Author Topic: Mercury vapor in Tamarac Florida  (Read 3413 times)
Wireman

View Posts
View Gallery

Mercury vapor in Tamarac Florida « on: April 16, 2020, 07:25:35 PM » Author: Wireman
Hello all from the wireman! Found this amazing site while searching Google about the H34 Mercury ballast. I really don't know why there are two types of 1000 watt ballasts. I know how the H34 works lower voltage higher current in the arc tube but why this design as well as the more common H36? Also I recently came across a Sylvania 175 watt MV lamp in a bulged tubular shape. I have no idea how old it is I'd say at least 30 years. I always thought Sylvania MV lamps were an elliptical design. Any thoughts? Mercury vapor lamps just really fascinate me.

"Hell, there are no rules here. We're trying to accomplish something." - Thomas Edison

"Something always fires the light that gets in your eyes." Neal Peart

High Intensity

View Posts
View Gallery

EYE 175w MV

GoL
Re: Mercury vapor in Tamarac Florida « Reply #1 on: April 16, 2020, 09:18:45 PM » Author: High Intensity
Welcome aboard, Sylvania's older mercury vapor lamps were sold in the BT shape, as were a bunch of other brands at the time.

Old lighting is, and will always be, the best lighting.

rjluna2

View Posts
View Gallery

Robert

GoL
Re: Mercury vapor in Tamarac Florida « Reply #2 on: April 17, 2020, 06:13:10 AM » Author: rjluna2
Welcome aboard, Wireman Smiley

Pretty, please no more Chinese failure.

sox35

View Posts
View Gallery

Mainly the electrical side of things

missriaelaine
Re: Mercury vapor in Tamarac Florida « Reply #3 on: April 17, 2020, 06:28:31 AM » Author: sox35
Welcome also from the frozen North-East of Scotland  Grin Love Bulb Man

Ria in Aberdeen
It'll be all right in the end, and if it isn't all right, it isn't the end Love

CreeRSW207

View Posts
View Gallery

KEEP THESE ALIVE!

Re: Mercury vapor in Tamarac Florida « Reply #4 on: April 17, 2020, 09:13:54 AM » Author: CreeRSW207
Welcome to the crew, wireman!

Long live Mercury Vapor and Incandescent street lighting!

Wireman

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Mercury vapor in Tamarac Florida « Reply #5 on: April 17, 2020, 02:34:30 PM » Author: Wireman
Hey thanks everybody for the welcome! It's great to finally hookup with people who speak my language. Great to hear from you sox35! I was looking forward to visiting Scotland Inverness to be exact but that's on hold. I was wondering are sox lamps common in Scotland? They sure aren't in Florida. As an electrician since 2006 I've never worked on this type of lamp before. Is there any similarity to an hps ballast? Look forward to hearing from everyone soon!

"Hell, there are no rules here. We're trying to accomplish something." - Thomas Edison

"Something always fires the light that gets in your eyes." Neal Peart

sox35

View Posts
View Gallery

Mainly the electrical side of things

missriaelaine
Re: Mercury vapor in Tamarac Florida « Reply #6 on: April 17, 2020, 03:41:07 PM » Author: sox35
Hey thanks everybody for the welcome! It's great to finally hookup with people who speak my language. Great to hear from you sox35! I was looking forward to visiting Scotland Inverness to be exact but that's on hold. I was wondering are sox lamps common in Scotland? They sure aren't in Florida. As an electrician since 2006 I've never worked on this type of lamp before. Is there any similarity to an hps ballast? Look forward to hearing from everyone soon!
Hey, Inverness is where my other half Sammi (Mandolin Girl) hails from, not been there myself as yet though.

SOX lamps are becoming rarer by the day, there are very few in service around here, I only know of a couple of places, unfortunately  Cry

Ballasts, that depends, on 240V you can get away with a simple inductive choke ballast and a parallel ignitor, but historically they were run on leak reactance transformers. In the US it's somewhat more complex due to the lower voltage, I'm not too familiar with running SOX on 120V, but I'm sure plenty of people will be able to advise you  Bulb Man LPS bulb

Ria in Aberdeen
It'll be all right in the end, and if it isn't all right, it isn't the end Love

fluorescent lover 40

View Posts
View Gallery

Westinghouse OV-25s at sunset.

UCi55A3hASj7xOZ1eTRO1Jvg
Re: Mercury vapor in Tamarac Florida « Reply #7 on: April 17, 2020, 06:14:41 PM » Author: fluorescent lover 40
Welcome to LG wireman!

Good quality things are awesome. Cheaply made things are not.

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Mercury vapor in Tamarac Florida « Reply #8 on: April 17, 2020, 07:42:08 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
Welcome to LG !! Smiley Bulb Man

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

HomeBrewLamps
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: Mercury vapor in Tamarac Florida « Reply #9 on: April 25, 2020, 01:37:59 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
Welcome to Lighting Gallery!

~Owen

Color changing lamp Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps Cool Color changing lamp

Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
Re: Mercury vapor in Tamarac Florida « Reply #10 on: May 29, 2020, 02:34:01 AM » Author: Silverliner
Welcome aboard!

Administrator of Lighting-Gallery.net. Need help? PM me.

Member of L-G since 2005.

Collector of vintage bulbs, street lights and fluorescent fixtures.

Electrician.

Also a fan of cars, travelling, working out, food, hanging out.

Power company: Southern California Edison.

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Re: Mercury vapor in Tamarac Florida « Reply #11 on: June 06, 2020, 10:07:17 PM » Author: CEB1993
Welcome to LG Wireman  Smiley I'm in nearby South Carolina and collect old stock incandescents, halogens, and a few fluorescents. I am also interested in any type of HID lighting too. Looking forward to seeing your posts!

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents! Stop the lamp bans!

Print 
© 2005-2020 Lighting-Gallery.net | Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines