Author Topic: DANGEROUS chinese stuff  (Read 15614 times)
Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: DANGEROUS chinese stuff « Reply #75 on: July 17, 2020, 02:25:43 AM » Author: Ash
I now look at the host side - In the PC the USB data lines go straight to the chipset, and in some implementations even directly to a soldered CPU. Burn that and the device is a brick

According to an ECN from 2011, the host is allowed to burn out if data is shorted to +5V :
https://elektrotanya.com/files/story/2011/05/5V Short Circuit Withstand ECN.pdf

When this cable where Earth is the resistive conductor, will be used with anything that draws significant current, then it will lift its Earth level (vs that of the PC) by anything up to 4V+ (counting for some drop on the + wire too at high currents). As the device will normally clamp the data lines to the range between its Vcc and Earth, then for the data lines this condition is already close to being a short to +5V...

Binarix :

The Earth line must be left connected to both the PC and other device. It keeps the data lines reference voltage at the same level between the device and PC. Also, without it, both the device and PC are exposed for damage by pulling the data lies to voltages they are not meant to handle, by leakages from Y caapcitors in the adapter you use for the power, more significant ESD exposure, and other sources
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: DANGEROUS chinese stuff « Reply #76 on: July 17, 2020, 02:57:02 AM » Author: Medved
I did myself a wire for connect my external DVD burner. It was an adapter to connect the 5V from the phone charcher without the data lines and the 5v and the data lines from my computer to the external unit, for it can take the enough current for work. Then I decided to cut the 5v wires of the adapter that goes to the computer only leaving the data lines, and it didn't worked anymore. Is bad for the computer to mix 5v power supplies? Why the computed didn't detect my device when I cutted the 5v cables?

No idea.
Could be the adapter you are using is not able to respond quick enough to the power surge the motor draws (it takes 10's ms for many chargers to go from low power sleep mode when suddenly loaded from zero to some significant power), letting the voltage to sag too deep. When computer is used as a power source, it never sags, even when there is an inrush above the 500mA (if it is time limited). This sagging is of no problem when used for battery charging, but it could be killing for electronic functionality.
Or the adapter has no mains frequency filtering tank capacitor, so is able to deliver current only in 100Hz pulses. Again no problem for battery charging (charger controllers count with that) or when the load is minimal (like a single Arduino or so; the small secondary capacitor is able to maintain some voltage), but practically useless for direct supply for some higher power demand processor application.

No more selfballasted c***

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: DANGEROUS chinese stuff « Reply #77 on: July 28, 2020, 11:47:39 PM » Author: CEB1993
I’m noticing that Home Depot is now stocking more Feit Electric bulbs. I’ve heard horrible things about the Feit T3 halogens and all the incandescents seem poorly made too. Apparently Feit changes factories like I change underwear  :: They do have some sourcing from the Philippines and those seem like much better quality bulbs. I’d advise caution with any Chinese made Feit incandescent.

Westinghouse and Sylvania also source lamps from sketchy factories in China now. I’m using some Chinese amber flame bulbs in my new torch lamp. The light color is nice, but I don’t expect them to last and I don’t mind burning through them because they’re cheap.

The Chinese Sylvania incandescents are rubbish compared to their former USA made versions. I had a 4 pack of 15 watt Sylvania flame bulbs with one that was already dead out of the package  :( Not really dangerous, but low quality and annoying to have to replace so often.

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

Binarix128

View Posts
View Gallery
220V AC 50Hz, NTSC

GoL UCOUT2noI2R__jgPSJUjGRtA
Re: DANGEROUS chinese stuff « Reply #78 on: July 29, 2020, 02:17:21 AM » Author: Binarix128
The only halogen bulbs that I have aviable are quite crappy (westinghouse, local brands... All from china), they go EOL at 300 hours of use running based up, running horizontally or based down the bulbs lasts a lot more by some reason.
suzukir122

View Posts
View Gallery

suzukir123
Re: DANGEROUS chinese stuff « Reply #79 on: July 30, 2020, 06:43:51 AM » Author: suzukir122
Non lighting related, but I've heard a great deal about Chinese scooters being dangerous. Both gas, and electric.
Not sure about Chinese motorcycles though, or any other type of vehicles from China.

Interests:
1. Motorcycles, Cars, Women, and Lighting (especially fluorescent)
2. Weightlifting/staying extremely athletic
3. Severe Thunderstorms of all kinds
4. Food and drinks. So gimme them bbq ribs
Lighting has ALWAYS been a passion of mine. I consider everyone on here to be a friend

CEB1993

View Posts
View Gallery

Camden

Camdenburns93
Re: DANGEROUS chinese stuff « Reply #80 on: July 30, 2020, 08:28:54 AM » Author: CEB1993
Non lighting related, but I've heard a great deal about Chinese scooters being dangerous. Both gas, and electric.
Not sure about Chinese motorcycles though, or any other type of vehicles from China.
I believe that. They’re probably using low quality battery packs and electronics.

My old car, the VW Jetta was assembled in many places throughout the world despite being a German brand. There were some Jettas that were assembled in China, so that begs the question if cars that are made of foreign components in China are problematic? My particular Jetta was assembled in Mexico for the North American market and has been an incredible car, now 17 years old.

I wouldn’t trust most Chinese products for use in my cars. Unfortunately, all the 3175 light bulbs for interior dome lights are made in China. That’s what I have to use in the Subaru. They’ve worked well so far, and at least they’re very easy to replace in the event they suddenly burn out.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 08:30:31 AM by CEB1993 » Logged

Philips DuraMax and GE Miser forever!  Classic incandescents are the best incandescents!

Stop the lamp bans!

LightsDelight

View Posts
View Gallery

Fred Dirst is watching you

UCp-ouYxSgmqTWUY4RGWyAFg rollaman82
Re: DANGEROUS chinese stuff « Reply #81 on: August 07, 2020, 11:29:39 AM » Author: LightsDelight
I try not buy products from china but these days it's pretty much impossible. I will buy Chinese lamps to use so they can get wrecked in service and I can keep my good ones in great condition. Sadly a lot of companies have moved their production to china. I use Makita at work, I knew that they are a japanese company so that would mean good quality but if you look at the labels it says Made in China but still, they are of great quality and never had any problems. If I do buy from china I will make sure it comes from a reputable company. One plus from ordering from china is that its cheap, like really, really cheap. They sell a lot of stuff that you can't get here anymore. I recently bought a PTSN landline - 4G converter from china because over here we really don't need anything like that here so I got it from china through an Aussie eBay seller so it would come in a short time and I have absolutely no complaints with it.

I don't trust a lot of Chinese vehicles. I'll be fine with it if its for a company like Ford etc but, the off brand ones I'll never trust. A few years ago my Dad went over to China to have a look at some portable cabin buildings because there are no local manufactures that will make what we need, they only make portables for building sites and schools which don't fit in a caravan park. My Dad went on a trip on an ebike and it was made pretty crapily and he went over the handlebars and had to got to hospital before returning home. I don't really trust chinese Ebikes or scooters or really any one, that experience may've turned me away from those for good.

Keep discharge lighting alive

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: DANGEROUS chinese stuff « Reply #82 on: August 07, 2020, 03:21:34 PM » Author: Rommie
I will never knowingly order direct from China. If I buy an item in this country and it happens to be made there, well there's not a lot I can do about it unless I can source a similar item made elsewhere, but at least my money won't be going directly into a Chinese bank account.

The annoying thing to me is the rather underhand practice of some sellers on eBay in particular who show up when I click on "UK only" - they emblazon the Union Flag on their listings and say in big letters "UK Stock" but when you look deeper at the seller's details they're in China or Hong Kong or somewhere. That ought to be against eBay policy, but they don't do anything about it because they make too much money out of it  >:( :curse:
« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 03:37:29 PM by sox35 » Logged

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: DANGEROUS chinese stuff « Reply #83 on: August 07, 2020, 03:54:14 PM » Author: Ash
Didnt check battery drills/screwdrivers recently. The Bosch 5" grinder i bought a couple years ago is made in Germany, the CGW Camelflex cutting wheels for it are made in Israel, and the face shield i bought along is made in China
xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: DANGEROUS chinese stuff « Reply #84 on: August 16, 2020, 11:39:31 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Quote from: sox35
some sellers on eBay in particular who show up when I click on "UK only" - they emblazon the Union Flag on their listings and say in big letters "UK Stock"
Same type of thing with sellers in the US. eBay just goes by there the seller says the items are located, not where the seller themself is.

The listing is technically correct since the items are located where they said.
What eBay would really need is a "country of manufacture" option for searches.

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: DANGEROUS chinese stuff « Reply #85 on: August 17, 2020, 08:19:53 AM » Author: Rommie
Same type of thing with sellers in the US. eBay just goes by there the seller says the items are located, not where the seller themself is.

The listing is technically correct since the items are located where they said.
What eBay would really need is a "country of manufacture" option for searches.

Because I want to know where the seller is located. It is important to me; I have very strong personal reasons not to want to buy directly from certain countries. I need to know where the seller is so that I do not send money directly to those countries. If an item happens to be manufactured somewhere and then imported into the UK by someone else, there is little I can do about that, but I can choose not to put money directly into (say) a Chinese bank account.

It may seem a small thing, but to me it's a matter of principle.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2020, 08:23:53 AM by sox35 » Logged

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Binarix128

View Posts
View Gallery
220V AC 50Hz, NTSC

GoL UCOUT2noI2R__jgPSJUjGRtA
Re: DANGEROUS chinese stuff « Reply #86 on: August 19, 2020, 08:19:31 PM » Author: Binarix128
Will be a miracle to have an external (Chinese) sellers filter on Ebay, mercadolibre etc... But sadly that's the way how they make money now in days.
xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: DANGEROUS chinese stuff « Reply #87 on: August 19, 2020, 10:19:44 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
Quote from: sox35
It may seem a small thing, but to me it's a matter of principle.
Makes sense to me :)

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies