Author Topic: What Public Agencies AREN'T Installing LEDs yet?  (Read 2401 times)
EpicStreetlights

View Posts
View Gallery

Epic_Fire_Alarms
What Public Agencies AREN'T Installing LEDs yet? « on: September 08, 2020, 11:15:34 PM » Author: EpicStreetlights
Across the United States (and much of the world) LED lighting has taken over. Government agencies and communities are lured to promises of energy savings and low maintenance costs, and LEDs are by and large considered the standard now for new lighting installations and replacements. My question is... what areas still install HPS, induction, or other forms of lighting consistently?
Some state agency examples from my neck of the woods...
MNDOT only very rarely utilizes HPS luminaires in temporary installations or in one-off cases where for whatever reason an LED luminaire wouldn't be acceptable (usually this happens in mass HPS installations, although sometimes LEDs are used regardless... if a pole is knocked down in a mass HPS installation I'd say there's about a 50/50 shot on whether the replacement will be LED or HPS)
WisDOT as far as I know no longer installs anything but LED luminaires.
IDOT until very recently (like "last year" recently) was actively mass-installing new HPS luminaires. They have slowly moved to LEDs over the past few years and now they seem to be the standard. It seems like there may still be some new HPS installations to this day, but they're quickly becoming more and more uncommon.

Other cases...
I believe Florida, Connecticut, and New Jersey all still actively mass-install HPS luminaires. I've seen Streetview images of new HPS fixtures mass-installed in urban areas over the past year. Again, I'm talking state-level here not local communities. 

Hopefully someone on here can shed some light (no pun intended  :lol:) on California, which remains the only state that I've ever seen HPS luminaires REPLACING LED luminaires. Surely there's a reason for that and I'd love to know what it is. 

As for municipality or utility-owned lighting, plenty of places still maintain existing lighting sources (as in, replace a bulb when it burns out or replace a knockdown pole) but install new LED lighting in mass replacements. I can't think of any city in my area that actively still installs non-LED luminaires.

What other examples are there in your area?
joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: What Public Agencies AREN'T Installing LEDs yet? « Reply #1 on: September 08, 2020, 11:50:42 PM » Author: joseph_125
I think Toronto, Ontario for the most part is still maintaining and even installing new HPS and MH luminaires . I live in the outer suburbs of Toronto and over here they converted to LED with the exemption of some signalized intersections which remain HPS and are presumably still maintained.

There were a couple of LED luminaires that failed early and got replaced with HPS and I believe temporary lighting can either be HPS or LED.

The MTO which maintains the highways here, still maintain their existing HPS luminaires but have switched to installing LED luminaires  for new construction and major reconstruction projects since 2016. I think they might have started replacing the existing HPS low mast luminaires with LED luminaires but the existing HPS high mast luminaires are still being maintained for the most part.
Silverliner
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Rare white reflector

GoL
Re: What Public Agencies AREN'T Installing LEDs yet? « Reply #2 on: September 10, 2020, 03:27:23 AM » Author: Silverliner
Southern California is predominantly HID. Half of the cities still haven't done a thing. That pretty much sums it up.

Administrator of Lighting-Gallery.net. Need help? PM me.

Member of L-G since 2005.

Collector of vintage bulbs, street lights and fluorescent fixtures.

Electrician.

Also a fan of cars, travelling, working out, food, hanging out.

Power company: Southern California Edison.

Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: What Public Agencies AREN'T Installing LEDs yet? « Reply #3 on: September 10, 2020, 11:01:48 AM » Author: Lumex120
Southern California is predominantly HID. Half of the cities still haven't done a thing. That pretty much sums it up.
That's pretty surprising, and for a city that's having trouble providing electricity you'd think they would be an early adopter of LED lights.

Unofficial LG Discord

lightinglover8902

View Posts
View Gallery

Power distributor: CenterPoint Energy. 120V 60Hz

GoL UCfoxh9h5FaLg-R04V8WDi3w
Re: What Public Agencies AREN'T Installing LEDs yet? « Reply #4 on: September 19, 2020, 08:37:22 AM » Author: lightinglover8902
TXDOT is no longer installing HPS luminaires, and they're ONLY installing LEDs now for changeouts and new installations as far as I can see. A new part of TX249 Tollway going north has loads of Trastar LED luminaires and Philips Lumec Roadfocus RFMs.

Save the Cooper OVWs!! Don't them down by crap LED fixtures!!!

HPS_250

View Posts
View Gallery

Long live the HPS and SOX!

UCAjfrNb4v77ybEBBYqxZxiw
Re: What Public Agencies AREN'T Installing LEDs yet? « Reply #5 on: September 20, 2020, 04:50:54 PM » Author: HPS_250
I agree with Silverliner, Southern California is predominantly HID, except for freeways and some scattered city owned lights. Everything is mostly HPS, but there are some MV fixtures left. SCE, at least in Ventura County, still uses HPS and will not install LED yet.

I’ve always been interested in all kinds of lighting, mainly incandescent and HID, and especially all kinds of sodium lamps (HPS/LPS). I’ll tolerate LED but I’m not a fan of it.
I’m not proud to say that my city has Devolved to LED.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies