Author Topic: Finds of the day  (Read 66256 times)
High Intensity

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Finds of the day « Reply #345 on: January 26, 2022, 08:03:21 PM » Author: High Intensity
Noticed that SVP relamped all the dead & cycling HPS fixtures along Stevens Creek, except for one that was replaced with a Leotek GC1. I believe they also replaced all the dayburning photocells, including one that was on a nearby 400w MV OV-25.
Econolite03

View Posts
View Gallery

Matthew E.

Re: Finds of the day « Reply #346 on: January 28, 2022, 12:25:00 AM » Author: Econolite03
Today I went to ReMart in Anaheim, which is surplus store that sells all sorts of personal and household items that are essentially new at discount prices. They have a whole isle dedicated to lamps, all LED products of various types. I was able to get a older generation Feit 60W equivalent LED with the cooling fins (pictures in my gallery) brand new in the box never opened for probably six years now.

Now on Linktree

Econolite03

View Posts
View Gallery

Matthew E.

Re: Finds of the day « Reply #347 on: February 08, 2022, 02:13:11 AM » Author: Econolite03
Recently, I drove through the city where SCE replaced everything with OVHs for no reason, and apparently they used those new tubular shaped Sylvania Lumalux lamps (they look like European SON lamps) in their 200 watt HPS OVHs. They perform just like any run-of-the-mill HPS lamps and I don’t expect them to last very long.
 :son-t:

Now on Linktree

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Finds of the day « Reply #348 on: February 09, 2022, 12:13:08 AM » Author: wide-lite 1000
2 possible reasons why they replaced everything : 1) They were trying to eliminate all extra stock for future LED "upgrade" . 2) AGE . A lot of times electrical/lighting is mass replaced at certain intervals for the purpose of reliability. This is the same reason that Police depts. replace their cruisers every 5yrs. or so . It's not because their worn out , it's just for the increasing possibilities of failures and the decreasing potential of reliability .

Take the previous streetlights , suppose tomorrow , one quits working , a repair crew is dispatched and they diagnose and replace a bad capacitor. Then a week or month later , it fails again . NOW it's a failed ignitor.  What's next ? Failed ballast ? Once the salary of the repair crew and cost of fuel for the truck , wear and tear on the truck , replacement parts for the lights are all factored in , it's cheaper to just replace everything than it is to try to maintain it . Plus, when you factor in that municipalities buy equipment such as streetlights in large quantities , the streetlight that would cost you or me $2-300 would cost them only maybe $100 .  For example , at my work , we use 12v 30 amp relays in our ambulances that cost $35 EACH from our supplier. HOWEVER , since we but them by the thousands , we only pay $3 each !!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2022, 09:11:03 PM by wide-lite 1000 » Logged

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

Econolite03

View Posts
View Gallery

Matthew E.

Re: Finds of the day « Reply #349 on: February 09, 2022, 12:26:05 AM » Author: Econolite03
Yeah, that’s a possibility. What’s kinda funny is a pair of the new OVHs have already quit working after like a week or two.
 ::)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2022, 12:36:17 AM by Econolite03 » Logged

Now on Linktree

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Finds of the day « Reply #350 on: February 09, 2022, 12:37:35 AM » Author: wide-lite 1000
Another thing to remember is that nothing is 100% reliable . When we changed out all of the 20+ yr old 400w MH high bays at work for new 6 lamp 32w T-8 fluorescent high bays ,  probably 5% of them were either DOA or failed within a few weeks of install . Ever noticed that when a new store or other lighting install is first powered up it's allowed to run 24-7 for a week or 2 ? The purpose is to help weed out some of the early failures . I guarantee that back in the day there were about the same amount of failures within all of the "bulletproof" lighting we collect . We see all of the stuff that lasted 30+ yrs and brag how great it was but I'll bet that the people who worked on it back in the day also dealt with a bit of premature failures . 

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

Econolite03

View Posts
View Gallery

Matthew E.

Re: Finds of the day « Reply #351 on: February 09, 2022, 12:51:17 AM » Author: Econolite03
Ahh, I see.

Now on Linktree

CreeRSW207

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Finds of the day « Reply #352 on: March 06, 2022, 08:26:32 AM » Author: CreeRSW207
On my trip to the coast yesterday i Noticed a few things. Noticed a 400w MV GE P-400C was removed from a building and nothing was installed in its place. Also removed were 2 NHEC owned 67w GE ERS1s.
What I did find is this.
- A Radial wave on someone's tree
- New Cree Traveyos installed in place of M1000s, all arms were replaced too even though only one arm fell off.
- Quite a few Black Leotek fixtures around Portsmouth.
- A Black 4000K Affinity light in downtown Portsmouth.
- A 150w HPS FCO M250R1 and a 250w HPS M400A missouts in Portsmouth.
- A Dunkin Donuts parking lot lit by a GE L-96A and a GE 101SA.
- Multiple Fluorescent and MV gas station lights.
- And best of all, I can confirm that Unitil is replacing Affinity lights with HPS! I saw that one of the POS 120w lights was removed for a Cooper OVZ!

Long live the Incandescent streetlights!
Power Company: Eversource
Startup Landscaping/LED retrofit business.

CreeRSW207

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Finds of the day « Reply #353 on: March 06, 2022, 08:47:10 AM » Author: CreeRSW207
Forgot to mention I saw plenty of Dayburning Affinity lights.  ::)
Even some were spot replaced in Dover with the newer version.

Econolite03

View Posts
View Gallery

Matthew E.

Re: Finds of the day « Reply #354 on: March 06, 2022, 12:35:47 PM » Author: Econolite03
- And best of all, I can confirm that Unitil is replacing Affinity lights with HPS! I saw that one of the POS 120w lights was removed for a Cooper OVZ!
LED to OVZ? That’s interesting.

I’m glad it’s a OVZ, because… you know… how I feel about the world famous award winning class-A SCE special OVH.

Now on Linktree

CreeRSW207

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Finds of the day « Reply #355 on: March 08, 2022, 08:05:39 AM » Author: CreeRSW207
I’m super excited and might just go on a reporting spree. :lol:

Yeah I don’t know what it is but those just don’t seem to be holding up like they should, all of the OVZs here are perfectly fine years later.

CreeRSW207

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Finds of the day « Reply #356 on: March 11, 2022, 05:39:42 PM » Author: CreeRSW207
Saw a brand new 250w HPS OVX installed in Laconia today! What's odd is that Laconia is an LED city and this light was installed on the pole right next to an 80w LED.

CreeRSW207

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Finds of the day « Reply #357 on: March 12, 2022, 09:45:06 PM » Author: CreeRSW207
Went down to Tewksbury, MA today and saw the following.

- AEL ATBMicro fixtures within Tewksbury.
- 5 Failures all in the ATB0 models in Tewksbury.
- 2 GE Evolve failures in Andover.
- A couple failures in the Northfield NH Affinity lights.
- 3 Spanwire looking LED lights in Tewksbury.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2022, 07:49:39 AM by CreeRSW207 » Logged

CreeRSW207

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Finds of the day « Reply #358 on: March 26, 2022, 08:44:02 PM » Author: CreeRSW207
Here are the finds from my two recent adventures.

Trip to Portland Maine:
- Sylvania GPM NEMA with special reflector
- Saw that the LEDs at the Maine mall were turning purple
- LED retrofitted M250R1s with old PCs.
- 310w HPS FCO Cooper OVMs

Trip to Nashua NH:
- A couple M1000s at a plaza
- 1000w MV GE Powrfloods on PSNH poles
- Saw that a school in Merrimack had replaced all of their utility rental MVs with their own LED cobraheads.
- Just nothing another odd fixture at a maple syrup house in Loudon.

CreeRSW207

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Finds of the day « Reply #359 on: April 23, 2022, 06:49:52 PM » Author: CreeRSW207
- NHEC 50w HPS M250A2s (Usually 70w)
- A Regent MV fixtures on an old steel pole with climbing steps and a bullhorn mount.
- NHEC GE ERL1s without the tall Ripley LED PC.
- Also seems like Ashland Electric is switching to Cooper fixtures as I saw a few Nano Archeons installed there.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2022, 08:09:59 PM by CreeRSW207 » Logged

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies