Author Topic: Need ideas to save lights  (Read 3291 times)
Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Need ideas to save lights « on: April 12, 2020, 02:25:31 AM » Author: Cole D.
I've been thinking about saving two lights for a while but have no idea if I can or how.

In my neighborhood the Cooper HPS NEMA that is hanging by the wires at the tree farm on my street I'd like to save. I thought the tree farm was abandoned because I never see anyone there, yet I looked up the owner and it's a local company. I thought about writing them and asking them if I could buy it but I doubt I'd hear anything back. Is it worth trying?

Also there's an abandoned GE Powr/Bracket covered in vines at a field that I pass sometimes south of town. I've had my eye to it a few years. I found it actually on property owned by an orchard. But that part of the land is all overgrown with a abandoned shed, etc and unused. Not sure how to get that especially since technically it belong to GEC since they installed it even though they long since cut the power lines to it and the shed and removed the transformers, yet left the poles and luminaire. I know there's no way GEC would send somebody to remove an old light they probably haven't used in years let alone sell it to me so I guess there's no saving that one.  :-\

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

HomeBrewLamps

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: Need ideas to save lights « Reply #1 on: April 12, 2020, 01:06:07 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
I've been thinking about saving two lights for a while but have no idea if I can or how.

In my neighborhood the Cooper HPS NEMA that is hanging by the wires at the tree farm on my street I'd like to save. I thought the tree farm was abandoned because I never see anyone there, yet I looked up the owner and it's a local company. I thought about writing them and asking them if I could buy it but I doubt I'd hear anything back. Is it worth trying?

Also there's an abandoned GE Powr/Bracket covered in vines at a field that I pass sometimes south of town. I've had my eye to it a few years. I found it actually on property owned by an orchard. But that part of the land is all overgrown with a abandoned shed, etc and unused. Not sure how to get that especially since technically it belong to GEC since they installed it even though they long since cut the power lines to it and the shed and removed the transformers, yet left the poles and luminaire. I know there's no way GEC would send somebody to remove an old light they probably haven't used in years let alone sell it to me so I guess there's no saving that one.  :-\

For the bucket light I'd contact the owner, or wait for it to fall.

For the power bracket I'd shimmey up the Pole, drill a hole in the wood, attach a pulley, tie the fixture to it and lower it down.

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

lights*plus

View Posts
View Gallery

George Liv Photo

GoL george.liv.37 UC_OfF2pa6aOcXLAut16jw9g
Re: Need ideas to save lights « Reply #2 on: April 12, 2020, 03:30:29 PM » Author: lights*plus
For some jobs like these, I carry my collapsible ladder in my car. I check the site out beforehand, see when it's appropriate to get there and stretch out the ladder without anyone knowing. Think of the tools you'll need. Typically mounted luminaires by a utility will need a lot of work to dismantle, so asking to remove it with permission will be better. Ground mounted wallpacks are the easiest to remove anonymously.
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Need ideas to save lights « Reply #3 on: April 12, 2020, 03:37:24 PM » Author: Rommie
I've said this before, but it bears repeating. Taking lights or anything else without permission may well be regarded as theft and could carry at best a warning or fine, at worst you could earn some jail time.

Is it worth it..? ALWAYS do your best to determine ownership before removing anything.

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Need ideas to save lights « Reply #4 on: April 12, 2020, 05:52:23 PM » Author: Cole D.
I've said this before, but it bears repeating. Taking lights or anything else without permission may well be regarded as theft and could carry at best a warning or fine, at worst you could earn some jail time.

Is it worth it..? ALWAYS do your best to determine ownership before removing anything.

Yeah I agree. Since always better to just find fixture on eBay and obtain it legal (even if it overpriced) than to get it for free or cheap, and breaking the law. Sometimes you just can't do anything if something belongs to someone else, even if they don't want it, or even realize it there, it still belongs to them.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

lights*plus

View Posts
View Gallery

George Liv Photo

Re: Need ideas to save lights « Reply #5 on: April 12, 2020, 10:44:42 PM » Author: lights*plus
When a luminaire is forgotten or neglected (this doesn't necessarily mean abandoned) and the property appears occupied, then I'd say you're pretty bold walking into someone's building or onto someone's land and attempting to remove the fixture!!!
Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Need ideas to save lights « Reply #6 on: April 12, 2020, 11:23:35 PM » Author: Cole D.
Well, taking things off other's property is illegal, after all.

Jovan

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Need ideas to save lights « Reply #7 on: April 13, 2020, 06:19:28 PM » Author: Jovan

Try to see in some abandoned objects are there any lights or go to recycling center and ask them for some bulbs or what I've done is to ask streetlight maintenance to give you some bulbs.If needed buy someone a beer :) Be careful because in abandoned objects there can be electricity,dogs,collapsing roof and etc and robbery is ILLEGAL.If you have any questions fell free to ask.
wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Need ideas to save lights « Reply #8 on: April 13, 2020, 10:32:51 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
Truthfully , it never hurts to ASK the property owner, the worst that can happen is they say no . However, if you DON'T ask you'll NEVER know ! I got my 700w OV-50 and 2 M-400's by asking . I've said it before and I'll say it again , I LOVE STREETLIGHTS ! I however , WILL NOT go to jail for them !!!!

ASK FIRST , you may be surprised  :poof:  by the answer you receive ! :poof:

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Need ideas to save lights « Reply #9 on: April 14, 2020, 06:06:20 AM » Author: Rommie
Truthfully , it never hurts to ASK the property owner, the worst that can happen is they say no . However, if you DON'T ask you'll NEVER know ! I got my 700w OV-50 and 2 M-400's by asking . I've said it before and I'll say it again , I LOVE STREETLIGHTS ! I however , WILL NOT go to jail for them !!!!

ASK FIRST , you may be surprised  :poof:  by the answer you receive !
:poof:
Yep. If you don't ask, you don't get. Although sometimes even if you do, you still don't get  :-\

But always worth asking. Not worth getting done for.

Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

lights*plus

View Posts
View Gallery

George Liv Photo

Re: Need ideas to save lights « Reply #10 on: April 14, 2020, 05:55:41 PM » Author: lights*plus
In a big city, there are numerous situations that you can't ask. The lights are literally abandoned and the premises vacated.

Here's a good example:
I was passing a vacated lot with odd overgrown bushes that appeared like typical ground mounted floodlight footings. The lush summer foliage prevented me from seeing anything on each drive by. So I googled the lot. Ok I thought, all I have to do is go there at night to investigate. Since no owner or company was evident by thoroughly googling, I went with numerous tools and "claimed" the 4 remaining 400watt Infranor floods. Two had lamps already gutted with the cover glass busted. All 4 multi-tap ballasts however worked well.

Would you pass on these floods?
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Need ideas to save lights « Reply #11 on: April 14, 2020, 06:45:55 PM » Author: Rommie
In a big city, there are numerous situations that you can't ask. The lights are literally abandoned and the premises vacated.

Here's a good example:
I was passing a vacated lot with odd overgrown bushes that appeared like typical ground mounted floodlight footings. The lush summer foliage prevented me from seeing anything on each drive by. So I googled the lot. Ok I thought, all I have to do is go there at night to investigate. Since no owner or company was evident by thoroughly googling, I went with numerous tools and "claimed" the 4 remaining 400watt Infranor floods. Two had lamps already gutted with the cover glass busted. All 4 multi-tap ballasts however worked well.

Would you pass on these floods?

I've been thinking about this. I was brought up to be honest, and the idea of taking something that isn't mine without consent is alien to my nature. However, I've been doing some reading up on the topic and I believe that if you can prove (and I mean prove, in a court of law if necessary) that you had taken all possible steps to trace the owner without success, and that taking the lights or whatever did not involve trespass, then you may just possibly have a defence. But it's a tricky situation and not one I would care to find myself in.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 06:48:08 PM by sox35 » Logged

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Need ideas to save lights « Reply #12 on: April 14, 2020, 07:10:40 PM » Author: Cole D.
I've been thinking about this. I was brought up to be honest, and the idea of taking something that isn't mine without consent is alien to my nature. However, I've been doing some reading up on the topic and I believe that if you can prove (and I mean prove, in a court of law if necessary) that you had taken all possible steps to trace the owner without success, and that taking the lights or whatever did not involve trespass, then you may just possibly have a defence. But it's a tricky situation and not one I would care to find myself in.

I agree.

That's the thing though, any property, even if abandon, has an owner (be it the bank or an individual), so taking anything off that property would involve trespassing either way. That's why I can't in good conscience, go on someone's property and take a light fixture, or other item, even if they clearly have no interest in it. The only way I would feel alright doing it, is if they specifically told me to.

When a house in my neighborhood, being demolished, there were some things I wanted there, but even though I knew they were going in the dumpster, I still didn't feel as if it was alright to just walk off with them...

lights*plus

View Posts
View Gallery

George Liv Photo

Re: Need ideas to save lights « Reply #13 on: April 14, 2020, 07:17:26 PM » Author: lights*plus
Typically a real estate company (for rent or sale sign) isn't interested, won't allow you if you call or will be suspicious, but since no guard/security or cameras are there it's easy to claim lights.

When totally abandoned and vacated, you are not stealing, you are SAVING.

2019 was my best collection year, both claiming abandoned (sometimes just forgotten) lights and kijiji finds for some cash. I've never been confronted by anyone when saving anything because no-one cares, it just looks suspicious, so I do it at night when I'm sure there are no cameras or tenants. If I ever get stopped or confronted, I'd say "..sorry, thought I'd SAVE this old luminaire".
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies