Author Topic: Chilean PHILIPS factory  (Read 1022 times)
Binarix128

View Posts
View Gallery
220V AC 50Hz, NTSC

GoL UCOUT2noI2R__jgPSJUjGRtA
Chilean PHILIPS factory « on: June 02, 2020, 02:02:18 AM » Author: Binarix128
I'm interested to know some info about that factory, at the time I only know that it was stablished in 1937 and it is located in Santiago, and no more  :-\ . I searched a lot in google and lamptech site and no more than I mentioned before. Santiago is a big city, with several industrial sites, and google mapping such factory will take me a century. I think if that factory stays standed and it's abandonated I think I can pick up some stuff if I know its location. If one of you know more about that please let me know it.  :)
James

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Chilean PHILIPS factory « Reply #1 on: June 04, 2020, 03:35:19 PM » Author: James
The only details I have about this are contained in a 1977 book which provides an overview of all Philips factories operating around the world at that time, and the organisational structure of the company.  See Philips Wereldwijd - unfortunately all in Dutch.  However Page 44 contains the details of the Chilean operations, which I can translate for you as below.  It lists four sites in Chile.

At Maipu was a factory for the production of incandescent and fluorescent lamps, as well as the metal caps.  It had 150 employees in 1974.  The same site also produced glass with an additional 57 employees, and black/white cathode ray tubes with another 150 staff.

At Santiago was another factory that had a division belonging to the Light group, but produced only control gear for that business.  It also assembled radios, television sets, and wooden cabinets for the same, with 370 employees.

At Arica was a third factory, producing personal care appliances (probably electric shavers).

The commercial HQ was also located at Santiago, although not necessarily within the factory there - no addresses are provided.  

All four sites belonged to the entity "Philips Chilena SA de Productos Electricos", which was a 100%-owned subsidiary of the NV in Eindhoven.  This leads me to believe that these sites were founded by Philips itself - usually in case Philips took over other competitors, the shareholding would not be 100% with Eindhoven.  If you Google the name of the company provided above, or the names of the cities of the factories, probably you could find out more.  So far I did not yet get around to doing this to research the histories of the Philips LATAM factories.  In case you do turn up anything of interest, please do let me know!

The book linked above makes fascinating reading, even if you cannot understand the Dutch a lot can be deciphered from the company names and locations.  It was written at a time when Philips was near the peak of its operations, employing over 400,000 people.  Such scale of operations for any company is difficult to imagine even today.  A useful overview appears on pages 154-159 which has a short listing of all countries of the world and the cities containing Philips factories, in matrix form listed against the H.I.G. (Hoofdindustriegroep, or business division).  If you look in the column "Licht" (Light), you can see where all the lighting or lamp component factories were based.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2020, 03:45:23 PM by James » Logged
Binarix128

View Posts
View Gallery
220V AC 50Hz, NTSC

GoL UCOUT2noI2R__jgPSJUjGRtA
Re: Chilean PHILIPS factory « Reply #2 on: June 04, 2020, 03:57:14 PM » Author: Binarix128
Thank you for all the help!
I spected that, Maipú, Melipilla, Quilicura are actually industrial sites where plastic items, food, chemical products and many others are maded. Also interesting to know that Philips maked CRT TVs here, in the info that I found only mentionates radios. PHILIPS Chilena S.A still exists with a stablishment in Providencia, Santiago, but only as importer, seems like there's no manufacturing anymore, but I will search in google maps and I will know.

Also interesting to know that PHILIPS also had a factory in Arica, where is more like a turistic region and their coasts are more like for fishing. Maipú where the most convenient since there's a lot of free space and the nearest to Valparaíso and San Antonio ports where products massively are imported and exported.

But again, thank you for help! I think if I find those factories interesting pictures will be uploaded here.  :)
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies