Author Topic: Equivalent for S54 ballast in UK..?  (Read 623 times)
sox35

View Posts
View Gallery

Mainly the electrical side of things

Equivalent for S54 ballast in UK..? « on: February 07, 2020, 10:27:33 AM » Author: sox35
Hi all,

We have just acquired a GE Lucalox 100W HPS lamp, which although from UK eBay could well be a US specification lamp, as the box specifies that an S54 ballast should be used. The cap looks like it could be either E39 or E40, it's difficult to tell, it fits both types of socket, which most of my other US lamps with E39 caps don't, so I'm not sure.

Will this lamp run on UK 100W SON gear..? I don't know the specification of the S54 ballast, but I do know that some US 100W lamps have a 55V arc tube. The last thing I want to do is blow the lamp up..!  Shocked

Edit: I tried it on our UK 100W ballast, and although it started ok, within a minute or so it got VERY bright and I wasn't comfortable running it, so switched it off. Anyone got any ideas..?

Edit 2: it seems to have settled down now..! Pictures to follow.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 01:55:57 PM by sox35 » Logged

Ria in Aberdeen
It'll be all right in the end, and if it isn't all right, it isn't the end  Smiley

sox35

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Equivalent for S54 ballast in UK..? « Reply #1 on: February 10, 2020, 10:02:26 AM » Author: sox35
A further update on this. The lamp does not run as expected, the ballast gets up to almost boiling point and the voltage is way below the 100V it should be for a UK 100W lamp. Still not comfortable running it on this ballast, what is the spec. for a US S54 ballast and what is the closest I can get to it..?

Ria in Aberdeen
It'll be all right in the end, and if it isn't all right, it isn't the end  Smiley

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Equivalent for S54 ballast in UK..? « Reply #2 on: February 10, 2020, 10:27:51 AM » Author: joseph_125
You might be better off importing a multi tap US spec S54 ballast that has a 277v 60hz tap and running it with that tap on 240v 50hz. The lower reactance from running it at the lower frequency is more or less compensated at running it at the lower voltage. Just make sure you get a HX type ballast instead of a CWA type ballast. CWA type ballasts depend on capacitors as part of the ballasting impedance.

Lamps specs for S54 are approximately 55v arc voltage and 2.1A arc current. I'm not sure if any European spec lamp has sometime with a similar current and voltage. The lower wattage US spec HPS lamps were designed to allow for operation on 120v with a simple reactor ballast.
sox35

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Equivalent for S54 ballast in UK..? « Reply #3 on: February 10, 2020, 11:01:06 AM » Author: sox35
Thanks for that, I'll have to see what I can find.

Edit: Found this one on eBay.

If it will work, I'll consider it, but import and shipping charges put the cost up a bit  Undecided
« Last Edit: February 10, 2020, 11:06:30 AM by sox35 » Logged

Ria in Aberdeen

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Equivalent for S54 ballast in UK..? « Reply #4 on: February 10, 2020, 05:57:10 PM » Author: joseph_125
No problem, BTW I did some looking through the Advance catalogue and Advance does make a proper 120/220/240v 50Hz multitap S54 ballast for export but you might have trouble finding one at a reasonable price. The part number for that is 71A80N1.
Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Equivalent for S54 ballast in UK..? « Reply #5 on: February 11, 2020, 02:17:59 PM » Author: Ash
Might work with 5 18W T8 ballasts paralleled. Use an ignitor which is rated for not less than 250W SON
sox35

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Equivalent for S54 ballast in UK..? « Reply #6 on: February 11, 2020, 05:24:42 PM » Author: sox35
Might work with 5 18W T8 ballasts paralleled. Use an ignitor which is rated for not less than 250W SON
Hmmm, that's an idea, problem being I don't have 5 18W T8 ballasts spare, and getting them and then finding out it doesn't work makes me wonder whether it's worth the expense and effort  Undecided

Ria in Aberdeen

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Equivalent for S54 ballast in UK..? « Reply #7 on: February 11, 2020, 11:28:32 PM » Author: Ash
Got a 2nd identical lamp ? The 2 lamps in series might work on 2x100W 230V SON chokes in parallel - That is if your ignitor could handle 2 lamps in series. MH ignitor have better chances at that than "SON only" ignitor. Still use 250W+ ignitor
sox35

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Equivalent for S54 ballast in UK..? « Reply #8 on: February 12, 2020, 02:17:23 PM » Author: sox35
Got a 2nd identical lamp ? The 2 lamps in series might work on 2x100W 230V SON chokes in parallel - That is if your ignitor could handle 2 lamps in series. MH ignitor have better chances at that than "SON only" ignitor. Still use 250W+ ignitor
I think the easiest option is just to import the correct S54 ballast. I'm told that operating a multi-tap ballast on the 277V tapping compensates to some extent for the difference in frequency, so it would appear to be the best option.

Ria in Aberdeen

sox35

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Equivalent for S54 ballast in UK..? « Reply #9 on: February 13, 2020, 11:05:30 AM » Author: sox35
Another question, just received a US-spec 35W Sylvania HPS lamp, it doesn't like our UK 35W ballast, is there anything that will run this..? It doesn't have an ANSI ballast number marked on it.

Ria in Aberdeen

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Equivalent for S54 ballast in UK..? « Reply #10 on: February 13, 2020, 01:59:06 PM » Author: Ash
Try 4x 4-6-8 or PL-S ballasts. Ignitor for 50W SON or higher
Print 
© 2005-2020 Lighting-Gallery.net | Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines