Author Topic: Light mishaps  (Read 2129 times)
F96T12 DD VHO

View Posts
View Gallery

Just chilling I guess

https://www.facebook.com/ Unreleasedwav UC2Uv7t9KgigOoT6blff2t3w i.d._official
Light mishaps « on: January 31, 2020, 04:45:05 PM » Author: F96T12 DD VHO
I get it. We’re not perfect as humans, sometimes it can lead to accidentally dropping a fluorescent light or a HID lamp. But now you have a cleanup process to do.
Sometimes it many not even be dropping it, maybe a maybe you wired something wrong and you accidentally killed the lamp.
There’s so many thing that we do that causes use to loose one of our lights.

Like I accidentally dropped a CFL while changing a light. A simple 10 second process turned into a 10 minute process

What are some of your stories of you loosing your lights
(No flame wars please)

Music Producer/Light Enthusiast

LightsDelight

View Posts
View Gallery

Fred Dirst is watching you

UCp-ouYxSgmqTWUY4RGWyAFg rollaman82
Re: Light mishaps « Reply #1 on: February 01, 2020, 12:19:33 PM » Author: LightsDelight
Oh God here is a long one :D :

I was moving house so I put all of my globes in a plastic crate until it decided to break open breaking only a Philips HPL-N 50W from the late 80s and it was new aswell :'(.

When I got to my other house to unpack I was shuffling around the globes until I heard a POP and there went my NOS tungsram 250W MV.

I had a weird phenomenon where my 18W SOX lamp won't strike unless I tapped it against something so I decided to replicate that with my only 50W MV, it was a sylvania HSL-BW 50W, remember that I broke my other one. As I tapped it it just shattered right in my hand.

I was mucking about with some lamps and I had them on my bench when one decided to roll of and break on the ground, it was a Philips HPL-N 80W.

I made a test-rig for 80W MV lamps when I decided to put a 70W in there but as I went to unscrew the lamp broke in my hand. It was a Philips SON-E-I 70W.

I went to count out all of my fluro tubes and I dropped a Mazda 40W T12 on the ground.

I was playing with my SL65 and had some EOL tubes on the floor but my phone decided it wanted to slide off of my lap and square onto the tubes. They were GE F18/33 an a thorn FL18W/W41.

I had a Stradalux I accidentally stepped on wrecking the bowl.

I had an optimum that got totaled when my pole fell down as I was trying to take it down.

I have a roadster that had an urban smash the bowl but falling on it.

I removed my urban 100W HPS out of service when the internal frame of the lamp broke the glass. It was a sylvania SHP-TS 100W TWINARC.

I had a 35W Sox lamp that died after running it on 35W HPS gear with the voltage tapping 10v lower than the mains because I thought it would increase the current by the 100ma it needed.

I think I should be barred from holding lamps again before I break more after the track record I have  :P

Keep discharge lighting alive

High Intensity

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Light mishaps « Reply #2 on: February 01, 2020, 11:50:52 PM » Author: High Intensity
Here are a few i can think of (thankfully all modern).

Had a GE F40T12, F20T12, and a Philips F30T12 fall over and shatter on three different occasions.

Had a generic F15T8 break a cathode after a cat knocked over the desklamp it was in.

Had a two-pack of Walmart pink LED filament lamps shattered after falling 3 1/2 feet onto soft carpet (while in their box), the same thing happened to one of my three Abco/Westinghouse 400w mercury vapor lamps (the box got pushed off a table by a cat, both the outer bulb and arc tube shattered).
CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Light mishaps « Reply #3 on: February 15, 2020, 10:29:48 PM » Author: CEB1993
I've had a few unfortunate mishaps with some of my lights. Thankfully I've never broken or damaged one of my collection bulbs.

One time I bought the generic brand Publix incandescent bulbs (made by GE in Mexico and probably quality control rejects) and I put one of the bulbs in my bedroom lamp. When switched on, the lamp buzzed and smoked and the bulb completely burnt out. The bulb probably had an air leak and had a dramatic EOL that resulted in my lamp socket getting burnt to a crisp and the smell of ozone in my room  :o I threw away the other 3 bulbs from the pack. I have avoided the bobo brand bulbs ever since!

Another time, I tried to tighten a 3-way GE bulb too much in one of my lamps. It shattered between my thumb and pointer finger. I got a tiny cut on my finger, but the worst part was cleaning up all the glass shards behind the table and under the bed.

I admit I've broken a few lamps in stores by accident. One time it was a GE F20T12 fluorescent that was on clearance for $1.00 that slipped out of its cardboard package and smashed on the floor. The other two times were Hungarian GE 3-ways that I knocked off the shelf because of my bulky sleeves on my coat. The thin cardboard didn't protect them from shattering.

I'm a big fan of halogens, so I hope I never have a halogen bulb fiasco because I have some high wattage and rare lamps that would cause a lot of damage if they exploded or caught fire. I'm always extremely careful with those and I don't like to leave them running unattended.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 10:33:51 PM by CEB1993 » Logged

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich

Re: Light mishaps « Reply #4 on: February 16, 2020, 04:35:42 AM » Author: AngryHorse
Smashed the very first HID lamp I ever bought, (a Thorn 80watt MBF), when it rolled out of the attic hatch, but instead of hitting the ‘soft’ carpet on the landing, like a computer guided missile, it hit a tin of shoe polish on the top of the stairs! typical!  >:(

Fried the Molybdenum foil of a 1962, 250watt Philips MB/U whilst trying to self ballasts it on a linear tungsten halogen lamp, like an idiot I didn’t think to use a cheaper lamp to test this with!!!  ???

Popped one of my Philips 500watt MBTF blended lamps at a vintage rally, whilst trying to start it on a home made 3 phase generator mounted to my stationary engine!  :P

Then at the same rally, put my, (unworking), 1000watt halide lamp that I used just as a display piece, into a bag, then not five minutes after, decided to throw a lump hammer into the same bag...........I don’t need to tell you the rest.......
« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 04:38:28 AM by AngryHorse » Logged

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

"Beauty fades, dumb is forever".......Judge Judy :D

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Light mishaps « Reply #5 on: February 16, 2020, 12:23:50 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
I've had a few incidents myself . Most notably , back in the early to mid 80's ,we were cleaning out my grandmother's basement and amid all the junk I found an original Lava lamp ! As I was carrying towards the stairs I quickly learned the base and the glass aren't actually attached ..... SPLAT !!!   :( :o  (my dad still laughs about that one !)

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

Michael

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Light mishaps « Reply #6 on: February 17, 2020, 04:34:03 AM » Author: Michael
Just last week while replacing a spent SON 50W/E.  I took a brand new bulb with its sleeve out of the shelf in my bucket van and climbed into the bucket. At this moment the bulb just fell out of its card board sleeve onto the street and I was expecting a loud bang but no it just rolled towards the road after its hard landing. The result is that the outer bulb is still intact but the inner coating just fell off of the glass leaving clear patches around its bulb.
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Light mishaps « Reply #7 on: February 17, 2020, 06:44:12 PM » Author: Rommie
I've mentioned this before, but it bears repeating, as hopefully it will help to prevent others suffering the same fate.

Way back in the early 1970's, I found a lovely old GE 120V 1000W lamp, dating from 1950, in a surplus shop in Tottenham Court Road, London. Along with a few GE and Westinghouse 100W lamps, I couldn't resist it, but at the time I didn't have a step-down 240-110V transformer capable of handling the wattage. So it sat unused for many years until just over 2 years ago, when it had its first ever lighting  8) ;D

All was well until August 2018 when we decided to light him again (Sammi had named him Thomas by this time  ;D). Unfortunately, I was a little too forceful tightening him into the lampholder, and the glass around the stem just above the cap cracked  :'( :'( :'(

It is still intact, so we have him up as a display lamp, but of course he will never light up our lives again  :'(

This is a warning, never tighten a lamp in a lampholder too tightly, it's not worth it, especially with a rare, probably irreplaceable lamp  :'(
« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 06:46:46 PM by sox35 » Logged

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

A2ZAlarms

View Posts
View Gallery

UCn-UWLJRLZh8NA46vkc1jSQ A2Z Alarms
Re: Light mishaps « Reply #8 on: February 17, 2020, 08:41:09 PM » Author: A2ZAlarms
I had a Philips instantfit led tube overheat and melt until it fell and smashed on top of an ATV, not fun to clean up. That happens a lot with the older instantfit tubes that use  S#&t metal.

I broke a Sylvania led tube used outside the barn by kicking a ball at it but it still worked.

I stepped through the hayloft floor in the barn while working on it and knocked the louvred light fixture of the ceiling smashing two duro test tubes and totalling the fixture.

I don't dislike High quality led lamps, but vintage usually wins.

Michael

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Light mishaps « Reply #9 on: February 19, 2020, 03:43:47 AM » Author: Michael
When I was about 13 years old I got my very first TL215W/33 RS VHO 96” tube. I leaned one end of the tube together with my first Powergroove onto the chair and I was sure that would be fine but when I was about leaving the room a very loud bang scared me. Finally the ends of both tubes fell on the ground, the VHO tube shattered but the PG survived as it fell right onto the VHO tube.
HomeBrewLamps
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: Light mishaps « Reply #10 on: February 20, 2020, 03:28:05 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
Then at the same rally, put my, (unworking), 1000watt halide lamp that I used just as a display piece, into a bag, then not five minutes after, decided to throw a lump hammer into the same bag...........I don’t need to tell you the rest.......

lol

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies