Author Topic: Testing Bulbs Without Power  (Read 2666 times)
SteveR

View Posts
View Gallery

Testing Bulbs Without Power « on: August 23, 2020, 06:39:13 AM » Author: SteveR
Hi. I have a mid 20th c Osram bulb of a squirrel cage filament design. I would like to know if its still in working order but don't have a bayonet fitting to test it. It's a 60w, 240v bulb. I put a multimeter across the base and got a reading of 75ohms resistance. The  filaments all look to be intact. And the glass is still clear. Does this mean that it may still be viable? Is that resistance reading about right for this bulb? (I only have a really basic level of electrical knowledge).
Thanks,
Steve.
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Testing Bulbs Without Power « Reply #1 on: August 23, 2020, 08:54:04 AM » Author: Rommie
I just tried a meter across a 60W lamp and got 73 ohms so I'd say that's ok. You should be able to get a bayonet lampholder on eBay UK, although not sure what they'd charge for shipping. I know shipping from the US to the UK is astronomical at the moment, the last thing I bought (a Cisco IP PBX) cost me more in shipping and customs charges than I paid for the actual item  :poof: >:(

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

Bulbman256

View Posts
View Gallery

Mad Max

Bulbman256
Re: Testing Bulbs Without Power « Reply #2 on: August 23, 2020, 10:53:48 AM » Author: Bulbman256
I just tried a meter across a 60W lamp and got 73 ohms so I'd say that's ok. You should be able to get a bayonet lampholder on eBay UK, although not sure what they'd charge for shipping. I know shipping from the US to the UK is astronomical at the moment, the last thing I bought (a Cisco IP PBX) cost me more in shipping and customs charges than I paid for the actual item  :poof: >:(

Shipping is wayyy inflated to the uk right now, Its probablly due to whole virus but it shouldint cost $24 to ship a panckage under 2 piunds that isnt even a foot long in any direction. :curse: ???

Collecting light bulbs since 2012, a madman since birth.

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Testing Bulbs Without Power « Reply #3 on: August 23, 2020, 11:00:17 AM » Author: Rommie
Shipping is wayyy inflated to the uk right now, Its probablly due to whole virus but it shouldint cost $24 to ship a panckage under 2 piunds that isnt even a foot long in any direction. :curse: ???
Tell me about it  >:( :curse: :poof:

Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

SteveR

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Testing Bulbs Without Power « Reply #4 on: August 23, 2020, 12:10:55 PM » Author: SteveR
Thanks guys, just knowing that it may still be viable is good news. I probably won't light it up as I don't need to. I can put a modern 60w bulb into the lantern that the older bulb came in and get it working. Am I right in thinking these bulbs have approx. 1000 hours service life? If so, if it's done 999, I don't want to be the guy who blows it!
Thanks,
Steve.
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Testing Bulbs Without Power « Reply #5 on: August 23, 2020, 12:27:02 PM » Author: Rommie
Don't worry, it's not going to blow the instant it hits 1000 hours :lol:

Put a picture of it up on the gallery, always interesting to see what other people have.

By the way, welcome to the madhouse that is LG from the frozen North East of Scotland  :bulbman:

Bulbman256

View Posts
View Gallery

Mad Max

Bulbman256
Re: Testing Bulbs Without Power « Reply #6 on: August 23, 2020, 12:33:13 PM » Author: Bulbman256
Tell me about it  >:( :curse: :poof:

I think why it is so pricey is that a lot of worldwide shipping line are either shut down or being used for essential stuff only and supply dropped with the same demand so the price radically increased to send even a small package across the pond. :-\

Collecting light bulbs since 2012, a madman since birth.

SteveR

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Testing Bulbs Without Power « Reply #7 on: August 23, 2020, 12:56:19 PM » Author: SteveR
Thanks Sox....Scotland cold, Lancashire very wet! I guess I'm just a bit nervous about putting current through something that hasn't been used for 50 plus years.... I posted a picture of the bulb on a recent post (Osram Dating) a couple of days ago.
Thanks,
Steve.
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Testing Bulbs Without Power « Reply #8 on: August 23, 2020, 01:03:12 PM » Author: Rommie
It's not all that bad at the moment, if anything it's a touch on the humid side, which is one of the things I hate; I  don't mind heat but humidity is a killer  :-\

What I do with old lamps is run them up very slowly through a Variac, just so I can see if the filament is intact and the outer bulb has not let air in.

Just seen your post, would still suggest you post a picture on the gallery though, that's where people expect to see them and it'll most likely get more views and comments.

Nice lamp, by the way  :bulbman:

funkybulb

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Testing Bulbs Without Power « Reply #9 on: September 02, 2020, 08:48:20 PM » Author: funkybulb
Nice to see that u have nice incandescent lamps
  I think most of those lamps are under a Vacumme
 Your not a quite out of the woods yet. 

First step what u done is correct using a meter and
  See if u got a reading that it not open.   

Now second step this where it gets important
   Is to invest in a Variac that way u can ramp up
 The voltage slowly till the fillament to start to glow red
  Justjust a bit more.  Now this it time u let the lamp warm up a while and if there any air inside the lamp u will know u have a problem when have a hot spot and glass heats unevenly.  If iyou dont have that problem.  Then u can enjoy it and bring the voltage slowly up whike u watching for antthing abnormal.   My best advice is not run them full power  about 1/2 to 3/4 voltage to the lamp. 

No LED gadgets, spins too slowly.  Gotta  love preheat and MV. let the lights keep my meter spinning.

SteveR

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Testing Bulbs Without Power « Reply #10 on: September 04, 2020, 08:19:46 AM » Author: SteveR
Great advice thanks. It seems that yourself and Sox agree about using the Variac and it makes sense. I'll have to see what I can do....
Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Testing Bulbs Without Power « Reply #11 on: September 04, 2020, 09:37:12 AM » Author: Rommie
If you want to avoid buying from China (especially when they fit those awful and totally non-compliant multi-plug sockets on them) then they can be a bit on the pricey side, but they are well worth the investment.

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Testing Bulbs Without Power « Reply #12 on: September 04, 2020, 05:34:09 PM » Author: joseph_125
If you were in a 120v area I would go with a Powerstat/Superior Electric or Staco branded one. They're a bit expensive over the imported models but as far as I know both brands still make their variacs in the US.

Personally I would find a vintage unit. I have a vintage 2200VA Powerstat unit and it works great to run up my 1000w incandescent lamp. The top vintage brands would be the aforementioned two as well as General Radio/Variac.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies