Author Topic: Hi from a (complete) newbie in love with lit filaments!  (Read 3029 times)
Iain P

View Posts
View Gallery

Hi from a (complete) newbie in love with lit filaments! « on: February 15, 2020, 03:38:59 AM » Author: Iain P
Hi all. I'm into vintage 9.5mm and 16mm format cine cameras and filming and I develop my own films in a bucket in the shed  Smiley. I bought a very old projector from the late 1930s /early 1940s recently, and there were a couple of original bulbs in the box. I have no understanding of electricity but wanted to see if they would light up, and connected them to a simple battery  pack and wow! LPS bulb I was hooked immediately!

The beauty of the dimly lit filaments was wonderful to see.  I wanted to know more about the history and construction of old projector lamps but quickly discovered there is very little information about them out there. Eventually I found my way here, thankfully.

Looking forward to educating myself and sharing close up images of the lit filaments in these complex and beautiful working pieces of history!

I'll post up the images in the galley or forum soon, but here's my blog post with pictures anyway,
Iain

https://9point5mm.blogspot.com/2020/02/the-beauty-of-vintage-projector-bulbs.html
fluorescent lover 40

View Posts
View Gallery

Lights are awesome! :)

Re: Hi from a (complete) newbie in love with lit filaments! « Reply #1 on: February 15, 2020, 08:25:35 AM » Author: fluorescent lover 40
Welcome to Lighting-Gallery.net! I hope you have a good time here, learn new things, and enjoy!

That projector and those lamps are really cool!

Power provider: Southern California Edison (SCE)

- I collect whatever I can.
- Here to work, here to serve, here to save.

sox35

View Posts
View Gallery

Mainly the electrical side of things

Re: Hi from a (complete) newbie in love with lit filaments! « Reply #2 on: February 15, 2020, 03:05:02 PM » Author: sox35
Hi Iain, welcome to the madhouse from the frozen North East of Scotland  Grin LPS bulb High Pressure Sodium Mercury Vapor Lamp CFL Bulb Man

If you like lit filaments, take a look at one of our latest acquisitions here  Grin

Ria in Aberdeen
It'll be all right in the end, and if it isn't all right, it isn't the end Smiley

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Mainly the mechanical side of things

Re: Hi from a (complete) newbie in love with lit filaments! « Reply #3 on: February 15, 2020, 04:23:32 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Hi Iain, welcome to the madhouse from the frozen North East of Scotland  Grin LPS bulb High Pressure Sodium Mercury Vapor Lamp CFL Bulb Man

If you like lit filaments, take a look at one of our latest acquisitions here  Grin

Welcome from me as well.   Smiley

Or for extreme filament garage door spring action have a look at this   LOL
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 04:27:12 PM by Mandolin Girl » Logged

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen)

There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber  -  US author, cartoonist, humourist, & satirist (1894 - 1961)

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Hi from a (complete) newbie in love with lit filaments! « Reply #4 on: February 15, 2020, 05:57:05 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
Welcome to LG Iain P !!!

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

Iain P

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Hi from a (complete) newbie in love with lit filaments! « Reply #5 on: February 15, 2020, 06:44:07 PM » Author: Iain P
Thanks for the welcome all. That's a lovely bulb Ria but the extreme filament is really mind-blowing! My fear and ignorance of "proper" electricity means I'll be sticking to low voltage battery sources for the foreseeable though  Bulb Man
sox35

View Posts
View Gallery

Mainly the electrical side of things

Re: Hi from a (complete) newbie in love with lit filaments! « Reply #6 on: February 15, 2020, 07:39:57 PM » Author: sox35
Thanks for the welcome all. That's a lovely bulb Ria but the extreme filament is really mind-blowing! My fear and ignorance of "proper" electricity means I'll be sticking to low voltage battery sources for the foreseeable though  Bulb Man
Yeah, that's our Photon..! He's a total nutter, but we love him  Grin

Ria in Aberdeen
It'll be all right in the end, and if it isn't all right, it isn't the end Smiley

rjluna2

View Posts
View Gallery

Robert

GoL
Re: Hi from a (complete) newbie in love with lit filaments! « Reply #7 on: February 18, 2020, 06:47:04 AM » Author: rjluna2
Welcome aboard, Iain Smiley

Pretty, please no more Chinese failure.

HomeBrewLamps
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226
Re: Hi from a (complete) newbie in love with lit filaments! « Reply #8 on: February 28, 2020, 06:29:44 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
Welcome to LG!  Color changing lamp

~Owen

Color changing lamp Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps Cool Color changing lamp

Print 
© 2005-2020 Lighting-Gallery.net | Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines