Author Topic: Are these truly clear SBMVs?  (Read 2843 times)
RadiantMV

View Posts
View Gallery

Are these truly clear SBMVs? « on: April 24, 2020, 10:39:08 PM » Author: RadiantMV
So I've seen people say on the forum that these "metal halide" on ebay are actually SBMVs. I've been looking for clear SBMVs for quite a while

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/PREMIUM-QUALITY-SELF-BALLASTED-METAL-HALIDE-LAMP-400W-E40-5000K-HYDROPONICS/282148014398?hash=item41b155093e:g:c2UAAOSwPcVVuSIJ
joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Are these truly clear SBMVs? « Reply #1 on: April 25, 2020, 12:11:22 AM » Author: joseph_125
Yeah the lack of the white heat insulating paint on the arctube makes it look more like a mercury vapour arc tube to me. Interestingly it uses a halogen lamp and opposed to a standard incandescent filament to ballast the arc tube though. Perhaps the metal halide was a translation error from the halogen lamp in it.
Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: Are these truly clear SBMVs? « Reply #2 on: April 25, 2020, 01:14:42 AM » Author: Lumex120
That's a real SBMV lamp but it's 240v and so you won't be able to run it off 120v power, which might be an issue if you want to use it for a moth trap.

Unofficial LG Discord

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Are these truly clear SBMVs? « Reply #3 on: April 25, 2020, 01:20:27 AM » Author: wide-lite 1000
He can always run it off the dryer or stove power. The only issue I see is they have an E-40 base which I believe is a bit larger than our mogul E-39 socket .

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Are these truly clear SBMVs? « Reply #4 on: April 25, 2020, 01:31:42 AM » Author: joseph_125
The E26 sockets seem to accept E27 lamps pretty well from experience but I don't know about E39 sockets and E40 lamps. I don't have any to test lol.

Yeah I had to use a giant 2kVA step up transformer to fire up my 240v SBMV properly.
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Are these truly clear SBMVs? « Reply #5 on: April 25, 2020, 12:09:57 PM » Author: Rommie
The E26 sockets seem to accept E27 lamps pretty well from experience but I don't know about E39 sockets and E40 lamps. I don't have any to test lol.
E26/E27 do seem to be close for most purposes, but E39/40 is a different matter. I have several E39 lamps from the US and none will fit comfortably in an E40 holder, nor will E40 lamps seat properly in E39 holders. So much so that we use an adaptor where necessary.

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

RadiantMV

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Are these truly clear SBMVs? « Reply #6 on: April 25, 2020, 02:27:09 PM » Author: RadiantMV
That's a real SBMV lamp but it's 240v and so you won't be able to run it off 120v power, which might be an issue if you want to use it for a moth trap.

I'm quite new to lights so sorry if this is a silly question but what happens if you run it with lower voltage?
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Are these truly clear SBMVs? « Reply #7 on: April 25, 2020, 02:39:17 PM » Author: Rommie
I'm quite new to lights so sorry if this is a silly question but what happens if you run it with lower voltage?
Nothing, it just won't light.

Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

HomeBrewLamps

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: Are these truly clear SBMVs? « Reply #8 on: April 25, 2020, 03:51:06 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
Do you use a car battery to operate your lamps?

If so you could get a 12v to 240v inverter.

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Are these truly clear SBMVs? « Reply #9 on: April 25, 2020, 03:55:18 PM » Author: Rommie

Depends on the lamp wattage, inverters big enough to operate high wattage stuff don't come cheap. And they draw a LOT of amps at 12V  :o

Not sure how they'd handle discharge lamps either  :-\

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Are these truly clear SBMVs? « Reply #10 on: April 25, 2020, 04:50:20 PM » Author: Medved

First 400W means 40A at 12V, so quite impractical from a battery (car battery is able to deliver such current barely 20 minutes). Starting from higher battery voltage would make it feasible, but demand more batteries...

Second problem could be with the modified sinewave inverter output waveform. First it contains quite long gaps and second the shape itself may mean overload of the incandescent section. To prevent these problems you would need true sinewave inverter.

Gnerally a step up transformer would do way better job here...

No more selfballasted c***

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Are these truly clear SBMVs? « Reply #11 on: April 25, 2020, 04:54:07 PM » Author: Rommie
Yep, those are definitely SBMV, SBMH is a lot more complex to achieve and can't be done with a tungsten filament ballast, you need electronics.

I bought a couple just out of curiosity. They're ok as far as cheap Chinese stuff goes, but I wouldn't want to use them in anger.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies