Author Topic: Would you run your 18w SOX in the UK with a WH3?  (Read 1898 times)
lights*plus

View Posts
View Gallery

George Liv Photo

GoL george.liv.37 UC_OfF2pa6aOcXLAut16jw9g
Would you run your 18w SOX in the UK with a WH3? « on: August 15, 2020, 03:01:59 AM » Author: lights*plus
https://www.ebay.com/itm/192890456840

Will this RUN (more or less) correctly 18w SOX/SOX-E lamps with UK mains, and would you do it?

(Admin edit - Listing ended, moved to general discussion)
« Last Edit: October 10, 2020, 02:07:17 PM by Lightingguy1994 » Logged
RadxD461

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Would you run your 18w SOX in the UK with a WH3? « Reply #1 on: August 15, 2020, 07:21:37 PM » Author: RadxD461
https://www.ebay.com/itm/192890456840

Will this RUN (more or less) correctly 18w SOX/SOX-E lamps with UK mains, and would you do it?
no, you need a older version.https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fulham-Workhorse-2-Versatile-Solid-State-Electronic-Ballast-WH2-120-C-13065/281312639640?epid=1904059164&hash=item417f8a3a98:g:LdkAAOSwR0JUNw2C
lights*plus

View Posts
View Gallery

George Liv Photo

Re: Would you run your 18w SOX in the UK with a WH3? « Reply #2 on: August 15, 2020, 11:18:35 PM » Author: lights*plus
Older? WH2?? Can you explain?
LightsDelight

View Posts
View Gallery

Fred Dirst is watching you

UCp-ouYxSgmqTWUY4RGWyAFg rollaman82
Re: Would you run your 18w SOX in the UK with a WH3? « Reply #3 on: August 16, 2020, 09:31:20 AM » Author: LightsDelight
If you want to run a 18W SOX correctly you can use a 20W fluorescent choke with a stater across the lamp (assuming you have 240V). You must use a switch start choke. The specs are pretty much identical:
   [th]Lamp[/th]
   [th]Volts[/th]
   [th]Amps[/th]
20W Fluorescent590,33
18W SOX570,36
Some professional ballasts actually specified that you need to use a fluorescent starter to make it work.

Hope this helps! :lps:

Keep discharge lighting alive

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Would you run your 18w SOX in the UK with a WH3? « Reply #4 on: August 16, 2020, 01:21:28 PM » Author: Rommie
An 18W SOX lamp actually needs to run at 55V 0.35A. Most of the fluorescent ballasts I've seen are 0.37A and nearer to 70V, which will overdrive the lamp, and the ballast will get very hot.

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

funkybulb

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Would you run your 18w SOX in the UK with a WH3? « Reply #5 on: August 16, 2020, 02:14:10 PM » Author: funkybulb
If that the case  a crappy American preheat ballast should work fine with the starter.  With the spec you gave
me here.   

No LED gadgets, spins too slowly.  Gotta  love preheat and MV. let the lights keep my meter spinning.

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Would you run your 18w SOX in the UK with a WH3? « Reply #6 on: August 16, 2020, 02:22:12 PM » Author: Rommie
On 120V 60Hz possibly, but the original question was would it work on 240V in the UK, and I haven't found anything close enough except the rather rare genuine 18W SOX ballasts, everything else I've tried overruns the lamp and the ballast gets hot enough to boil a kettle  :poof:

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

LightsDelight

View Posts
View Gallery

Fred Dirst is watching you

UCp-ouYxSgmqTWUY4RGWyAFg rollaman82
Re: Would you run your 18w SOX in the UK with a WH3? « Reply #7 on: August 16, 2020, 07:43:24 PM » Author: LightsDelight
In my own experience I have used 20W chokes for 18W SOX and they work perfectly. When I did a test the values were a bit off on the account that I was using a 240V choke when the mains voltage is 250V. The choke did get a bit warm but nothing different from if it was running a fluro.

Keep discharge lighting alive

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: Would you run your 18w SOX in the UK with a WH3? « Reply #8 on: October 04, 2020, 05:25:59 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
If that the case  a crappy American preheat ballast should work fine with the starter.  With the spec you gave
me here.   

For some reason when trying a 18w SOX lamp on a US 20w preheat choke, I was not able to get it running while using a starter. I also tried a SOX ignitor and it did not work either.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

lights*plus

View Posts
View Gallery

George Liv Photo

Re: Would you run your 18w SOX in the UK with a WH3? « Reply #9 on: October 10, 2020, 03:36:53 PM » Author: lights*plus
Many LG members are from the UK. For North American alternate LPS/SOX ballasting you can browse here, and particularly here.
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Would you run your 18w SOX in the UK with a WH3? « Reply #10 on: October 11, 2020, 04:21:47 AM » Author: Medved
On 230V: The F18T8 ballast choke should be OK (with the starter or a SOX ignitor; the F18T8 is 55V 0.37A as well, after all).

On 120V: The OCV of just a series choke (e.g. an F20T12) could be insufficient to provide enough current in the initial cold electrode glow mode to warm the electrodes up and so transition to the final arc mode. Maybe there are some ignitors able to boost the voltage, but definitely just a stsrter wont be enough.
The HF electronic ballasts are good enough, they do provide really substantial power even at the elevated load voltage to warm the electrodes up. Just need to deliver the correct power at full warmup (there the fluorescents are way more tolerant and many ballasts exploit that; SOX need pretty accurate power feed).

No more selfballasted c***

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies