Author Topic: What do you use as a nightlight  (Read 11425 times)
Binarix128

View Posts
View Gallery
220V AC 50Hz, NTSC

GoL UCOUT2noI2R__jgPSJUjGRtA
What do you use as a nightlight « on: June 06, 2020, 03:48:13 AM » Author: Binarix128
What kind of nightlight do you use? Incandescent, fluorescent, neon, LED?

I prefer incandescents, spetially halogen since some incandescents hums at low levels of the dimmer.

I like incandescent since is the most similar to a candle, with a smooth CRI and a low level of blue light, wich helps a little to sleep. Fluorescent ones are a bit spiky in spectrum to my taste, and LED emmites huge amounts of blue light wich affects the sleep and can even be harmful. Red LED can be ok, but I don't like the effect much.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2021, 09:56:20 AM by Binarix128 » Logged
AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich

Re: What do you use as nightight « Reply #1 on: June 06, 2020, 04:04:45 AM » Author: AngryHorse
I have a dark landing at night, and quite a steep immediate drop down the stairs, (even during the day), so I run a little 2 watt LED filament candle lamp 24/7 all year round, along with the main light, in a small recessed can type fitting.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 04:07:29 AM by AngryHorse » Logged

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

"Beauty fades, dumb is forever".......Judge Judy :D

sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What do you use as nightight « Reply #2 on: June 06, 2020, 06:23:21 AM » Author: sol
I'm using mostly red C7 incandescent, of which I stock up at Christmas time. I have a couple of colour changing LED that can be manually set to any given colour, so I set them at red.

In the basement, I have a PL9 quad tube running 24/7 although I am pondering getting some GE spec fill lamps instead (for F8W strip).

At church, I use about 4xF15T8 scattered in the building. They also run 24/7.
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: What do you use as nightight « Reply #3 on: June 06, 2020, 07:25:24 AM » Author: Rommie
We have an 8W T5 emergency light in the hall above the front door, and the power-on indicator in it is more than enough to see by in the night on the way to the loo  :lol:

« Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 07:26:56 AM by sox35 » Logged

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: What do you use as nightight « Reply #4 on: June 06, 2020, 11:34:18 AM » Author: Cole D.
We have a clear ship night light with blue LED in the hallway that runs all the time. In my bathroom, I have 4W clear incandescent night light with switch that I use late at night or in early morning.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: What do you use as nightight « Reply #5 on: June 06, 2020, 11:44:35 AM » Author: dor123
I've an orange LED nightlight that is connected to a timer switch near my bed: https://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-164088

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

fluorescent lover 40

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What do you use as nightight « Reply #6 on: June 06, 2020, 12:20:08 PM » Author: fluorescent lover 40
Nothing special, but I have one of those theater style LED night lights with a warm white LED. I cut out the photocell as it just shorts the thing rather than actually turning it off. I just plug and un-plug it when needed. I have no intentions of upgrading it until it fails.
xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: What do you use as nightight « Reply #7 on: June 06, 2020, 02:20:22 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
My bedroom 'nightlight' is a string of green LED Christmas lights.
bathroom is a warm-white LED nightlight.
hall is a couple strings of white LED Christmas lights.

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

Binarix128

View Posts
View Gallery
220V AC 50Hz, NTSC

Re: What do you use as nightight « Reply #8 on: June 06, 2020, 05:53:33 PM » Author: Binarix128
What type of nightlight do you use for sleep in your room? I use a 28w halogen with dimmer, and I normally set it to minimum.
Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Re: What do you use as nightight « Reply #9 on: June 06, 2020, 07:44:43 PM » Author: Cole D.
I don't use any night light in my room when sleeping, light in the room bothers me. Sometimes if I stay up later, I have one of those swiveling LED night lights that I plug in. It has a built in photocell, so have to unplug it when I'm done.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What do you use as nightight « Reply #10 on: June 07, 2020, 01:08:00 AM » Author: Medved
I use a small capacitor (about 33nF/X2) parallel to the switch in the restroom and kitchen (because I sometimes need some water at night). When the switch is off, it still feeds the LEDs by about 100mW, enough for nighttime use.
But you have to experiment, which LED works well with that (most SMPS based LED ballast are just flickering on that, so a filament LED has a good chance to work well, as those generally use some form of a linear CCR).

No more selfballasted c***

Binarix128

View Posts
View Gallery
220V AC 50Hz, NTSC

Re: What do you use as nightight « Reply #11 on: June 07, 2020, 02:52:01 AM » Author: Binarix128
I really don't use nightlights at rooms, since I carry a camping LED light with a decent output when I need to go to the bathroom, and when I need water I just fill a bottle with water for the night. Using an LED filament is the best to see in the night what are you doing, while single LED diodes are good for see where are the light switches, but there are switches with a phosphorescent material that charges up when there is light and glows in the night. You can get few phosphorescent objets and place where you need light, or just buy a portable lamp like me.
Michael

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What do you use as nightight « Reply #12 on: June 07, 2020, 03:52:56 AM » Author: Michael
In my bath I have a vintage “Cerberus” tubular Neon with Mercury indicator bulb with mesh cathodes in a E14 lampholder pluged into the wall socket. I like how the orange Neon discharge is mixed with blue hue of the mercury.
Meme Pods

View Posts
View Gallery

A nice daylight CFL

UCKBWkfqE5WPMlFZmssITqPQ
Re: What do you use as nightight « Reply #13 on: June 07, 2020, 11:07:59 PM » Author: Meme Pods
My nightlight is a 25w incandescent bulb

Down with the halogen bulbs

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: What do you use as nightight « Reply #14 on: June 08, 2020, 03:03:27 PM » Author: joseph_125
I have a small LED nightlight in the bathroom and a 7w screw in LED in the hall. The bathroom nightlight uses the integrated PC, the on in the hall is on a timer.

I have some low wattage T5 lights (4-8w) that would be perfect for nightlights but they need to be installed and hardwired.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies