Author Topic: Cleaning out the For Sale/For Trade board  (Read 12256 times)
Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Cleaning out the For Sale/For Trade board « Reply #15 on: April 21, 2020, 09:33:09 PM » Author: Lightingguy1994
I support josephs idea. And also look into making them self delete after 60 days lol

Administrator #5

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Cleaning out the For Sale/For Trade board « Reply #16 on: April 22, 2020, 01:44:29 PM » Author: Rommie
I still think the for sale board should be set with a self deleting system so expired stuff doesn't accumulate.
I agree in principle, but the time limit would have to be set carefully. Too soon and people will have to re-post stuff, too long and things will accumulate as you say.

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Cleaning out the For Sale/For Trade board « Reply #17 on: April 22, 2020, 01:57:56 PM » Author: Lightingguy1994
My thoughts have changed given Josephs idea.

Dedicated ebay thread = 60 days self delete time
For sale or trade = 60 to 120 days

It must be pointed out that most buy and sell sites have these limits. You'll notice that Ebay has a time when the ad ends and the sellers have to renew their ad. Kijiji (Ebay owned) also does this as do many others. Why should the LG buy and sell thread be any different?

I have ads up on local buy and sell and when they are close to expiring, I get an email with a link to renew it, I'm sure LG can implement this into the interface? We can't be that lazy lol, its laziness to delete ads that makes these sites have limits

Administrator #5

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Cleaning out the For Sale/For Trade board « Reply #18 on: April 22, 2020, 02:05:31 PM » Author: Rommie
That sounds reasonable. It all depends on how easy it is to implement. This site uses a rather old version of the software as you know, so it may require an upgrade, which could well break a lot of things  :-\
« Last Edit: April 22, 2020, 03:11:33 PM by sox35 » Logged

Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Cleaning out the For Sale/For Trade board « Reply #19 on: April 22, 2020, 02:15:18 PM » Author: joseph_125
To be honest I never liked the idea of having the threads auto delete. The main reason I never liked the idea is that you lose access to the discussion on the thread itself which I sometimes like to go back to.

To address the issue with the boards getting packed over time, I'd say auto archiving them to a read only state after a certain amount would be better.
Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Cleaning out the For Sale/For Trade board « Reply #20 on: April 22, 2020, 03:05:54 PM » Author: Lightingguy1994
To be honest I never liked the idea of having the threads auto delete. The main reason I never liked the idea is that you lose access to the discussion on the thread itself which I sometimes like to go back to.

It is a good point you made, I too have taken time to read these old threads. But I have noticed a problem where these threads lack info as to what light they are talking about (no pictures or details) and clicking the ebay link hoping to see what it was only to get that ebay page with that "we looked everywhere" blerb lol.

I agree that this would require a lot of coding if not an update all together to implement and id certainly be appreciative of it and I'm certainly not in a rush to see this come to be but it is something i hope for in the future. After all its the years of innovating and patching that has made this site what it is today.

Administrator #5

Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Cleaning out the For Sale/For Trade board « Reply #21 on: April 22, 2020, 03:08:40 PM » Author: Lightingguy1994
What about a time limit that doesnt delete the posts but instead makes them easily identified as being expired this way people can avoid stumbling into them alltogether if they are looking for active postings. The poster themselves could always renew it if it is still valid

Administrator #5

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Cleaning out the For Sale/For Trade board « Reply #22 on: April 22, 2020, 03:17:16 PM » Author: Rommie
What about a time limit that doesnt delete the posts but instead makes them easily identified as being expired this way people can avoid stumbling into them alltogether if they are looking for active postings. The poster themselves could always renew it if it is still valid
Sounds like a plan. Again, it depends on how easy it is to do.

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Cleaning out the For Sale/For Trade board « Reply #23 on: April 22, 2020, 05:53:10 PM » Author: joseph_125
I believe you can change the thread icon on the forum posts so maybe perhaps someone can create an expired icon. That would probably be the implement. In fact maybe a new set of thread icons would be nice. The current set are kind of generic anyway.
Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Cleaning out the For Sale/For Trade board « Reply #24 on: April 22, 2020, 06:13:52 PM » Author: Lightingguy1994
Hmm good idea, I'll come up with some and propose them later

Administrator #5

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies