Author Topic: Are modern HPS lamps non cycling by default?  (Read 2329 times)
Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Are modern HPS lamps non cycling by default? « on: September 24, 2020, 08:55:29 PM » Author: Lightingguy1994
Hi, just curious if the recent made (within last 10 years) HPS lamps such as the Philips Ceramalux are designed by default to be non cycling?

How about the Philips Ceramalux Alto?

Administrator #5

RyanF40T12

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Are modern HPS lamps non cycling by default? « Reply #1 on: September 24, 2020, 11:19:15 PM » Author: RyanF40T12
I know that there are some ballasts out there that are anti-cycling, but as for bulbs themselves?  I don't think so.  But I suppose it is possible.. some sort of relay or resister built in to not allow power to the arc tube after 1 failed attempt and then gets reset when power to the ballast goes off via timer or photocell. 

The more you hate the LED movement, the stronger it becomes.

Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Are modern HPS lamps non cycling by default? « Reply #2 on: September 24, 2020, 11:26:00 PM » Author: Lightingguy1994
I'm referring to the lamps that turn MV colour at EOL. I know philips at one point marketed their line of non cyclers as having that feature so that EOL lamps can be easily spotted. Some digging around on here and elsewhere had some mumblings that the recent lamps had this feature built in.

I just want to either find or eventually end up with a mv burning HPS lamp to get that nice mercury colour in HPS only fixtures

Administrator #5

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Are modern HPS lamps non cycling by default? « Reply #3 on: September 24, 2020, 11:36:15 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
I recently came across streetlighting specs for the City of Columbus and in it it stated that "HPS lamps are to be of the non-cycling type "  GE lists non-cycling lamps in their catalog , the ordering code ends with /NC

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Are modern HPS lamps non cycling by default? « Reply #4 on: September 25, 2020, 12:17:39 AM » Author: Medved
I dont think the "default" model to be the noncycling one. The noncycling features comes at a cost of other performance aspects, which are often preffered (efficacy, mercury content, the purchase cost even when the last is very relative).

No more selfballasted c***

Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Are modern HPS lamps non cycling by default? « Reply #5 on: September 25, 2020, 12:20:01 AM » Author: Lightingguy1994
I guess I'll just have to hope that one of my lamps has low sodium in it, I do have a 35w Philips that stays a peach colour so I got some hope. I believe I have a USA brand 50w one also that does

Administrator #5

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Are modern HPS lamps non cycling by default? « Reply #6 on: September 25, 2020, 01:32:08 AM » Author: joseph_125
I'm referring to the lamps that turn MV colour at EOL. I know philips at one point marketed their line of non cyclers as having that feature so that EOL lamps can be easily spotted. Some digging around on here and elsewhere had some mumblings that the recent lamps had this feature built in.

I just want to either find or eventually end up with a mv burning HPS lamp to get that nice mercury colour in HPS only fixtures

It's a pretty rare find, but there was a MV lamp with a special 55v arctube that was intended for use in low cost yardlights with a simple HPS style choke ballast. I believe it was designed to run off something similar to 150w S55 HPS gear. Most of the lamps made were /DX but I've seen a picture of a clear one before too.
Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Are modern HPS lamps non cycling by default? « Reply #7 on: September 25, 2020, 03:07:43 PM » Author: Lightingguy1994
That would be cool for sure

Administrator #5

Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Are modern HPS lamps non cycling by default? « Reply #8 on: October 08, 2020, 12:12:28 PM » Author: Lightingguy1994
Is there a way to tell when a sodium bulb is the unsaturated type?

Administrator #5

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Are modern HPS lamps non cycling by default? « Reply #9 on: October 09, 2020, 12:20:44 AM » Author: Medved
Is there a way to tell when a sodium bulb is the unsaturated type?

Response of the arc voltage on the arc temperature variation.
Saturated vapor lamps increase their voltage when you warm up the arctube more (by increasing the current,...)
Unsaturated vapor lamps maintain the voltage rather constant.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2020, 02:04:23 AM by Medved » Logged

No more selfballasted c***

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: Are modern HPS lamps non cycling by default? « Reply #10 on: October 09, 2020, 01:44:09 AM » Author: dor123
Also: Unsaturated HPS lamp runs up mercury color all the way to full output, similar to MH lamps, without reaching SOX color.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies