Author Topic: Mercury Vapor  (Read 3805 times)
dieselducy

View Posts
View Gallery

Mercury Vapor « on: March 01, 2009, 11:32:49 PM » Author: dieselducy
As most of you know I am new to light collecting and my specialty is preheat fluorescent.  Seeing all the mercury vapor lights here has intrigued me!!  Anyway, I might want to get hold of one at some point. .  If anybody knows where I can find a nice MV fixture. Please let me know. Of what i have seen, I really like the style of the cobra-head light such as the Westinghouse (which is my favorite brand of lightbulb)..  Right now I am unemployed so it might have to wait for a while but I am just curious as to how easy or hard they are to come by.  thanks much for any information.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 11:40:14 PM by dieselducy » Logged

I LOVE preheat fluorescent!  Preheat forever!!

lightman64

View Posts
View Gallery

Zero 88 Lighting Controls Rule!

Re: Mercury Vapor « Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 05:42:05 PM » Author: lightman64
The internet has lots of great websites where you can find an MV fixture. Also, small town hardware stores, like local ones or Ace or True Value, might still carry them. Once you get one, you can wire a plug onto it so it will run inside your house!

http://hdsupplysolutions.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StoreCatalogDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10051&nstate=0&numItems=30

www.lightbulbsdirect.com
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 09:09:25 AM by TudorWhiz » Logged

The future of street lighting is Induction, not nasty HPS lights or cr@ppy LED lights!
Preheat CFL's should make a comeback!

Parrot

View Posts
View Gallery
YouTube: Parrot175

Parrot175 parrot175
Re: Mercury Vapor « Reply #2 on: January 02, 2010, 07:08:17 PM » Author: Parrot
You can try your local electric company, electric supply store or the internet. But move quick!!! Because in 2016 it is gone. But we will try to stop the ban (the best we can) and keep MV!!!
DaveMan

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Mercury Vapor « Reply #3 on: January 04, 2010, 03:01:06 PM » Author: DaveMan
I usually find them on ebay or at thrift stores, salvage stores, flea markets and places that sell used stuff from old buildings if there are such stores in your area. As for the MV ban, I wrote an article and petition. There's a link in the general discussion forum if you like, or I can PM it to ya.

David L.
Administrator, Lighting-Gallery.net

chapman84
Re: Mercury Vapor « Reply #4 on: January 04, 2010, 05:10:47 PM » Author: chapman84
Craigslist.com is also a good place to look for mercury vapor lights since they're cheaper.
Alights

View Posts
View Gallery

USA (120V 60HZ)

Re: Mercury Vapor « Reply #5 on: January 04, 2010, 06:17:06 PM » Author: Alights
Try going to a Meijjers store, mine has 10+ boxes of 2004 NOS 175W designers edge yardlights.  Let me know if you cant find one, as I can pick one up.
Mercury Man

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Mercury Vapor « Reply #6 on: January 04, 2010, 07:19:31 PM » Author: Mercury Man
Andrew, you might want to check out a DIY center, as well.  Many stores still have NOS Mercury Vapor yard lights sitting on their shelves collecting dust.  In fact, the Ace store that I work in still has a Cooper Lighting 175 watt Mercury Vapor Security Light sitting on the shelf.  You might even find one in a dusty box, and be able to persuade the manager to sell it to you at a discount because it's "shopworn."   ;)
RemoteBallastedGull
Re: Mercury Vapor « Reply #7 on: March 13, 2010, 03:01:30 AM » Author: RemoteBallastedGull
Remember I was gonna give you a Westy NEMA whenever we meet...
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies