Author Topic: Misleading HID video  (Read 3065 times)
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Misleading HID video « on: October 14, 2020, 06:46:46 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
Can you tell what is wrong in this video?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5C-b02r3_M

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

High Intensity

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Misleading HID video « Reply #1 on: October 14, 2020, 07:30:24 PM » Author: High Intensity
Let me guess, running a Mercury lamp off a Sodium ballast. :wndr:
This video looks familiar.
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Misleading HID video « Reply #2 on: October 14, 2020, 07:32:12 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
Let me guess, running a Mercury lamp off a Sodium ballast. :wndr:
This video looks familiar.

In particular, the ballast is actually a S55 choke. designed for 55v 150w HPS lamps. A S56 ballast would work better for this setup.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Misleading HID video « Reply #3 on: October 14, 2020, 09:44:39 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
Running MV from a HPS ballast with ignitor will eventually ruin the lamp by burning out the starting resistor in the lamp.

Typical with most YouTube videos , the guy's an idiot ! " I'm gonna plug it into the bulb socket " You don't plug it in , you SCREW it in ! ::)

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Misleading HID video « Reply #4 on: October 14, 2020, 09:49:44 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
Running MV from a HPS ballast with ignitor will eventually ruin the lamp by burning out the starting resistor in the lamp.

He does not understand how he is grossly underdriving the mercury lamp since the mercury lamp runs at 130v 1.5a while the HPS runs at 55v 3.2a.

Typical with most YouTube videos , the guy's an idiot ! " I'm gonna plug it into the bulb socket " You don't plug it in , you SCREW it in ! ::)

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Misleading HID video « Reply #5 on: October 14, 2020, 10:14:54 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
That's part of what I'm saying. I think that more than 1/2 of the YouTube "tech" videos are either BLATENTLY WRONG or have multiple critical errors in them . As you said , he will be underdriving the MV lamp .

YouTube needs some sort of "fact checking " system for their service to help prevent the posting of inaccurate or potentially dangerous "ideas/processes" on there site .

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Misleading HID video « Reply #6 on: October 14, 2020, 10:18:42 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
That's part of what I'm saying. I think that more than 1/2 of the YouTube "tech" videos are either BLATENTLY WRONG or have multiple critical errors in them . As you said , he will be underdriving the MV lamp .

He at least ran the HPS bulb correctly.

YouTube needs some sort of "fact checking " system for their service to help prevent the posting of inaccurate or potentially dangerous "ideas/processes" on there site .

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Misleading HID video « Reply #7 on: October 14, 2020, 10:41:54 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
Yeah , assuming it's actually a 150w HPS lamp. Also , did you read any of the comments in the video ? One asked if it's OK to run 5 - 150w lamps on an "industrial cord/string"  His answer: "Good idea ! Try it , why not "

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Misleading HID video « Reply #8 on: October 14, 2020, 10:44:58 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
Yeah , assuming it's actually a 150w HPS lamp. Also , did you read any of the comments in the video ? One asked if it's OK to run 5 - 150w lamps on an "industrial cord/string"  His answer: "Good idea ! Try it , why not "

I just thought it did not make any sense since I have found that when I wire 2 HID bulbs in parallel to just ONE ballast, only one will light up and the other would function as a standby lamp much like you would see in a Twinarc HPS lamp.

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Misleading HID video « Reply #9 on: October 14, 2020, 10:57:43 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
EXACTLY ! Trying to run 5 - 150w lamps in parallel on a 750w ballast is just plain stupid. This guy is gonna get some one hurt or worse !

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Misleading HID video « Reply #10 on: October 14, 2020, 11:04:43 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
EXACTLY ! Trying to run 5 - 150w lamps in parallel on a 750w ballast is just plain stupid. This guy is gonna get some one hurt or worse !

However, connecting ballasts in parallel stacks the total ballast output current, but output voltage remains the same. For example, if a 250w MH and a 400w MH ballast are wired in parallel, the total output current is 5.4a because the 250w MH ballast has an output current of 2.15a and the 400w MH ballast has an output current of 3.25a. This type of ballasting technique will allow the operation of a European 700w mercury lamp in the US, and NOT the US 700w mercury lamp as the US 700w mercury lamps run at 265v 2.8a.

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Misleading HID video « Reply #11 on: October 15, 2020, 12:49:35 AM » Author: joseph_125
A word of warning on connecting ballasts in parallel. Make sure they're the same type (IE HX, CWA) before you do. HX ballasts won't play nice with a CWA in parallel and vise versa. The issue is the different ballast types have different waveforms and a CWA won't run in the same phase as a HX for example. CWA leads while HX lags.
tolivac

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Misleading HID video « Reply #12 on: October 18, 2020, 01:44:35 AM » Author: tolivac
Notice that the mercury lamp cut out because the secondary voltage from his HPS S55 ballast is not enough to sustain the arc in the mercury  bulb.Now the HPS bulb would start and run just fine.He should just make a HPS shoplight.And of course running the mercury lamp on the HPS ballast ignitor will burn out the start probe and resistor.
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Misleading HID video « Reply #13 on: October 18, 2020, 01:54:59 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
If this person’s objective was to be met, a 150w S56 HPS ballast would be a better match for the 175w mercury vapor bulb and the ignitor could be converted to a plug-in ignitor, or a switch could be used.

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies