Author Topic: Which lamp buzz more?  (Read 2151 times)
micole66

View Posts
View Gallery

Which lamp buzz more? « on: March 11, 2020, 07:53:40 AM » Author: micole66
Mercury vapor lamp, metal halide lamp or high pressure sodium??
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Which lamp buzz more? « Reply #1 on: March 11, 2020, 08:26:29 AM » Author: dor123
All buzz the same. The humming noise comes mainly from the ballast that limits the current to the lamps, because its core vibrates 50 times per sec.
The ballasts that are used in the US, tends to hum louder, either because the core is exposed (Unlike the European ballast), or it consists of an additional transformer winding to rise the 120V of the US to 240V.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Which lamp buzz more? « Reply #2 on: March 11, 2020, 10:28:31 PM » Author: Ash
The latter is imagined out of the finger. There are many factors why either ballast design could be louder than the other, and it will be down to the individual luminaire anyway
HomeBrewLamps

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: Which lamp buzz more? « Reply #3 on: March 12, 2020, 12:18:19 AM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
Carbon arc lamps buzz more.

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

Jovan

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Which lamp buzz more? « Reply #4 on: March 12, 2020, 07:47:48 AM » Author: Jovan
All lamps have similiar buzzing sound.Mostly it depends on ballast how loud it would buzz.
LightsDelight

View Posts
View Gallery

Fred Dirst is watching you

UCp-ouYxSgmqTWUY4RGWyAFg rollaman82
Re: Which lamp buzz more? « Reply #5 on: March 22, 2020, 09:07:20 AM » Author: LightsDelight
dor123 -  In our case (50hz) the sound you get is from the vibration form the core which is actually at 100hz because it works on both sides of the sine wave. If you listen to a 50hz tone and 100hz you'll quickly find 100hz is closer but isn't as there is harmonics and the resonant frequencies of the core itself.

Keep discharge lighting alive

Saqib

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Which lamp buzz more? « Reply #6 on: March 23, 2020, 07:03:16 AM » Author: Saqib
Mercury vapor lamps, Metal Halide and High Pressure Sodium bulbs are part of the HID family of bulbs. Light emitted from metal halide is white and from High Pressure Sodium bulb is amber orange. While mercury lamps produce white light with a bluish-green tint due to mercury's combination of spectral lines. Mercury vapor lamps is the least efficent member of the HID family due to lower light output.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies