Author Topic: How to clean a light fixture  (Read 1467 times)
fluorescent lover 40

View Posts
View Gallery

How to clean a light fixture « on: February 07, 2020, 11:29:55 PM » Author: fluorescent lover 40
So, I posted pictures of the GE PF154. It's really dirty so how should I clean it? Everything is dirty. It has a paper label too.

Also, as a side note, what are the screws for the sides that hold the mounting bracket? I have the bracket, but the contractors couldn't find the screws. I don't have time to measure the holes.

Every bit of useful information will be written down and be done in the future.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 11:31:47 PM by fluorescent lover 40 » Logged
xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: How to clean a light fixture « Reply #1 on: February 08, 2020, 12:23:25 AM » Author: xmaslightguy
Take it out to the yard, Get the hose & a sponge or rag...should clean up nicely (you may have to take it apart)
..gonna go look for the pic to see what it is.

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

fluorescent lover 40

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: How to clean a light fixture « Reply #2 on: February 08, 2020, 12:28:34 AM » Author: fluorescent lover 40
What about the paper label? I don't want that to get wet.
wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: How to clean a light fixture « Reply #3 on: February 08, 2020, 08:52:39 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
Try good ol' Windex and a rag just be careful around the paper label .

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: How to clean a light fixture « Reply #4 on: February 09, 2020, 01:01:01 AM » Author: xmaslightguy
Quote from: fluorescent lover
What about the paper label? I don't want that to get wet.
Guess you wouldn't want to hose it down then .lol.
wide-lite 1000's suggestion should work well.

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

Alex

View Posts
View Gallery

feel free to ask questions

Re: How to clean a light fixture « Reply #5 on: February 09, 2020, 04:43:54 AM » Author: Alex
Hello,
On this point I would divide in two sections:
1) Cleaning the fixture for installing it or collecting it
2) A fully restoration for an inside use.

1)
I take in both cases, all electric components out. Then I completely disassemble the fixture after having it blowing it out with an air compressor. Then I usually first let the parts in warm or hot soapy water, and clean them with a brush. If there is rust I will remove it with steel wool and anti rust chemicals. If cleaning was okay I then usually clean the electric components. Sealed components like the ignitor, Terminal blocks act i treat the same way. (NOT Capacitors) Die ballast I usually clean with a brush and an air compressor, and often repaint it as on y fixture it all the time is rusted. Before that I save on vintage ones the label to reprint it. All component out of soapy water are the washed under floating water, the dried with an hairdryer. Screw i usually reuse after haven cleaned them with a wire wheel and tubing them with a slight amount of oil.

If the fixture will be repainted the rest of the paint is removed chemically. Then it is one more washed in dolby water and eventual bevor invisible rust point are cleaned. Then a wash everything with acetone. (Wear gloves and safety gale, also you should not respire the fumes) Then i coat everything with self etching primarily and then saprypaint it or directly painted with metal paint with a brush.

Parts the are made out of Fiber I usually treat wit extra care. Those are cleaned from the natural gunk on them in soapy water with steel wool. And than clear or grew spraypaintet ar least 5-10 coats to prevent any fibres from escaping.

Not then on very vintage fixture is a risk of Asbestos seals in the area of the Lampholder and other electric components. Extrem care is needed. The asbestos must be removed and even only being touched when it is completely wet, to prevent any fibres to get out.

Thats the procedure im using for light fitting but also every other vintage stuff. I restored all my stuff after that system.

Best Regards,
Alex 

Glück auf ⚒️

migette1

View Posts
View Gallery

Peter

migette1
Re: How to clean a light fixture « Reply #6 on: February 09, 2020, 02:32:19 PM » Author: migette1
I would agree, anything taken apart wiring how stuff goes back together I always take photos and notes.....this helps.....good advice about Asbestos always keep wet surprising where it can turn up...blue asbestos is the worse kind...take care can show up years later due to exposure.

Interested in the history of electric lighting and incandescent in particular and neon glow lamps.

Alex

View Posts
View Gallery

feel free to ask questions

Re: How to clean a light fixture « Reply #7 on: February 09, 2020, 02:36:36 PM » Author: Alex
Hello,
Just a thought i hade about asbestos still. Asbestos can also be found as a component that was used in wire insulation, Lampholders and terminal stripes. If these components dust when you touch them even after cleaning they contain asbestos. On terminal strips and lamp holder i would tape of the metal parts and spray paid it with a clear lacker, then it can be let original. Wire I would always change especially as you can get today new cloth wire. Asbestos was only in a few vintage clothe wires.

Best Regards,
Alex 

Glück auf ⚒️

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies