Author Topic: I find myself liking an LED fixture!  (Read 2668 times)
Metal Halide Boy

View Posts
View Gallery

I find myself liking an LED fixture! « on: January 28, 2020, 11:29:45 AM » Author: Metal Halide Boy
I find myself liking the AEL Watch Light for some reason! I want one!

https://americanelectriclighting.acuitybrands.com/products/detail/658513/american-electric-lighting/watch-light-wl1/led-security-luminaire
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: I find myself liking an LED fixture! « Reply #1 on: January 28, 2020, 06:00:16 PM » Author: Rommie
 :o Oh dear, you're not feeling ill, are you..?  :o

(Sorry, couldn't resist  :D)

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: I find myself liking an LED fixture! « Reply #2 on: January 28, 2020, 06:01:18 PM » Author: AngryHorse
I’ve got both HID and LED street lanterns in collection, there’s nothing wrong with a bit of tech variety!  ;D

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: I find myself liking an LED fixture! « Reply #3 on: January 29, 2020, 01:28:10 AM » Author: Medved
I find myself liking the AEL Watch Light for some reason! I want one!

https://americanelectriclighting.acuitybrands.com/products/detail/658513/american-electric-lighting/watch-light-wl1/led-security-luminaire

Well, I find there one thing suspicious: It is apparently a fixture without any exact precision beam control, yet they claim with a 6500lm they replace 150W HPS or 250W MV. Well, those HID haveabout 12000lm output, so it means they use barely 50% efficient optics as a reference. That is way too low in my eyes for such beam pattern lantern...
So another case of lying about competitor performance. What else they are lying about? Does not sound lika a good partner for any business to me...

No more selfballasted c***

Metal Halide Boy

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: I find myself liking an LED fixture! « Reply #4 on: January 29, 2020, 08:21:15 AM » Author: Metal Halide Boy
Well, I find there one thing suspicious: It is apparently a fixture without any exact precision beam control, yet they claim with a 6500lm they replace 150W HPS or 250W MV. Well, those HID haveabout 12000lm output, so it means they use barely 50% efficient optics as a reference. That is way too low in my eyes for such beam pattern lantern...
So another case of lying about competitor performance. What else they are lying about? Does not sound lika a good partner for any business to me...

Almost all LED makers do that! Therefore, I always go by lumen output, not the manufacturer`s claims.
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: I find myself liking an LED fixture! « Reply #5 on: January 29, 2020, 02:40:07 PM » Author: Rommie
I’ve got both HID and LED street lanterns in collection, there’s nothing wrong with a bit of tech variety!  ;D
Quite right, incandescent, low pressure sodium, high pressure sodium, mercury vapour, metal halide, plenty of variety there :D  :P

Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: I find myself liking an LED fixture! « Reply #6 on: January 29, 2020, 03:47:34 PM » Author: AngryHorse
You missed fluorescent :o, you also need an induction lamp to add to your mix

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: I find myself liking an LED fixture! « Reply #7 on: January 29, 2020, 04:33:25 PM » Author: Rommie
You missed fluorescent :o, you also need an induction lamp to add to your mix
Yeah ok, I'll give you those two. I've never had an induction lamp but I have seen them in action, they're certainly interesting..!

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: I find myself liking an LED fixture! « Reply #8 on: January 30, 2020, 05:20:21 AM » Author: Medved
Almost all LED makers do that! Therefore, I always go by lumen output, not the manufacturer`s claims.

Not all. Reputable ones do show how they perform in the area and maybe compare with older model, but always showing the hard performance data (surface illumination,...), where the old system is wasting so how it is possible for the new one to suffice with less lumens. So you get enough data to judge yourself, if it applies for your application as well, or if not (so you may look for a different spec lantern)

But without such details it is BS spec.
The thinking is "do not scare off customers with details", so they wont hesitate to transition. That may work short term, but the only real outcome of such "marketing" would be (and already in many cases is) long term people loosing trust into the LEDs in general. Just because wrong products are specified for task they are not able to do and all that because with many, mainly cheap makers, there is too limited reliable information about the performance to allow to select really the correct products for matching tasks.

No more selfballasted c***

View Posts
View Gallery

Tha SOX MADMANNN

Re: I find myself liking an LED fixture! « Reply #9 on: February 01, 2020, 11:22:55 PM » Author: 589
The Eaton caretaker LED is also pretty neat too, my favorite design is the 1st gen, but the 2nd gen looks good too, plus either can accept standard clip on NEMA head optics. Gumball anyone?

It’s also nice that ~3K CT is finally being more widely offered so your gumball looks like it’s running a inc to some degree.

:lps:

M250R201SA

View Posts
View Gallery

JGriff021985 JMG717
Re: I find myself liking an LED fixture! « Reply #10 on: February 02, 2020, 03:04:43 AM » Author: M250R201SA
I, myself, personally like the Leotek GCJ and GCM. (Not really a fan of the GCL), and they look even better with 3,000K. 

"I know a thing or two about a thing or two...  I sure do."

Mustang07

View Posts
View Gallery

jon.leach.7
Re: I find myself liking an LED fixture! « Reply #11 on: April 03, 2020, 10:22:11 AM » Author: Mustang07
I actually like the AEL WL1 too myself, some rural electric companies have been replacing failed NEMA heads with them locally. They are installing them with the FCO "Zero uplight shields." They put out a good amount of light.

"I know what dude I am. I'm the dude playin' the dude, disguised as another dude!"

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: I find myself liking an LED fixture! « Reply #12 on: April 03, 2020, 08:59:47 PM » Author: Cole D.
Not bad, overall I like LED fixtures though that have the "ears" making them NEMA compatible with buckets, or any other fitting you wanted.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies