Author Topic: Solar Brite 100W Self-Ballasted Mercury Vapor Lamp  (Read 1961 times)
Lumalux

View Posts
View Gallery

Alex's World of Christmas Lights!

Solar Brite 100W Self-Ballasted Mercury Vapor Lamp « on: January 30, 2009, 12:03:05 AM » Author: Lumalux
This is a clear glass self-ballasted bulb that I want to use for general lighting.

Does this bulb emit too much UV radiation to make it unsuitable for general illumination?  The bulb is sold as a reptile warming lamp and is noted for its higher UV output than CFL reptile lamps.  But I assume all SBMV lamps emit fairly high levels of UV radiation anyways.

Thanks!
Foxtronix

View Posts
View Gallery

Formerly "TiCoune66". Also known here as Vince.

GoL UCs4tSgJSCoCIMGThBuaePhA
Re: Solar Brite 100W Self-Ballasted Mercury Vapor Lamp « Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009, 07:23:27 PM » Author: Foxtronix
The borosilicate glass of the outer bulb should block most of the UV radiations. Mercury lamps begin to become dangerous when the outer bulb broke. Intact, they don't emit UVs in dangerous levels. Germicidal lamps and carbon arcs are worse...

don93s

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Solar Brite 100W Self-Ballasted Mercury Vapor Lamp « Reply #2 on: February 02, 2009, 09:06:15 PM » Author: don93s
I wouldn't use a reptile light for general lighting because the UV can be dangerous for human skin and eyes. Reptile skin requires UV for health. The reptile lamps have a special hardened glass to permit UV whereas regular MV/SBMV has glass that blocks UV.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies