Author Topic: UV Resistance of Plastics in Lighting  (Read 1915 times)
Beta 5

View Posts
View Gallery

UV Resistance of Plastics in Lighting « on: May 15, 2020, 06:02:26 PM » Author: Beta 5
Does anyone know how well Polypropylene withstands UV from lamps and the sun?

I know Polycarbonate tends to yellow and Acrylic/Perspex is quite stable but I haven't seen much lighting equipment made of Polypropylene.
From what I have read online PP does not stand up to being outdoors very well, but I have a 2D bulkhead with a PP diffuser that is intended for outdoor use, so maybe it has some UV stabilizers added?

Fluorescent Forever :lfl:

Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: UV Resistance of Plastics in Lighting « Reply #1 on: May 15, 2020, 07:06:31 PM » Author: Lumex120
PP normally becomes super brittle in my experience (using empty juice cups on homemade LED landscape lights). Are you sure the cover isn't HDPE or PET? I think both of those plastics are excellent at being UV proof

Unofficial LG Discord

Beta 5

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: UV Resistance of Plastics in Lighting « Reply #2 on: May 15, 2020, 07:16:46 PM » Author: Beta 5
The PDF data sheet of the fitting shows it having a PP cover and an ABS base. I do recall seeing one of these fittings in the past with a cracked cover. It seems strange they'd use PP when there are other plastics that are better suited for the job.

Fluorescent Forever :lfl:

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies