Author Topic: Non-cycling HPS/SON lamps  (Read 1702 times)
merc

View Posts
View Gallery

Adam

GoL
Non-cycling HPS/SON lamps « on: January 13, 2018, 12:26:07 PM » Author: merc
According a 2009 article (in Czech) > leading manufacturers have already prevented HPS/SON lamp cycling by "modifying their burner (arc tube) design".
The truth is, I've rarely seen a cycling SON lamp in the last few years.

I've googled a bit and found a Ceramalux ALTO Non-Cycling SON lamp, but probably most of decent made recent lamps have this feature.
Does anybody know some details on how the anti-cycling burner works? (I know that some ballasts can turn off the lamp after several cycles but I'm rather interested in lamps that don't cycle even on a regular ballast.)
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Non-cycling HPS/SON lamps « Reply #1 on: January 13, 2018, 01:15:06 PM » Author: dor123
The only three types of HPS lamps that I know that don't cycles, are the super high xenon pressure HPS lamps (They rarely cycles than regular HPS lamps at EOL), mercury free HPS lamps, and the unsaturated HPS lamps (Such as the Philips Ceramalux ALTO Non-Cycling, Sylvania Ecoarc SPX 69/108W , Philips Ceramalux Retrolux, Iwasaki/EYE Sunlux Ultra Ace).
Regular HPS lamps usually cycles at EOL, but I know about the Chinese Osram NAV(SON)-E 150W and 250W, that cycles only during run-up , than stabilizes and operates without cycling, until the next turning on. Operating these lamps continuously, may resulting in a non cycling HPS lamp, until they dims to orange SOX color and dies.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 05:10:46 AM by dor123 » Logged

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Non-cycling HPS/SON lamps « Reply #2 on: January 14, 2018, 05:29:31 AM » Author: Ash
As a normal SON lamp ages, at first it will only cycle rarely (only under specific line voltage conditions), and as time (~months) goes it will cycle more frequently. so it provides a good advance warning for replacing the lamp

I dont see whats the big objection to cycling SON lamps....
HomeBrewLamps

View Posts
View Gallery

SodiumVapor 105843202020668111118 UCpGClK_9OH8N4QkD1fp-jNw majorpayne1226 187567902@N04/
Re: Non-cycling HPS/SON lamps « Reply #3 on: January 14, 2018, 01:31:19 PM » Author: HomeBrewLamps
That is what my very first HPS lamp started to do... I remember a while back being told to disconnect the ignitor by you.... that worked like a charm, however it was a tad bit inconvenient. after that I bought an EYE 70W bulb, it ended up getting accidentally broken, still have the old one though... also Have several new 70w HPS lamps since then.

~Owen

:colorbulb: Scavenger, Urban Explorer, Lighting Enthusiast and Creator of homebrewlamps 8) :colorbulb:

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Non-cycling HPS/SON lamps « Reply #4 on: January 19, 2018, 02:30:58 AM » Author: dor123
As a normal SON lamp ages, at first it will only cycle rarely (only under specific line voltage conditions), and as time (~months) goes it will cycle more frequently. so it provides a good advance warning for replacing the lamp

I dont see whats the big objection to cycling SON lamps....
Most HPS lamps I've seen here in Kiryat Ata, don't behaves like such. When the Triangel near my hostel, firstly began to cycle, it cycles every days continuously from the evening to midnight. Than it stopped to be a cycler for a year (With only few one time cycles here and there), and returned to cycle continuously only recently, and not every evening. Yesterday for example, it didn't cycle at all.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies