially hate you..!!  :P :D

Nothing like that here, sadly, all we can get is what's on eBay, quite often at silly stupid prices  :(

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

HPS_250

View Posts
View Gallery

UCAjfrNb4v77ybEBBYqxZxiw
Re: Home Depot now has a large selection of HIDs. « Reply #2 on: February 03, 2020, 07:00:32 PM » Author: HPS_250
Why am I hated?  ;D :o

They don’t sell ballasts at Home Depot, so I have to look at eBay for those. Like you said, often very overpriced.

I’ve always been interested in all kinds of lighting, mainly incandescent and HID, and especially all kinds of sodium lamps (HPS/LPS). I’ll tolerate LED but I’m not a fan of it.

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Home Depot now has a large selection of HIDs. « Reply #3 on: February 03, 2020, 07:03:39 PM » Author: Rommie
Why am I hated?  ;D :o

They don’t sell ballasts at Home Depot, so I have to look at eBay for those. Like you said, often very overpriced.

Awww, only kidding, we love you really  ;D

As I've said before, we can't get ANY discharge lighting retail here, never have been able to. They were only ever available at wholesalers, or now, online. I'm one of those people who likes to physically hold and examine something before I buy it, and with eBay you can't do that, and you have to trust that the seller packs them ok.

Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

HPS_250

View Posts
View Gallery

UCAjfrNb4v77ybEBBYqxZxiw
Re: Home Depot now has a large selection of HIDs. « Reply #4 on: February 03, 2020, 07:10:44 PM » Author: HPS_250
I’m also like that. Need to inspect the arc tubes and hold something in person before buying it!  ;D
I see SOX 55W lamps on Amazon right now, but I’m hesitant to buy one in case it gets broken in shipping. Since you’ve bought a lot of SOX lamps, do you think US $35 is a good price?
https://www.amazon.com/Philips-321513-55-watt-Pressure-Sodium/dp/B0062AWLY0/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=Low+pressure+sodium+lamp&qid=1580775016&sr=8-3

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Home Depot now has a large selection of HIDs. « Reply #5 on: February 03, 2020, 07:16:53 PM » Author: Rommie
$35, that doesn't sound too bad, does that include shipping..?

HPS_250

View Posts
View Gallery

UCAjfrNb4v77ybEBBYqxZxiw
Re: Home Depot now has a large selection of HIDs. « Reply #6 on: February 03, 2020, 07:25:36 PM » Author: HPS_250
There is free shipping. It says they have 315 left in stock. They also have 18-90W ones for $30-$40, and 135-180W ones for $90-$120. If I got one it would probably be a 55W. I don’t have a ballast to run it, but at least if I ever got one I would have some lamps that I got before SOX was discontinued.

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Home Depot now has a large selection of HIDs. « Reply #7 on: February 03, 2020, 07:29:43 PM » Author: Rommie
Go for it. We are trying to get at least one of every rating of SOX lamp made, right now we're just missing the 131W SOX-E and the little 10W one.

Would like some more of the linear SLI/H lamps as well, we have a 140W one but I'd really love to get a little 60W one. There are still some 200W ones available at one wholesaler here, so when the money situation improves we'll get one of those. Would also like some more of the old SO/H and SOI/H lamps, but they really are like hen's teeth to find  :-\

tolivac

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Home Depot now has a large selection of HIDs. « Reply #8 on: February 04, 2020, 01:14:07 AM » Author: tolivac
No Home Depot in my area--just TWO Lowes.they have a small selection of HID lamps-no fixtures.
Alex

View Posts
View Gallery

feel free to ask questions

Re: Home Depot now has a large selection of HIDs. « Reply #9 on: February 04, 2020, 02:58:14 AM » Author: Alex
Awww, only kidding, we love you really  ;D

As I've said before, we can't get ANY discharge lighting retail here, never have been able to. They were only ever available at wholesalers, or now, online. I'm one of those people who likes to physically hold and examine something before I buy it, and with eBay you can't do that, and you have to trust that the seller packs them ok.

Then you never found a really good electrical shape. These also have a selection of HID

Glück auf ⚒️

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: Home Depot now has a large selection of HIDs. « Reply #10 on: February 04, 2020, 05:29:40 AM » Author: AngryHorse
We have a little place in Northwich, 10 minute drive from me, it’s called Whitcroft DIY, there not a ‘shop’ like B+Q or Wickes, it’s just a little unit on an industrial estate, they stock the kind of stuff other’s are currently binning out, and you can usually get odd ball stuff like porcelain ES caps, HID lamps, T12 tubes, and fittings with slight defects along with a variety of tools and industrial stuff.
Last time I visited, I came away with some T12 65watt tubes, and a 21watt Philips’s SL lamp, with the slimmed down ballast, it’s a neat little treasure trove of electrical bits  :D
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 05:32:54 AM by AngryHorse » Logged

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Home Depot now has a large selection of HIDs. « Reply #11 on: February 04, 2020, 08:01:22 AM » Author: Rommie
You're lucky then, the only places that came close when I was growing up was Proops in Tottenham Court Road and Service Trading in Little Newport Street in London, both long since gone  :-\

HPS_250

View Posts
View Gallery

UCAjfrNb4v77ybEBBYqxZxiw
Re: Home Depot now has a large selection of HIDs. « Reply #12 on: February 04, 2020, 07:07:24 PM » Author: HPS_250
No Home Depot in my area--just TWO Lowes.they have a small selection of HID lamps-no fixtures.

There are no Lowe’s in my area. There is one the next city over but they have almost only LEDs.

HPS_250

View Posts
View Gallery

UCAjfrNb4v77ybEBBYqxZxiw
Re: Home Depot now has a large selection of HIDs. « Reply #13 on: February 04, 2020, 07:09:12 PM » Author: HPS_250
We have a little place in Northwich, 10 minute drive from me, it’s called Whitcroft DIY, there not a ‘shop’ like B+Q or Wickes, it’s just a little unit on an industrial estate, they stock the kind of stuff other’s are currently binning out, and you can usually get odd ball stuff like porcelain ES caps, HID lamps, T12 tubes, and fittings with slight defects along with a variety of tools and industrial stuff.
Last time I visited, I came away with some T12 65watt tubes, and a 21watt Philips’s SL lamp, with the slimmed down ballast, it’s a neat little treasure trove of electrical bits  :D

That sounds like a cool store! At the Home Depot near me you can still buy clear MV, HPS, and MH. They also have T12 and T8 and T5 tubes. They had one pack of 8-foot F96T12 fluorescent tubes left. Cool finds at that store!

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Home Depot now has a large selection of HIDs. « Reply #14 on: February 04, 2020, 08:07:51 PM » Author: Cole D.
I have seen the Philips HPS, MV and MH lamps at Home Depot, I don't think they had as many wattages as that though. HD no longer sells and HID fixtures here though. Although Lowes sells HPS and MH fixtures still as well as GE MV, HPS and MH lamps.

I usually buy all of my HID lamps on eBay though. With shipping are usually still cheaper than at the big box stores, and you can find more interesting shapes, and vintage ones as well.

I did get a few Sylvania MV 175W lamps at Lowes when they switched to the GE brand, because they were only a few dollars on clearance.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies