Author Topic: Are solar eclipse filters suitable for watching HID lamps run-up  (Read 3315 times)
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Are solar eclipse filters suitable for watching HID lamps run-up « on: June 21, 2020, 05:04:05 AM » Author: dor123
Are solar eclipse filters suitable for watching HID lamps run-up and their arcs changes as the pressure rises?

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Bulbman256

View Posts
View Gallery

Mad Max

Bulbman256
Re: Are solar eclipse filters suitable for watching HID lamps run-up « Reply #1 on: June 21, 2020, 07:16:18 AM » Author: Bulbman256
Are solar eclipse filters suitable for watching HID lamps run-up and their arcs changes as the pressure rises?

Considering that they don't burn your retinas while looking at the sun, yes.

Collecting light bulbs since 2012, a madman since birth.

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Are solar eclipse filters suitable for watching HID lamps run-up « Reply #2 on: June 21, 2020, 08:11:20 AM » Author: dor123
The problem that I've seen,  some of them changes the color of the sun, so they might be not suitable for watching HID lamps like MH and HPS warming up from close, and capturing detailed pictures of the arctubes.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2020, 08:15:09 AM by dor123 » Logged

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

Bulbman256

View Posts
View Gallery

Mad Max

Bulbman256
Re: Are solar eclipse filters suitable for watching HID lamps run-up « Reply #3 on: June 21, 2020, 08:21:30 AM » Author: Bulbman256
The problem that I've seen,  some of them changes the color of the sun, so they might be not suitable for watching HID lamps like MH and HPS warming up from close, and capturing detailed pictures of the arctubes.

I have seen people use the coated glass out of a welding mask and it can show the arc pretty well.

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Are solar eclipse filters suitable for watching HID lamps run-up « Reply #4 on: June 21, 2020, 08:55:59 AM » Author: Medved
Safety wise both welding filters, as well as solar eclipse filters (decent ones) are good.
For the color distortion, you have to try yourself. There I would give the "eclipse filters" better chance, as the welding gear really isnt designed to maintain any color.

Contrary, the welding gear is often deliberately made to contain blockers for certain lines, which tend to form a glowing haze in the welding arc area, so reducing the visibility of the metals (the rod, welded components, the pool,...) itself. These are designed for the brightest glowing elementd common in the weld area.
E.g. for glass work are designed filters absorbing mainly the Na D-line, which tends to make the torch flames glowing, obscuring everything on the work. Same for copper brazing (absorbing the copper green)

But it depends what you want to observe on the HID, sometimes you may benefit from such selective blocking too (looking just for the arc core,...)...

No more selfballasted c***

Xytrell

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Are solar eclipse filters suitable for watching HID lamps run-up « Reply #5 on: June 21, 2020, 11:59:15 AM » Author: Xytrell
Neutral density (ND) filters are common photographic optical attachments that are specifically designed to attenuate intensity equally across the visible spectrum. They're only a few dollars and come in a wide variety of attenuations.
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Are solar eclipse filters suitable for watching HID lamps run-up « Reply #6 on: June 21, 2020, 12:10:40 PM » Author: dor123
I need a filter that is suitable for both watching through unaided eyes and my camera.

Bulbman256

View Posts
View Gallery

Mad Max

Bulbman256
Re: Are solar eclipse filters suitable for watching HID lamps run-up « Reply #7 on: June 21, 2020, 12:42:01 PM » Author: Bulbman256
I need a filter that is suitable for both watching through unaided eyes and my camera.

In this video aroud 4 min in the person filming uses a peice of welding glass infrount of the camera to see the arc.

Binarix128

View Posts
View Gallery
220V AC 50Hz, NTSC

GoL UCOUT2noI2R__jgPSJUjGRtA
Re: Are solar eclipse filters suitable for watching HID lamps run-up « Reply #8 on: June 21, 2020, 12:42:57 PM » Author: Binarix128
You can use welding glass number 12 or 14 like in the pic below
Oliver

View Posts
View Gallery

All Fluorescent Lighting / Sign Lights

Re: Are solar eclipse filters suitable for watching HID lamps run-up « Reply #9 on: June 21, 2020, 02:26:57 PM » Author: Oliver
You could just watch the warm up through a camera

If you reply to me, please "reply with quote" so I am notified of your reply!

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Are solar eclipse filters suitable for watching HID lamps run-up « Reply #10 on: June 21, 2020, 02:45:48 PM » Author: Rommie
That doesn't always produce the best end result for a photo, though.

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Binarix128

View Posts
View Gallery
220V AC 50Hz, NTSC

GoL UCOUT2noI2R__jgPSJUjGRtA
Re: Are solar eclipse filters suitable for watching HID lamps run-up « Reply #11 on: June 21, 2020, 02:56:52 PM » Author: Binarix128
That doesn't always produce the best end result for a photo, though.
Watching the warm up through a camera gives good results. The bad news about the welder's glass is that you lost all the colors and only see green, but if you want to see the arc or a filament of a lamp is the best options, I reccomend glass number 12, 14 and up is too dark.
Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Are solar eclipse filters suitable for watching HID lamps run-up « Reply #12 on: June 22, 2020, 01:23:15 PM » Author: Ash
Project the arc onto a big screen (wall etc) using a magnifier lens. Also, would reflection from transparent glass drop the brightness well enough ?
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Are solar eclipse filters suitable for watching HID lamps run-up « Reply #13 on: June 22, 2020, 01:46:15 PM » Author: dor123
It is hard to me to project on a big screen. I want to watch and capture it directly using a filter.

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Are solar eclipse filters suitable for watching HID lamps run-up « Reply #14 on: June 22, 2020, 01:49:34 PM » Author: Ash
Projecting can be done with as little as a magnifying glass, and a mirror if you want to direct the projection more conveniently
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies