Author Topic: Anyone have experience with Damar branded lamps?  (Read 2024 times)
Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Anyone have experience with Damar branded lamps? « on: September 19, 2020, 01:40:10 PM » Author: Lightingguy1994
I'm interested in buying some HPS lamps online, but they are made by Damar and are called Damarlux, they are made in china like the Philips ones, Is the brand yay or nay?

Administrator #5

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Anyone have experience with Damar branded lamps? « Reply #1 on: September 20, 2020, 01:10:13 AM » Author: joseph_125
No experience with the brand or their build quality but I would personally track down some older made in Mexico Sylvania HPS lamps that were still in the ET-23.5 shape.

There's a lot of 9 for a okish price and they seem to be a fair number of singles and smaller lots too.
Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Anyone have experience with Damar branded lamps? « Reply #2 on: September 29, 2020, 03:46:38 PM » Author: Lightingguy1994
Thanks, the Damar lamps were 35w HPS, but I ended up buying a case of the old Sylvania GTE type that have that orange spotted paper package around each lamp. Will be looking for some 150w lamps later on

Administrator #5

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Anyone have experience with Damar branded lamps? « Reply #3 on: September 29, 2020, 09:58:08 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
If you're interested , I have 10 med. bass HPS lamps in 35 , 70 and 150w from GE , Sylvania , Venture and Philips that I have no use for $1 ea. + shipping gets 'em all !

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Anyone have experience with Damar branded lamps? « Reply #4 on: September 29, 2020, 11:03:32 PM » Author: Lightingguy1994
If you're interested , I have 10 med. bass HPS lamps in 35 , 70 and 150w from GE , Sylvania , Venture and Philips that I have no use for $1 ea. + shipping gets 'em all !

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. Just figuring out what I'll need to get next in November.

Administrator #5

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Anyone have experience with Damar branded lamps? « Reply #5 on: September 29, 2020, 11:27:14 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
No problem ! Right now they're just sitting here collecting dust .

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

arcblue

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Anyone have experience with Damar branded lamps? « Reply #6 on: October 01, 2020, 01:27:30 AM » Author: arcblue
Damar - not great HPS lamps. I had one in a dusk to dawn fixture and it didn’t last long at all. Maybe a year or two then cycled a few days then went completely out.

Over almost three decades I have used GE, Philips, Sylvania, Tungsram and various off-brands made in China for HID fixtures, most of them burning dusk to dawn though not all. The off-brands were a waste of money...period. I bought a bunch of Luma lamps from e-conolight as they were cheap and they looked decent. They burned out fast and I went thru them in no time.  Use up any stock you have, but then buy only NOS Philips, Sylvania, GE and Pre-Philips Westinghouse lamps. Eye and Tungsram (those black and white no name boxes) seem to be alright too.

Some off brands are fun for the collection, like the Feit diffused mercury lamps. But they suck for dependable long term lighting.

I have had some lamps by the big three last over a decade dusk to dawn. There are some duds here and there but most are good.

I'm lampin...

BT25

View Posts
View Gallery

Vintage HID Collector

Re: Anyone have experience with Damar branded lamps? « Reply #7 on: October 04, 2020, 07:07:36 PM » Author: BT25
I'm interested in buying some HPS lamps online, but they are made by Damar and are called Damarlux, they are made in china like the Philips ones, Is the brand yay or nay?
Steer clear...they're junk.

First known case of Westinghouse Lifeguard Disease! :lol:
If you can say yes to any of the following, you may have it too: :poof:
Can't resist buying more even if you already have an example in your collection? :lol:
Bank account/CC statement shows unnecessary spending? ::)

Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Anyone have experience with Damar branded lamps? « Reply #8 on: October 04, 2020, 07:42:10 PM » Author: Lightingguy1994
Thanks, I didn't buy the Damar ones, the sellers price was a bit high for them and I have better lamps that look older stock on the way that costed less for twice the unit count.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2020, 08:21:44 PM by Lightingguy1994 » Logged

Administrator #5

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies