Author Topic: Family Ancestry  (Read 1689 times)
CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Family Ancestry « on: March 01, 2020, 07:35:16 PM » Author: CEB1993
Do you know where your family and ancestors originate from?

In honor of St. Patrick's Day later this month, I can say I am partially Irish. I am a broad mix of Scottish, Irish, North Irish, French, German, and Czechoslovakian. I'd love to do an Ancestry.com DNA test to find even more about my roots.

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

View Posts
View Gallery

Tha SOX MADMANNN

Re: Family Ancestry « Reply #1 on: March 12, 2020, 07:35:16 AM » Author: 589
Don’t do the DNA test, it is unwise to hand such sensitive information to 3rd parties. Too easy for it to be vulnerable for nefarious activities. If the DOD is against it that’s something to take note of

https://www.npr.org/2019/12/24/791205583/pentagon-advises-members-of-armed-forces-not-to-use-home-dna-testing-kits

:lps:

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Family Ancestry « Reply #2 on: March 12, 2020, 12:27:16 PM » Author: Medved
Just a note:
The detailed "ancestry trees", quite popular in the late 19/early 20'th century, became very welcome source of information for Hitler's machinery to prove someone "is jude" everywhere under his power...

So better to not make the life any easier for any such potential future "equivalent"...

No more selfballasted c***

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Family Ancestry « Reply #3 on: March 12, 2020, 12:58:20 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
I know from family history that my make up is a real mixture of all of the countries of the United Kingdom, with a smattering of Flemish, Spanish and French thrown in.  ;D

My sister is currently compiling a family tree of both sides of the family.  :)

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Family Ancestry « Reply #4 on: March 13, 2020, 11:49:28 AM » Author: CEB1993
@589: Yes, I have heard of privacy concerns with giving away my DNA to a laboratory setting. That and someone else in my family did the test and was not impressed with the details of the results. Said we were Neanderthals way back. More recent results said we were from northwest Europe and the British Isles, a little vague for a 100 dollar kit. I’m coming to conclusions this test is not as good as it’s made out to be.

My Scottish Irish ancestors entered the USA through Pennsylvania after some religious disputes in Ireland. My French and German ancestors came to the USA through New Orleans and went up the Mississippi River to settle in St. Louis.

I have trace amounts of Cherokee Indian from a great grandfather on my mom’s side of the family. My uncle is first generation German and my aunt is Italian, but they’re both related by marriage and not blood.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 11:51:12 AM by CEB1993 » Logged

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Family Ancestry « Reply #5 on: March 13, 2020, 01:56:26 PM » Author: Rommie
If anyone wants my DNA they'll have a fight on their hands. Fortunately, as I have never been caught committed a criminal offence, the police don't have it  ;D

Only joking, honest  :P :lol:

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Michael

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Family Ancestry « Reply #6 on: March 13, 2020, 05:24:17 PM » Author: Michael
I‘m of a Polish decent. More precisely I’m a Goral with a hint of Tatar.
Nonetheless I never lived in Poland but I do speak some Polish.
migette1

View Posts
View Gallery

Peter

migette1
Re: Family Ancestry « Reply #7 on: March 14, 2020, 05:41:52 PM » Author: migette1
Just a note:
The detailed "ancestry trees", quite popular in the late 19/early 20'th century, became very welcome source of information for Hitler's machinery to prove someone "is jude" everywhere under his power...

So better to not make the life any easier for any such potential future "equivalent"...

Very wise advice, don't know mine but like it that way.

Interested in the history of electric lighting and incandescent in particular and neon glow lamps.

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: Family Ancestry « Reply #8 on: March 26, 2020, 03:48:41 PM » Author: CEB1993
On my mom's side of the family, we have a family book that my great grandparents made. It has lists of family names, stories, and other records. It's a really detailed account of half of my ancestors' journeys from the Blackforest of Germany, eastern France, and Czechoslovakia to the United States. We even have records of communication with the German emperor at the time, Frederick III. We have vast detail of how that side of the family entered the USA through New Orleans and settled in various places along the Mississippi River.

My dad's side of the family is a little more mysterious. We don't have many written records or family trees. We only know as far back as the 1780's right before they migrated to the USA from Scotland and Ireland. I'm not sure if we were part of any clans or have roots any further back from 1780's. We could be Celtic or Scandinavian really far back, but we don't know for sure. We left Ireland because of religious disputes. My Protestant ancestors didn't like living in Catholic dominated Ireland, so they moved to the USA in search of religious freedom. They entered through Pennsylvania and gradually migrated to the southeast, where there's a lot of other families with Scotch-Irish heritage.

I'm really glad we all came to the USA before the 20th century when Europe became a disaster area with two major wars and oppressive occupations by the USSR.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 03:57:17 PM by CEB1993 » Logged

Stop the lamp bans!

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies