Author Topic: Why do some photos appear sideways?  (Read 871 times)
CreeRSW207

View Posts
View Gallery

KEEP THESE ALIVE!

Why do some photos appear sideways? « on: August 06, 2020, 06:02:58 AM » Author: CreeRSW207
Some of my most recent photos have turned sideways. I have tried rotating them, some work and some donít. Does it have to do with the way my device displays the photos?Sometimes my iPad displays it sideways when my phone doesnít.

Long live Mercury Vapor and Incandescent street lighting!

rjluna2

View Posts
View Gallery

Robert

GoL
Re: Why do some photos appear sideways? « Reply #1 on: August 06, 2020, 06:27:53 AM » Author: rjluna2
Once you download your picture to your computer.  You can use your favorite photo editor to rotate before uploading to this site.

Pretty, please no more Chinese failure.

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Why do some photos appear sideways? « Reply #2 on: August 06, 2020, 12:02:23 PM » Author: joseph_125
Some of my most recent photos have turned sideways. I have tried rotating them, some work and some donít. Does it have to do with the way my device displays the photos?Sometimes my iPad displays it sideways when my phone doesnít.

I find different browsers (Firefox, Chrome, Edge) and devices (iOS/Android) will tend to either read or ignore the EXIF orientation tag on the images so photos that appear correct on one device will appear sideways on another.

I think some ways to prevent this are to either upload on a computer and use a photo editor to correctly orient the photo or to use the Crop and Rotate feature on the site which is kinda tedious to use.
Patrick
Webmaster

View Posts
View Gallery

LightingGallery
Re: Why do some photos appear sideways? « Reply #3 on: August 06, 2020, 07:23:49 PM » Author: Patrick
Is the prompt to rotate or not in the gallery working?  If you e-mail administrator at this domain with the original file I can take a look.  It should offer to rotate the image upon upload so you do not need to use crop & rotate after the fact.

Patrick C., Administrator
Lighting-Gallery.net

sox35

View Posts
View Gallery

Mainly the electrical side of things

Re: Why do some photos appear sideways? « Reply #4 on: August 07, 2020, 06:13:33 AM » Author: sox35
It works for me, but I don't use it often, mine usually seem to upload the right way round Wonder

Ria in Aberdeen
It'll be all right in the end, and if it isn't all right, it isn't the end Love

CreeRSW207

View Posts
View Gallery

KEEP THESE ALIVE!

Re: Why do some photos appear sideways? « Reply #5 on: August 10, 2020, 07:26:39 PM » Author: CreeRSW207
Is the prompt to rotate or not in the gallery working?  If you e-mail administrator at this domain with the original file I can take a look.  It should offer to rotate the image upon upload so you do not need to use crop & rotate after the fact.
Prompt...I think. Iím also wondering if it has to do with the way my device displays the image.

Long live Mercury Vapor and Incandescent street lighting!

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why do some photos appear sideways? « Reply #6 on: August 11, 2020, 08:59:37 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
I've had some member's photos occasionally rotate when you enlarge them . Wonder

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

sox35

View Posts
View Gallery

Mainly the electrical side of things

Re: Why do some photos appear sideways? « Reply #7 on: August 12, 2020, 08:07:20 AM » Author: sox35
Interesting, never seen that  Wonder

Ria in Aberdeen
It'll be all right in the end, and if it isn't all right, it isn't the end Love

Patrick
Webmaster

View Posts
View Gallery

LightingGallery
Re: Why do some photos appear sideways? « Reply #8 on: August 21, 2020, 03:58:34 PM » Author: Patrick
I have made a correction for the issue, which appeared to primarily affect Apple devices.  It had to do with the presence of a second Orientation flag, apparently for the thumbnail, within the EXIF metadata.  I've made some adjustments to the arguments we're passing to the image converter, and this should no longer be a problem.  I've fixed some of the previously-upload photos as well, and plan to fix the remainder once I'm confident the fix has no unintended effects.

Patrick C., Administrator
Lighting-Gallery.net

Print 
© 2005-2020 Lighting-Gallery.net | Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines