Author Topic: Do convenience outlets on light fixtures meet NEC code?  (Read 4387 times)
Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Do convenience outlets on light fixtures meet NEC code? « on: August 22, 2020, 11:40:11 AM » Author: Cole D.
I've noticed some of the older-style bathroom light fixtures sold at Home Depot and Lowes still have grounded convenience outlets on them. Do these convenience outlet meet code, if they are wired on a GFCI protected circuit, or would the electrician bypass the outlet?

Just wondering, since I never see these fixtures used in new construction. Probably because people think they are outdated looking. And most any bathrooms these days have wall outlets anyway, in fact it maybe code that they have to have a wall outlet. So with these fixtures, I think they mainly had an outlet on them because some old bathrooms didn't have wall outlets.

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Do convenience outlets on light fixtures meet NEC code? « Reply #1 on: August 22, 2020, 11:49:20 AM » Author: Rommie
Power outlets in bathrooms scare the  :poof: out of me. They're not allowed here, anyway. Well they are, but they have to be well away from the reach of anyone in the bath or shower. Having said that, I've never seen a bathroom in the UK with a power outlet, except for the shaver/toothbrush ones which have a built in isolating transformer.

Why would you want one in there anyway..?

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Do convenience outlets on light fixtures meet NEC code? « Reply #2 on: August 22, 2020, 01:05:43 PM » Author: Medved
If the fixture is connected on a properly protected circuit (GFCI,...), it is perfectly OK, for the Code thing it is just another socket.

And if we are talking about table lamps with sockets on them, these are then an extension cord, so supposed to "inherit" all the protection the socket these are plugged.

No more selfballasted c***

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Do convenience outlets on light fixtures meet NEC code? « Reply #3 on: August 22, 2020, 01:51:05 PM » Author: Rommie
If the fixture is connected on a properly protected circuit (GFCI,...), it is perfectly OK, for the Code thing it is just another socket.
Not in the UK.

https://www.electriciansforums.net/threads/sockets-in-bathrooms.187377/

I see no reason for a standard socket outlet in the bathroom. What do you need to plug in in there..? Toothbrushes and shavers can be plugged into the special isolated outlets designed for the purpose.

What else..? Hairdryers have often been quoted as an example. I plug mine in to a socket in the hallway, where there happens to be a large mirror that isn't going to get misted up like the bathroom one. What's wrong with the bedroom..?

Phone chargers, laptops, anything else..? No need, plug them in elsewhere. Do you really need to plug your phone in to charge while you're in the bath..? How long are you in there for anyway..? I've been known to soak for an hour or more, but I can do without my phone while I'm in there. Old fashioned printed books might get a bit soggy if I drop them, but at least they won't electrocute me.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2020, 02:08:10 PM by sox35 » Logged

Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

Wireman
Re: Do convenience outlets on light fixtures meet NEC code? « Reply #4 on: August 22, 2020, 02:02:09 PM » Author: Wireman
These outlets do not meet code.
The requirement in bathrooms is 1 duplex outlet that is located next to the sink.
It must be on a dedicated 20 amp circuit and must have GFCI protection.
However more than 1 bathroom may be on this dedicated circuit.
Bathroom lights must be kept separate from the outlet circuit.
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Do convenience outlets on light fixtures meet NEC code? « Reply #5 on: August 22, 2020, 02:04:56 PM » Author: Rommie
Still scares the :poof: out of me. Yes, sometimes our regulations may seem a bit strict, but they're also some of the safest in the world. As someone on the forum I linked to said, "Should we lower our standards on some things to match what other countries do, or should they raise their standards to match what we do..?"

Wireman
Re: Do convenience outlets on light fixtures meet NEC code? « Reply #6 on: August 22, 2020, 02:20:10 PM » Author: Wireman
I think the whole point of having an outlet in the bathroom is simply to keep people from doing something crazy like bringing an extension cord into the bathroom for say their hairdryer, which would be a whole lot worse!
The GFCI gives as much protection from shock as possible.
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Do convenience outlets on light fixtures meet NEC code? « Reply #7 on: August 22, 2020, 02:31:16 PM » Author: Rommie
Well as far as that goes, what people do with extension cords is their own business, someone will always want to get a Darwin award :lol: ::)

Bulbman256

View Posts
View Gallery

Mad Max

Bulbman256
Re: Do convenience outlets on light fixtures meet NEC code? « Reply #8 on: August 22, 2020, 02:32:48 PM » Author: Bulbman256
Still scares the :poof: out of me. Yes, sometimes our regulations may seem a bit strict, but they're also some of the safest in the world. As someone on the forum I linked to said, "Should we lower our standards on some things to match what other countries do, or should they raise their standards to match what we do..?"

I get where your at, I think ring mains are a bit bonkers and dated but to you it would seem normal. What we learned about and grew up with and was everywhere the place you have lived will seem normal. It will then come as a surprise to hear that another place does something a different way that would be unsafe in your eye but normal to the person living there. Us raising our standards to match your would take a tremendous amount of effort and why change whats been normal and has worked for us since its inception. Your place lowering your standards would be an outrage among the community as it would seem "unsafe" to people who have grown up with a higher standard all their lives. So everyone viewpoint is on a subject is different due to the influence of the environment around them. I do think that some of our standards are unsafe and could change and with time witch they will slowly do so. I also think some stricter standards could be done without and that may change with time to.

Collecting light bulbs since 2012, a madman since birth.

Wireman
Re: Do convenience outlets on light fixtures meet NEC code? « Reply #9 on: August 22, 2020, 02:35:05 PM » Author: Wireman
Well as far as that goes, what people do with extension cords is their own business, someone will always want to get a Darwin award :lol: ::)
All the codes in the world can't fix stupid.
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Do convenience outlets on light fixtures meet NEC code? « Reply #10 on: August 22, 2020, 02:35:23 PM » Author: Rommie
I get where your at, I think ring mains are a bit bonkers and dated but to you it would seem normal
Ring circuits are going out of favour now. They're still permitted, but most electricians now install radials with 20A breakers. We'd like to get our place rewired, but it would cost too much right now  :-\

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Do convenience outlets on light fixtures meet NEC code? « Reply #11 on: August 22, 2020, 03:42:06 PM » Author: Ash
Code may require a 20A receptacle in the bathroom - ok. I dont see how having one more receptacle there (assuming safely installed) breaks code
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Do convenience outlets on light fixtures meet NEC code? « Reply #12 on: August 22, 2020, 04:10:21 PM » Author: Rommie
Code may require a 20A receptacle in the bathroom - ok. I dont see how having one more receptacle there (assuming safely installed) breaks code
"Code" as you call it says no outlets in UK bathrooms within 3m of the bath. End of as far as we're concerned. Electricity and water don't mix.

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Do convenience outlets on light fixtures meet NEC code? « Reply #13 on: August 22, 2020, 04:16:25 PM » Author: Ash
Does code in UK also ban installing more than one outlet, at or beyond the 3m distance ?
Wireman
Re: Do convenience outlets on light fixtures meet NEC code? « Reply #14 on: August 22, 2020, 04:29:37 PM » Author: Wireman
As long as the outlet in the light is connected to the GFCI next to the sink it would be to code. It's just that electricians don't run another cable to the light since they've already met the code with the sink outlet.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies