Author Topic: Type AF Asbestos Insulated wire  (Read 2593 times)
Mr. Orthosilicate

View Posts
View Gallery

Type AF Asbestos Insulated wire « on: September 16, 2019, 03:40:57 PM » Author: Mr. Orthosilicate
I want some information on type af wire. Is it safe to leave in place inside of a fixture, and is it safe to use a cord made of af wire, or will it shed asbestos fibers? I expect that you shouldn’t cut or strip insulation on af wire, I just want to know how you deal with it if you ever come across it.
nogden

View Posts
View Gallery

Nelson Ogden

nelson.ogden w8nwo
Re: Type AF Asbestos Insulated wire « Reply #1 on: October 05, 2019, 08:05:00 PM » Author: nogden
As long as there isn't risk of a short circuit from deteriorating insulation, I'd leave it as-is.
HomeBrewLamps

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: Type AF Asbestos Insulated wire « Reply #2 on: December 01, 2019, 03:40:14 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
Same as drilling thru the old slat asbestos siding to mount a new service. Been there for years but when you drill it with a hole saw, well.

Does it start to crumble?

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

migette1

View Posts
View Gallery

Peter

migette1
Re: Type AF Asbestos Insulated wire « Reply #3 on: February 11, 2020, 06:43:07 AM » Author: migette1
Before messing about with asbestos make it wet this will prevent the fibres from getting air born....better still renew the wiring and dispose of the old stuff carefully. Some war time radios sold in UK from America used a cord which was resistive covered with asbestos to prevent fires, this enabled to run these radios on 240v rather then using a transformer.

Interested in the history of electric lighting and incandescent in particular and neon glow lamps.

Alex

View Posts
View Gallery

feel free to ask questions

Re: Type AF Asbestos Insulated wire « Reply #4 on: February 11, 2020, 01:10:34 PM » Author: Alex
Hello,
As long as there is no movement, no electrical issue and no working on it it can be kept in place. Any moovment will cause fibre to get of and in the air. Therefor it should be handled on ly in Wetend state.

Best Regards,

Alex

Glück auf ⚒️

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies