Author Topic: Voltage variating between 220, 230 and 240 heree.  (Read 4949 times)
Binarix128

View Posts
View Gallery
220V AC 50Hz, NTSC

GoL UCOUT2noI2R__jgPSJUjGRtA
Voltage variating between 220, 230 and 240 heree. « on: July 16, 2020, 09:57:09 PM » Author: Binarix128
I just noticed that the voltage switches between 220, 230 and 240 in some hours and days, but when the voltage is in one of these three the voltage barely variates 2 or 4 volts. Is that normal?
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Voltage variating between 220, 230 and 240 heree. « Reply #1 on: July 17, 2020, 12:25:09 AM » Author: Medved
There could be some large, but otherwise fixed loads causing varying voltage drops in the area, which are switched on and off over the day (water distribution pumps,...).

Other cause could be some substations compensate varying downstream voltage drop by switching their output voltage in steps (5%, so 10V on a 230V level would be a reasonable step), so the far end does not droop that much. Then if you are connected close (from volrage drop perspective) to that substation, you see these distinct steps. These corrections are usually not done on the last 22/0.4kV transformer, but rather on thhe higher xxx/22kV substation. And the branch going to your home has not that much changing load or has very low drop in general...

No more selfballasted c***

Binarix128

View Posts
View Gallery
220V AC 50Hz, NTSC

Re: Voltage variating between 220, 230 and 240 heree. « Reply #2 on: July 17, 2020, 12:36:04 AM » Author: Binarix128
Here the oficial voltage is 220V so a 5% variation it's ok, but the variations in my zone are of almost 10% more voltage. I've not seen 210 or 200V here. In the countryside huge variations are normal, but in the middle of the city where I live should not.
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Voltage variating between 220, 230 and 240 heree. « Reply #3 on: July 17, 2020, 01:12:19 AM » Author: dor123
In my hostel, the voltage often varying between 205-225V, where it should be 230V. Also, power dips are common.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Binarix128

View Posts
View Gallery
220V AC 50Hz, NTSC

Re: Voltage variating between 220, 230 and 240 heree. « Reply #4 on: July 17, 2020, 01:19:53 AM » Author: Binarix128
Maybe the electricity companies variates the voltages by seasons. Here is winter and the voltage is high, maybe in spring the voltage will go below 220V.

Brounouts are not common here, I've only experienced one in my life.
Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Voltage variating between 220, 230 and 240 heree. « Reply #5 on: July 17, 2020, 02:30:08 AM » Author: Ash
Some substations have changing taps to compensate for voltage drop under varying load conditions. It is possible that a substation is changing taps to make up for some load on a monitored line with significant drop, while you get the voltage from a parallel branch that is also transferred but is not loaded much, so you get voltages close to that of the transformer taps themselves
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Voltage variating between 220, 230 and 240 heree. « Reply #6 on: July 17, 2020, 03:07:23 AM » Author: Medved
Here the oficial voltage is 220V so a 5% variation it's ok, but the variations in my zone are of almost 10% more voltage. I've not seen 210 or 200V here. In the countryside huge variations are normal, but in the middle of the city where I live should not.

The 5% usually applies for longer term average (hours or longer; to maintain performance of devices like heaters or so). The short time variation could be way higher, devices are supposed to tolerate >15% short term dips/overshoots (so with 230V it is 200..260V range).
Here the nominal voltage was 220V +/-10% long term, then the tolerance tightened to -5/+10% (during the 80's) but then (around 1990) chaged to 230V +5/-10% (so in reality no real change at all, just the sticker numbers were "aligned"), then the tolerance was widened to +/-10% again (to accommodate more load on existing infrastructure; as the old "220V" equipment was expected to be already retired)

No more selfballasted c***

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Voltage variating between 220, 230 and 240 heree. « Reply #7 on: July 17, 2020, 09:34:30 AM » Author: Rommie
We're fortunate here in that our supply is quite stable. We are literally across the street from the nearest substation so we do get a slightly higher than normal voltage (245V) but it does vary from 241 to 247V according to  the monitoring function in our UPS.

Can't really explain why your supply varies so much, though  :wndr:

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Binarix128

View Posts
View Gallery
220V AC 50Hz, NTSC

Re: Voltage variating between 220, 230 and 240 heree. « Reply #8 on: July 17, 2020, 11:22:49 AM » Author: Binarix128
There's not much high loads like water pumps or so here. There is a paper printer and a furniture factory near to me, but the printer runs on a separated transformer and the factory runs in the houses transformer, both runs in the same 3-phases high voltage lines. I think that few 1 or 5KW motors or appliaces can load the voltage so much.
HPS_250

View Posts
View Gallery

Long live the HPS and SOX!

UCAjfrNb4v77ybEBBYqxZxiw
Re: Voltage variating between 220, 230 and 240 heree. « Reply #9 on: July 17, 2020, 02:25:55 PM » Author: HPS_250
That’s interesting that your voltage is varying a lot. Here in the US I get a pretty constant voltage all the time, usually around 115-121V. When there’s a high load on the system it might drop to around 113-114v.

I’ve always been interested in all kinds of lighting, mainly incandescent and HID, and especially all kinds of sodium lamps (HPS/LPS). I’ll tolerate LED but I’m not a fan of it.
I’m not proud to say that my city has Devolved to LED.

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Voltage variating between 220, 230 and 240 heree. « Reply #10 on: July 17, 2020, 04:03:00 PM » Author: Ash
Voltage over here is near 230, add or take few V most of the time

Few years back there was a large water pump in a pumping plant not far from here, which every time it started, would cause a noticable dip in voltage and many HID lamps in the area going out. This have not happened in years since so i assume it is now started using a softstarter (or maybe Y/Delta starter if it was getting hard started directly to Delta back then). The pump was on its own transformer from the 22kV lines, but the 22kV line itself is quite remote from the substation
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Voltage variating between 220, 230 and 240 heree. « Reply #11 on: July 18, 2020, 01:19:35 AM » Author: dor123
Yesterday, at 19:10, suddenly the lights at my room dimmed out, especially the Osram/Ledvance LED filament lamp on  my computer table lamp. I thought a brownout began, so I opened the UPS shutting down software only to see that the voltage is 203V. I entered the data log to document the event, and seen that at the moment the lights dimmed, the voltage dropped down from from 209.3V to 201.4V: https://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-182429

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

LINKS

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Voltage variating between 220, 230 and 240 heree. « Reply #12 on: July 18, 2020, 05:44:10 AM » Author: LINKS
I am at the end of a long right of way way out in the bush, I am recording under 200 volts some nights, I don’t think I have ever seen 240 volts on the tester I have been asking for a data log to be installed for over 3 years, it’s realy annoying, I understand it should be within 6% of 240 V, the Ashram up the track is pulling over 60 amps the linesman told me when the little transformer failed.
marcopete87

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Voltage variating between 220, 230 and 240 heree. « Reply #13 on: July 22, 2020, 04:24:54 AM » Author: marcopete87
Voltage variation during day are common, this depends on load and on transformer selected tap (where i work, i see this every day on our 220kV like).

As told by Medved, tap changing is made in HV-MV substations, but voltage variation depends on transformer tap numbers.
Substation transformers doesn't have only 2-3 tap, but can have many combination, so 5% is quite high as voltage variance (as i can see, where i work we have 1% steps on taps).
However, all depends also on designing choices and maintenance.

Edit: have you checked neutral - earth voltage? It could also be an issue with neutral connection.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 05:24:49 AM by marcopete87 » Logged
dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Voltage variating between 220, 230 and 240 heree. « Reply #14 on: July 22, 2020, 04:54:19 AM » Author: dor123
I am at the end of a long right of way way out in the bush, I am recording under 200 volts some nights, I don’t think I have ever seen 240 volts on the tester I have been asking for a data log to be installed for over 3 years, it’s realy annoying, I understand it should be within 6% of 240 V, the Ashram up the track is pulling over 60 amps the linesman told me when the little transformer failed.
Under 200V is enough to stop compressor motors and stuck them in starting mode and to dim incandescent, LED filament lamps and small G9 LED lamps. See what happened in my hostel during the last brownout: https://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-178182

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies