Author Topic: Why do TV sets?  (Read 1021 times)
Cole D.

View Posts
View Gallery

123 V 60 CPS

Dk944Mr-jX4jbnoUUj7xAw
Why do TV sets? « on: September 19, 2020, 10:01:00 AM » Author: Cole D.
I used to notice in TV shows and movies that on the sets they often use Decora style rocker light switches with polished brass cover plates. Usually two gang. I wonder why this is?

Collect vintage incandescent and fluorescent fixtures. Also like HID lighting and streetlights.

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why do TV sets? « Reply #1 on: September 19, 2020, 03:45:16 PM » Author: Ash
I have a few guesses

The property on which movies are filmed. Think of it : The set may require filming of a location which contains a house available for the filmmakers

If the action takes place in one house, they can find something suitable for rent or sale to film in. If it involves neighboring houses, then all of them must be available. This is a hard thing to achieve with existing houses in which people live.... I would guess that this pushes the filmmakers to look more for new construction (where few houses are vacant at the same time)

Now, film studio crews contain many artists such as directors, scenery designers, etc. None of them will put up with filming in some default interior that's just put together by some contractor. They will get involved in the design. And they will go out of their way to do what they consider good design - Which probably is, but may not really represent what the avarage homeowner has (which is more inline with what contractors do install, or just what's available in the shop for most DIY)

The location. I would guess that with major film industries being based in California, more films will be filmed there as well. Perhaps what is common there in all houses (decorative switches ?) gets more into film sets than what is common in your state

Perhaps even the house price range (bigger houses, with more lighting that needs more switches, more expensive interior, ...) is not the same as your house or houses you mostly visit in

Years the films you watch were filmed. If you tend to watch films that were filmed in specific years, the houses would have common interior for that time - especially considering the "new construction" consideration, and even if not, they might be touched up by the film studio artists
Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: Why do TV sets? « Reply #2 on: September 19, 2020, 05:06:59 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
My guess is that they've used those switches as they are easily recognised for what they are.

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Rommie
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Why do TV sets? « Reply #3 on: September 19, 2020, 05:10:28 PM » Author: Rommie
If it's a purpose built set, then the construction crew probably use whatever they have in stock. Maybe the studios have a contract with a particular supplier, who knows..?

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
Administrator, UK & European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch :love:

"What greater gift than the love of a cat..?" - Charles Dickens
*** No smiley-only replies, please ***

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Why do TV sets? « Reply #4 on: September 20, 2020, 01:04:45 AM » Author: joseph_125
Over here it seems to be common for houses and apartments/flats built within the last 15 years to use white Decora devices over the traditional ivory/almond toggle swtiches and duplex outlets.

In terms of availability, both series of devices are still easily found/bought in stores but trends seem to dictate that the Decora devices be used in new construction.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies