Author Topic: Retrofitting vintage lights to LED  (Read 15129 times)
M250R201SA

View Posts
View Gallery

JGriff021985 JMG717
Re: Retrofitting vintage lights to LED « Reply #15 on: May 20, 2020, 02:12:54 AM » Author: M250R201SA
I got my M250R1 from a scrapyard.  It was in terrible shape!  Mike McCann restored it for me to its natural beauty.  250w HPS

"I know a thing or two about a thing or two...  I sure do."

Edmund Ironside

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Retrofitting vintage lights to LED « Reply #16 on: August 19, 2020, 03:44:12 PM » Author: Edmund Ironside
Id have a LED retrofit in a classic fixture over scrapping any day.

Made in Sweden

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Retrofitting vintage lights to LED « Reply #17 on: August 19, 2020, 04:08:27 PM » Author: Rommie
Id have a LED retrofit in a classic fixture over scrapping any day.
Don't scrap, restore to original. Putting those things in a classic fixture demeans it beyond imagining  :sick:

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

DieselNut

View Posts
View Gallery

John

jonathon.graves johng917 GeorgiaJohn
Re: Retrofitting vintage lights to LED « Reply #18 on: August 21, 2020, 12:06:10 PM » Author: DieselNut
I have seen some super disgusting LED conversions and even T8 conversions.  I prefer leaving the fixtures original but sometimes a customer wants to convert.  I NEVER hack up the fixture and will only keep it as original looking as possible so it could easily be converted back.  Some of the best fixtures I have come across and serviced are the Sylvania 8 foot (4x40) tandems. Nicksfans and PowerGroove got some of them from me.  They have leads at the plunger type sockets where the light can easily be configured for preheat, magnetic rapid start, instant start (T8 or T12) or ballasted or direct wire LED without ever hacking up the fixture or even changing its actual appearance since the original tube sockets can be retained. 

Preheat Fluorescents forever!
I love diesel engines, rural/farm life and vintage lighting!

Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Retrofitting vintage lights to LED « Reply #19 on: August 21, 2020, 12:15:34 PM » Author: Lightingguy1994
I have seen some very good retrofits now and then. In those cases, the fixtures are intact and kept in great condition and have those really good LED T8 tubes installed that look exactly like a fluorescent, end caps and all. No holes, no cutting, no LED tape. Just a nice vanilla retrofit. Have absolutely no problem seeing those (except that its otherwise a bore)

Administrator #5

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Retrofitting vintage lights to LED « Reply #20 on: August 22, 2020, 02:17:06 AM » Author: joseph_125
Yeah, I've seen some Sylvania LED tubes that look like fluorescents from afar. They even metal end caps, they only indications they are LED is that the endcaps are slightly taller and the tube has that LED look to them.

TBH even during the T12 to T8 conversion era there were a lot of hack jobs. Anyway remember those 8ft T12 to tandem T8 retrofit kits that looked bad when installed by lazy contractors?

My old high school had some nice 1960s tandem 4ft T12 turret luminaires that were hacked up with a tandem T8 retrofit kit. Like turret sockets removed, reflectors replaced and such. I actually have a old pic on my computer I should get around to posting. Now why they didn't just rewire the turret sockets for T8 instead of hacking everything up is beyond me.  ::)
Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Retrofitting vintage lights to LED « Reply #21 on: August 22, 2020, 12:07:44 PM » Author: Lightingguy1994
So far I don't think I've seen any terrible T8 Tandemization personally, the ones I did see looked okay.

Shame about those turrets, would like to see the photo of the hackjob. They probably did it to charge more money as a simple rewire of the sockets to T8 would probably make less. Its hard to say, fixtures located inside businesses are subject to the poor choices of electricians, managers of the building and maintenance alike

Administrator #5

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Retrofitting vintage lights to LED « Reply #22 on: August 22, 2020, 12:39:44 PM » Author: Rommie
Nobody seems to understand  :'(

Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

Alex

View Posts
View Gallery

feel free to ask questions

Re: Retrofitting vintage lights to LED « Reply #23 on: August 23, 2020, 04:27:42 PM » Author: Alex
Nobody seems to understand  :'(

Hello

I would more say you don`t want to understand. The goal must be to preserve older fixture. But if you need good performance, then you need good technology. If you then want to have modern lighting or your customer wants that, you have two opportunities: scraping the Fixture and replacing it or retrofitting it. Especially when's the refits are as good as they look like the original lamp used.

You are strictly against it. Why? I don't know, and I don't want to know.

However this was not even the discussion them of this threat. Arcblue asked for a reasonable retrofit solution. Other members suggested lamps to him. Instead of suggesting any retrofit Lamp to him, you have the started to use this thread, like others, to use it for self profiling and to show how much you are a fanatic opponent to LED Technology. This is making the threads here every so often hard to read.

So know to the asked question by Arcblue:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Satco-S8779-20WA21-LED-HID-4K-120-277V-E26-New/163627470677?_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item2618f50f55:g:jLYAAOSwCV5ccocX&amdata=enc%3AAQAFAAACYBaobrjLl8XobRIiIML1V4Imu%252Fn%252BzU5L90Z278x5ickkfOCvCjTOBWK8pwriaolq5u%252BpdBYCXyQ7BuDvwJJ5MB9nn2D39wzD9n9PuecQJGUmGplOkoPOZ5CCPoEHhriHgd18qMEgZYn1anLqxOqyEUNTkPwViPVLLK2TkOJNubN2FPUHjTUbxBthz8JAc9eXrg3FZ8eo3OhqqvAJPYhfelxs97XRKmRkhvIGL2Piv4msi70FpkpyDjfMaI7B0%252B0PzvUFekomsJQfzRwQOjAvxxr%252BkyGhTzzH8y%252BfTUvVo2TeuV2YOp1fBTkaTGxX7oaK%252BR%252Fg%252Fi1JvNrnAZ53NpxrHz2G8%252FS%252FEWWEc5N51CdV3ab%252BSujSZmcqjr7JsRirkBHoX2zz%252Fy1xG17BWc%252Bg7HmC7g0%252BRENmIJh2t55bnoFj%252BRBIeyyd9thTdYybw4lX%252BDk8PhT3ugqG%252FkNziQFxKcdevJ9VSJqyjx0R6ywUcOfajzXPkdfMDHqJj4S74aRkMKp%252F%252FDVtbSqbZZtwMXfgrHblZGytUxY5CMLpg6fodGGRWQa019sLjn4OiMOkU9nBHckh1GhkhW2kTSwM7VwKoboFgibzQtFvLiOrdlCr8OTIr66GovtG1BqL9k0tCaO7L%252FVVyMl9k8yLfvB1RW4rKL0VgqsQNcSLFVNoJuEhCr9ie5fpJ3%252F2no2ih5%252BJGYPlF0h5R0XqFnp%252FQT7H1BK5KyaiFgjx%252BRLqOfDzmTtnYShHrSJo7uCBJvNFCAjWMfdpK%252F%252F%252FAYl84YcgrJIUPw1%252Bqb%252BBaEdfNRhkDAsUHWJyqT9QUqAc%7Ccksum%3A163627470677b6b5bc5d26c24542b4a3c955feb73c46%7Campid%3APL_CLK%7Cclp%3A2334524

I would try out this bulb here.

For LED Filament, there is no Eliptical shaped solution for the US market I know of. However Philips Europe has one on, so I think it is only a question of time, when one will be available for US Systems. It might be possible that, some manufacturers made them already and I have not found them. It might even be they appeared here on LG already but im not sure.

Glück auf ⚒️

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Retrofitting vintage lights to LED « Reply #24 on: August 23, 2020, 05:21:58 PM » Author: Rommie
@ Alex

I'm sorry, but you have proven you really don't understand, more accurately, you don't care, either. Well that's up to you. But to me, a traditional fixture is only worth saving if it retains the light source it was designed for. I would rather see it scrapped than desecrated by L*D's. A SOX fixture fitted with L*D cannot look as good as the original, as it's not SOX, simple.

Yes, I probably am fanatical in opposing L*D. But the main reason for this is the global determination to force them onto me and everyone else. It simply isn't possible to get other lamp technologies any more, they aren't being made. The last SOX plant in the world closed when Hamilton ceased production; even if people wanted to, it would take literally years to restart that again. THAT is what fuels my opposition, the simple lack of choice and other people deciding what is best for me.

There is no point in me saying any more, so I won't, at least not here. But I reserve the right to express my opinion as you have yours.

Take care.

Bubbler Tube

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Retrofitting vintage lights to LED « Reply #25 on: August 24, 2020, 11:58:19 AM » Author: Bubbler Tube
@ Alex

Yes, I probably am fanatical in opposing L*D. But the main reason for this is the global determination to force them onto me and everyone else is what fuels my opposition, the simple lack of choice and other people deciding what is best for me.

I AGREE, NO Body Should Be Aloud to Dictate What Another Person Has or Not Has in Their OWN Homes, That to Me as Dictator ish to Me!!!!!
 >:( :curse: >:(
What Happened to a Persons House is Their Castle?!?!
« Last Edit: August 24, 2020, 11:59:59 AM by Bubbler Tube » Logged

I LOVE Bulbs, Be They The Light up Kind or the Ones That Grow...

Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Retrofitting vintage lights to LED « Reply #26 on: August 24, 2020, 01:07:38 PM » Author: Lightingguy1994
I'm not by any means pro LED and have in the past been very critical of them, but the reality is they are here to stay along with the other modern garbage out there like Windows 10, computers with soldered in parts, cell phones and social media and lets not forget shoddy smart appliances.

My collection is based on the principle of running my favourite lights for as long as I can, if it wasn't for the threat of LED, I wouldn't have collected anything so there is that. I prefer to keep the lights original when possible, however I see retrofitting as a means of last resort. There is no excuse in my book for throwing away a perfectly good fixture given the options out there to get it going.

Administrator #5

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Retrofitting vintage lights to LED « Reply #27 on: August 24, 2020, 03:03:04 PM » Author: Rommie
My collection is based on the principle of running my favourite lights for as long as I can, if it wasn't for the threat of LED, I wouldn't have collected anything so there is that. I prefer to keep the lights original when possible, however I see retrofitting as a means of last resort. There is no excuse in my book for throwing away a perfectly good fixture given the options out there to get it going.
I said I wouldn't say more on this, but I have to reply to the above. My view is that the light source and fixture go together, you can't have one without the other. A fixture designed for SOX, HPS, MV or whatever else just doesn't look right fitted with anything else. Personally, I am more interested in the lamps themselves rather than the fixtures; the few I have were bought because it was the cheapest way to get both lamp and ballast at the time.

I love SOX lamps; fitting a fixture designed for SOX with L*D or anything else for that matter, just looks wrong and to preserve a fixture at all costs is not the way in my view. To me, the lamp comes first, a fitting to put it in is secondary. YMMV and I really will shut up now.

Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Retrofitting vintage lights to LED « Reply #28 on: August 24, 2020, 03:20:19 PM » Author: Lightingguy1994
When I wrote that I had indoor lighting in mind. It is easy to get indoor lighting going with near identical look and feel, especially incandescent.

It is a different story with outdoor lighting. It is not possible to make an LED retrofit to an HID fitting look and perform good. With those you must either have a stock of spares or replace the fixture. The only fittings that can look and work okay with LED retrofit are small wallpacks.

I prefer having a stock of spares despite high cost to acquire because no LED streetlight out there takes a replacable lamp and I strongly dislike throw away fittings. Now if they come out with a HID retrobulb with all glass envelope and LED filament with a single huge HPS arctube sized filament that glows amber in colour then maybe ill try that lol
« Last Edit: August 24, 2020, 03:25:01 PM by Lightingguy1994 » Logged

Administrator #5

Meme Pods

View Posts
View Gallery

A nice daylight CFL

UCKBWkfqE5WPMlFZmssITqPQ
Re: Retrofitting vintage lights to LED « Reply #29 on: September 13, 2020, 12:11:30 PM » Author: Meme Pods
i agree 100%

Down with the halogen bulbs

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies