Author Topic: GE HID Replacement Guide to LED Lighting  (Read 2149 times)
M250R201SA

View Posts
View Gallery

JGriff021985 JMG717
GE HID Replacement Guide to LED Lighting « on: May 02, 2017, 03:57:19 PM » Author: M250R201SA
This is just a small sample, but GE seems to be pushing their EVOLVE product line pretty aggressively.  I've already heard that the M250R2 is to be phased out soon, and as of now is apparently built to order (none just sitting in a warehouse).  The M400R3 is apparently still manufactured regularly (not special order only) but I found this on the Current by GE website.

"I know a thing or two about a thing or two...  I sure do."

M250R201SA

View Posts
View Gallery

JGriff021985 JMG717
Re: GE HID Replacement Guide to LED Lighting « Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017, 03:59:56 PM » Author: M250R201SA
http://www.gelighting.com/LightingWeb/na/solutions/outdoor-lighting/street-roadway/evolve-led-roadway-fixtures.jsp

Here is the website I found this image on.  It is a .pdf document.

"I know a thing or two about a thing or two...  I sure do."

tolivac

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: GE HID Replacement Guide to LED Lighting « Reply #2 on: May 03, 2017, 01:42:24 AM » Author: tolivac
Love the tricks the LED lighting folks use---to get the same lumen levels the HPS would generate you would need TWO of the new GE LED lights to get the same light level the HPS does---so no real energy saving here-stick with the HPS instead-and better light for street lighting.Fog,rain,snow will blot out the cold blue light from the LED-the amber HPS light cuts thru those things and gives BETTER visibility.Look at the lumen output levels of the LED compared to the HPS.Also--good ol' mercury works better than LED in bad weather,too!Feel LED needs to mature some more.
Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
Re: GE HID Replacement Guide to LED Lighting « Reply #3 on: May 03, 2017, 02:55:06 AM » Author: Silverliner
The first post looks more like a replacement guide for the discontinued induction and M400R2/A2 fixtures. GE recommends either the M400R3/A3 HID or the Evolve series.

Administrator of Lighting-Gallery.net. Need help? PM me.

Member of L-G since 2005.

Collector of vintage bulbs, street lights and fluorescent fixtures.

Electrician.

Also a fan of cars, travelling, working out, food, hanging out.

Power company: Southern California Edison.

Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
Re: GE HID Replacement Guide to LED Lighting « Reply #4 on: May 03, 2017, 02:57:38 AM » Author: Silverliner
You forgot fixture efficiency. HID cobra heads are only 60% efficient optically. So you can use a 28,000 lumen LED to replace a 400w HPS cobra head. A 400w HPS lamp may be 50,000 lumens, but in a street light it would be closer to 30,000 lumens out of the fixture.

Love the tricks the LED lighting folks use---to get the same lumen levels the HPS would generate you would need TWO of the new GE LED lights to get the same light level the HPS does---so no real energy saving here-stick with the HPS instead-and better light for street lighting.Fog,rain,snow will blot out the cold blue light from the LED-the amber HPS light cuts thru those things and gives BETTER visibility.Look at the lumen output levels of the LED compared to the HPS.Also--good ol' mercury works better than LED in bad weather,too!Feel LED needs to mature some more.

Administrator of Lighting-Gallery.net. Need help? PM me.

Member of L-G since 2005.

Collector of vintage bulbs, street lights and fluorescent fixtures.

Electrician.

Also a fan of cars, travelling, working out, food, hanging out.

Power company: Southern California Edison.

dischargecraze

View Posts
View Gallery

Tom

Re: GE HID Replacement Guide to LED Lighting « Reply #5 on: May 03, 2017, 06:47:19 PM » Author: dischargecraze
"Fog,rain,snow will blot out the cold blue light from the LED-the amber HPS light cuts thru those things and gives BETTER visibility."

I thought white light could hit the ground better in foggy areas whereas orange light would not shine through for most part.
Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: GE HID Replacement Guide to LED Lighting « Reply #6 on: May 04, 2017, 02:42:36 PM » Author: Ash
You forgot fixture efficiency. HID cobra heads are only 60% efficient optically. So you can use a 28,000 lumen LED to replace a 400w HPS cobra head. A 400w HPS lamp may be 50,000 lumens, but in a street light it would be closer to 30,000 lumens out of the fixture.

A full calculation i done couple years ago on the Holophane HMA luminaires showed that this is not true. It is somewhere in the gallery
mdcastle

View Posts
View Gallery

mdcastle 26956281@N02
Re: GE HID Replacement Guide to LED Lighting « Reply #7 on: May 04, 2017, 07:32:05 PM » Author: mdcastle
60% is in the ballpark. The Type B GE Evolve Xcel LEDs, at 41 watts and 5000 lumens are supposed to be equivalent to 100 watt HPS at 10,000 lumens. I found that to be the case; I measured before and after conversion with an Extech light meter; the actual footcandles on the ground were 20% greater with the LED (no doubt brighter to account for lumen depreciation).
BlueHalide

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: GE HID Replacement Guide to LED Lighting « Reply #8 on: May 05, 2017, 12:47:29 AM » Author: BlueHalide
High Pressure Sodium has been a tough contender when it comes to the rivaling LED, HPS is already very efficient and unlike metal halide and mercury, it doesnt really decrease in lumen output over life, at least not significantly, not to mention the color also remains basically the same throughout life as well. There are also HID fixtures out there with very high reflector efficacy, like 90% reflective. With HPS you also know exactly what you are getting, the fixture will produce X amount of lumens, lamps will have anywhere from a 3-8 yr. avg life depending on brand, and it will make for a reliable fixture in which the components should last x number of years (or decades) given normal operating conditions.  With LED, all that information is still very much a gamble and unknown, its like playing Russian roulette, with 2 to 4 of the chambers loaded when you consider the vast quality variances of LED fixtures today.
Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: GE HID Replacement Guide to LED Lighting « Reply #9 on: May 05, 2017, 01:38:14 AM » Author: Ash
60% is in the ballpark. The Type B GE Evolve Xcel LEDs, at 41 watts and 5000 lumens are supposed to be equivalent to 100 watt HPS at 10,000 lumens. I found that to be the case; I measured before and after conversion with an Extech light meter; the actual footcandles on the ground were 20% greater with the LED (no doubt brighter to account for lumen depreciation).

The catch in the calculated example was with the illuminated area, not with the brightbess in the nearby area
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies