Author Topic: Help identifying HPS lamp assembly?  (Read 2160 times)
International96

View Posts
View Gallery

Help identifying HPS lamp assembly? « on: April 17, 2020, 01:02:23 AM » Author: International96
Hi, I'm wanting to find out what the make/model of this high pressure sodium (HPS) lamp assembly is? My guess is that its the GE 201SA model, but I'm wanting some second opinions to hopefully verify this.

I assume the "10" mounted on the lamp is the year of the lamp?

Also, is there any way to really know the make/model just by looking at it? Its all sorta new to me. Any tips/advice on this would be appreciated as well.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 12:45:58 PM by International96 » Logged
fluorescent lover 40

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Help identifying HPS lamp assembly? « Reply #1 on: April 17, 2020, 04:04:39 AM » Author: fluorescent lover 40
Hello, this is the GE SA-201. This is the easiest NEMA head to identify since almost all the others look the same.

The 10 means it's 100w HPS.

There are people who know more than me (I must admit, I'm not great with them.) so you can ask them for help.
Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Help identifying HPS lamp assembly? « Reply #2 on: April 17, 2020, 06:00:18 PM » Author: Cole D.
Yep, definitely a GE 201SA. As fluorescent lover 40 mentioned the heads have a unique shape. Also, notice the mounting flange is welded to the arm, and there's no separate through bolt arm. Those are a unique trait of GE arms.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

International96

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Help identifying HPS lamp assembly? « Reply #3 on: April 17, 2020, 10:22:24 PM » Author: International96
Thanks for the info, that definitely helps. Thats interesting about the 10 meaning 100W, I didn't know about that.

I believe my co-op uses these arms for new installs as well as replacements using the Evluma AreaMax 70W. Though if its on a different mounting arm, they use what's already there from the light being replaced, if that makes sense.
Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Help identifying HPS lamp assembly? « Reply #4 on: April 17, 2020, 11:46:14 PM » Author: Cole D.
Most likely it replaced a GE fixture then. My co-op replaces all HPS NEMA heads with Evlumas when they fail or lamp goes EOL, and they reuse whatever arm was there. So in my neighborhood most are on Cooper arms. I haven't seen a brand new Evluma install up close, but I saw one where they replaced an AEL ballast in arm fixture, so they had to install a new arm in that case, or perhaps one reused from elsewhere.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

International96

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Help identifying HPS lamp assembly? « Reply #5 on: April 18, 2020, 01:26:12 AM » Author: International96
Most likely it replaced a GE fixture then. My co-op replaces all HPS NEMA heads with Evlumas when they fail or lamp goes EOL, and they reuse whatever arm was there. So in my neighborhood most are on Cooper arms. I haven't seen a brand new Evluma install up close, but I saw one where they replaced an AEL ballast in arm fixture, so they had to install a new arm in that case, or perhaps one reused from elsewhere.
Exactly, thats what my co-op does as well.

The Evluma I mentioned in my other thread at my brothers house is definitely brighter out front than the GE 201SA it replaced, but suffers in regards to sideways casting of light, it has a brighter downglow but doesn't cast as far out as the HPS lamp did, which is a bummer.

I've noticed that the Evluma when it first turns on it flickers for about 15 minutes or so, then is normal afterwards...from what I've read via the manuals on the Evluma site, it may need programmed, but if thats the case then we'd have to let my co-op know. Other than that, works great.

Here's a few before after pictures..I can only attach 4 pictures per post, so one will be attached separately.
International96

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Help identifying HPS lamp assembly? « Reply #6 on: April 18, 2020, 02:05:42 AM » Author: International96
A follow-up to my post above. Here's up-close shot of the Evluma, you can see how they just replaced the HPS head with the LED one, re-using the original GE arm. They actually installed the LED on December 2, 2019, so its still fairly new. I'd love to know what they (my co-op) did with the light that they took down, but its too late for that unfortunately (they left before I was able to talk to them, it was a pretty quick install, like 15 minutes). Honestly, I miss the HPS lamp as that's what's been there since I was young, but the LED is nice in the fact that it will last about forever with little to no maintenance compared with the HPS, which required a service call for the electric company every few years. If I had to choose between the two, its a toss up. I honestly wish there was a mercury vapor unit there instead of the HPS and now LED, but I digress.

Attached also is a before and after shot I took comparing the light output between the old HPS and new LED. I do like the fact that the LED has a brighter, whiter glow compared to the HPS, but the HPS casted out farther on the sides (which was great when walking in the yard at night)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 02:13:30 AM by International96 » Logged
Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: Help identifying HPS lamp assembly? « Reply #7 on: April 18, 2020, 08:54:07 AM » Author: Cole D.
Yes I've noticed too that with the Evluma. I think they spread light more downward partly due to concerns about light pollution and bothering neighbors. The circuit board design of the LEDs also causes this, since the light is focused downward rather than the HPS or MV lamp which shines outward in all directions. There is another model of it though that has a domed lens rather than flat which may cast light outward more.

I hadn't seen any Evlumas flicker here. They do have quite a few Wi-Fi and app control capabilities, but I don't know how many of them my local co-op uses.

Personally the HPS glow was what I remember most and kind of miss seeing as much, although there are still quite a few fixtures in my co-op that are still HPS.

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Help identifying HPS lamp assembly? « Reply #8 on: April 18, 2020, 10:14:07 AM » Author: Rommie
Don't know if it's just me, but this thread is disappearing off the right side of the screen, those photos in the initial post are too big I think  ???

Would recommend photos go in the gallery rather than here.

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

International96

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Help identifying HPS lamp assembly? « Reply #9 on: April 18, 2020, 12:57:25 PM » Author: International96
Don't know if it's just me, but this thread is disappearing off the right side of the screen, those photos in the initial post are too big I think  ???

Would recommend photos go in the gallery rather than here.
Fixed. Not sure why it was doing that.

I'll also look into porting these into the gallery.

Thanks.
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Help identifying HPS lamp assembly? « Reply #10 on: April 18, 2020, 01:11:39 PM » Author: Rommie
Not sure why it was doing it, as I said I think the photos were too big, but it seems ok now.

Welcome to the madhouse site, by the way  ;D

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

International96

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Help identifying HPS lamp assembly? « Reply #11 on: April 19, 2020, 05:01:43 PM » Author: International96
Not sure why it was doing it, as I said I think the photos were too big, but it seems ok now.

Welcome to the madhouse site, by the way  ;D
I think what the problem was that I didn't do any cropping to the images before I uploaded them. I went ahead and removed them. Cropped, then re-uploaded and now seems to work.

Thanks, I appreciate that! I've learned a bunch in such short amount of time. You guys are great!
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies