Author Topic: Are there any US members who use voltages higher than 120v for lighting?  (Read 1028 times)
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Are there any US members who use voltages higher than 120v for lighting? « on: November 26, 2020, 04:43:42 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
Just curious if any US members besides funkybulb, silverliner, xmaslightguy, and DieselNut who use voltages higher than 120v for lighting such as 208v, 277v, 347v, and 480v?
« Last Edit: November 26, 2020, 04:45:36 PM by WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA » Logged

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

HPS_250

View Posts
View Gallery

Long live the HPS and SOX!

UCAjfrNb4v77ybEBBYqxZxiw
Re: Are there any US members who use voltages higher than 120v for lighting? « Reply #1 on: November 26, 2020, 04:53:51 PM » Author: HPS_250
I just use regular old 120v, and that’s all that is available in my house because appliances that would normally used 240v (oven, stove, dryer, etc.) are all natural gas.

I’ve always been interested in all kinds of lighting, mainly incandescent and HID, and especially all kinds of sodium lamps (HPS/LPS). I’ll tolerate LED but I’m not a fan of it.
I’m not proud to say that my city has Devolved to LED.

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Are there any US members who use voltages higher than 120v for lighting? « Reply #2 on: November 26, 2020, 06:19:20 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
I do ! My 1000w Wide-Lite is currently wired to 240v 60hz . Eventually , all of my exterior HID lights will be hooked to 240v .
I have several streetlights that have ballasts only rated for 240v or higher.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2020, 06:35:18 PM by wide-lite 1000 » Logged

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

tolivac

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Are there any US members who use voltages higher than 120v for lighting? « Reply #3 on: November 27, 2020, 12:59:53 AM » Author: tolivac
I have two 1Kw CMH lights that need 240V primary voltage to their ballasts.Use a 2Kva 120-240 step up transformer.Works just fine.
HPS_250

View Posts
View Gallery

Long live the HPS and SOX!

UCAjfrNb4v77ybEBBYqxZxiw
Re: Are there any US members who use voltages higher than 120v for lighting? « Reply #4 on: November 27, 2020, 11:18:20 AM » Author: HPS_250
I have two 1Kw CMH lights that need 240V primary voltage to their ballasts.Use a 2Kva 120-240 step up transformer.Works just fine.

Any photos? I’d be interested to see what 1000w CMH lamps look like.

I’ve always been interested in all kinds of lighting, mainly incandescent and HID, and especially all kinds of sodium lamps (HPS/LPS). I’ll tolerate LED but I’m not a fan of it.
I’m not proud to say that my city has Devolved to LED.

Xytrell

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Are there any US members who use voltages higher than 120v for lighting? « Reply #5 on: November 27, 2020, 11:38:19 AM » Author: Xytrell
I've got easy access to 240V in several points so I opt for 240V for anything 400W and above for the regular reasons: lower current, higher efficiency, and intrinsic balancing of split phase current draw.

The 1500W halide ballast I have is 480V-only, for which I use a 750VA transformer (in boost-mode, not step-up). I've also got an obscure high power fluorescent ballast heavily discounted since it was 277V only that I run with a couple old scrap low voltage transformers in boost mode. That's about the only way to run 135W LPS lamps I've found that doesn't anger the pocketbook.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2020, 07:41:28 PM by Xytrell » Logged
xmaslightguy

View Posts
View Gallery

Somewhere There Is Light(ning)

GoL ATL
Re: Are there any US members who use voltages higher than 120v for lighting? « Reply #6 on: November 27, 2020, 01:10:55 PM » Author: xmaslightguy
I have a 5' switch-start fluorescent fixture with UK ballasts, and a UK 8' ballast attached to a board (currently running a 7' HO lamp).
Use a  step-up transformer to power them.

ThunderStorms/Lightning/Tornados are meant to be hunted down & watched...not hidden from in the basement!

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: Are there any US members who use voltages higher than 120v for lighting? « Reply #7 on: November 27, 2020, 01:24:20 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
Are there US members who also use 480v as well?

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Are there any US members who use voltages higher than 120v for lighting? « Reply #8 on: November 27, 2020, 04:15:55 PM » Author: RyanF40T12
Many of my church buildings I help maintain use 208 and 240 volt for the parking lot lights, but most are still 120. 

The more you hate the LED movement, the stronger it becomes.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies