Author Topic: Philips ML160 or MLL160? What do i have?  (Read 357 times)
Laurens

View Posts
View Gallery

Philips ML160 or MLL160? What do i have? « on: March 24, 2024, 08:53:17 AM » Author: Laurens
A short while back, i bought a spherical SBMV lamp from Philips at a local scrap/recycling company.
The etch is ML160. The wrapper says MLL160. But that other number (57...) that's on there, corresponds with what's on the lamp.

I'm now confused. Do i have the lamp with the fluorescent coating or not? It does not appear fluorescent - i can't see a hint of the red or pink color i know from normal coated MV lamps, neither do i see phosphor spectrum lines when looking through a spectroscope, only the ones from mercury and the incandescent continuum. The etch on the bulb also corresponds with non-fluorescent ones. But the wrapper does seem somewhat original to the lamp. I did not see any other lamps or wrappers in the heap of bulbs that i pulled this one from.

The lamp works well and gives a very interesting kind of light. It's cool white but it's also a bit 'off'. Most definitely a much 'worse' color than from my 1970s or 80s MLR160, which gives a highly pleasant kind of light.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2024, 09:03:42 AM by Laurens » Logged
AngryHorse

View Posts
View Gallery

Rich, Coaster junkie!

Re: Philips ML160 or MLL160? What do i have? « Reply #1 on: March 24, 2024, 10:08:02 AM » Author: AngryHorse
Interesting one?, I’ve got the 160 watt MBT/U from Philips and I think you have the frosted version similar to mine?, not sure why they changed the nomenclature though?

Current: UK 230V, 50Hz
Power provider: e.on energy
Street lighting in our town: Philips UniStreet LED (gen 1)
Longest serving LED in service at home, (hour count): Energetic mini clear globe: 54,050 hrs @ 10/2/24

Welcome to OBLIVION

Laurens

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Philips ML160 or MLL160? What do i have? « Reply #2 on: March 24, 2024, 11:13:43 AM » Author: Laurens
ML is just mixed light, MLL is mixed light but with phosphor coating. But later MLs are called just 'ML' again, despite now coming standard with the phosphor coating.
And this one? It appears to be just frosted. But then again, that 57 number is identical to the wrapper, which theoretically could be accidentally switched around but that would also be highly unlikely...

« Last Edit: March 24, 2024, 11:17:24 AM by Laurens » Logged
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies