Author Topic: Chat Capability  (Read 231 times)
Patrick
Webmaster

View Posts
View Gallery

LightingGallery
Chat Capability « on: October 17, 2020, 07:16:54 PM » Author: Patrick
From time to time, members have expressed interest in instant message or chatroom-type functionality for this website.  There are several options we could potentially offer, if we choose to provide such features in the future.

1.  A sitewide shoutbox, which is essentially one big group chat where members can post remarks, engaging with others signed on at the time.

2.  Personal instant messages for one-on-one chat between members.

3.  A full-fledged chat system with multiple topic-based channels.

#1 and #2 would probably be add-ons to the existing forum software and available within the site itself.  A full-featured chat system may seem like the best choice, but it will be challenging to tightly integrate those capabilities into the forum.  It will most likely be necessary to open a separate page or app to chat.  As a result, we might us competing with ourselves, having some members post to the boards exclusively and others the chatroom exclusively, and thereby missing out on each others content.

These are not necessarily mutually exclusive, and we could implement more than one of these features.  An additional option we'd consider is sponsoring or partnering with an existing lighting enthusiast community on a chat platform such as Discord, if a group is already well-established.  Our moderators would not operate the chat rooms in that case, but we could offer a link or invites here that help members of this site discover it.  If any of you are aware of such a group, let me know.  We previously saw a thread regarding Discord last year.

Patrick C., Administrator
Lighting-Gallery.net

Binarix128

View Posts
View Gallery

220V AC 50Hz, 525@29,970i NTSC

GoL UCOUT2noI2R__jgPSJUjGRtA
Re: Chat Capability « Reply #1 on: October 18, 2020, 08:51:28 AM » Author: Binarix128
Sounds like a good idea! I'll prefer an addon to the existing site rather than a service outside the site, as the privacy policy and other terms might vary.

LED will never beat other lamps. :inc: :hps: :mv:
:colorbulb: Creator of CaptureCommons :colorbulb:

lightinglover8902

View Posts
View Gallery

Power distributor: CenterPoint Energy. 120V 60Hz

GoL UCfoxh9h5FaLg-R04V8WDi3w
Re: Chat Capability « Reply #2 on: October 18, 2020, 11:31:21 AM » Author: lightinglover8902
You could feature our Lighting Collectors & Enthusiasts Discord server here! I have a invite that doesn't expire forever.  :)

Save the Cooper OVWs!! Don't them down by crap LED fixtures!!!

Patrick
Webmaster

View Posts
View Gallery

LightingGallery
Re: Chat Capability « Reply #3 on: October 18, 2020, 11:41:50 AM » Author: Patrick
@lightinglover8902, would you want any links to it to be restricted to logged-in users, or would it be OK if it's visible to the general public?

Patrick C., Administrator
Lighting-Gallery.net

lightinglover8902

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Chat Capability « Reply #4 on: October 18, 2020, 03:20:12 PM » Author: lightinglover8902
@lightinglover8902, would you want any links to it to be restricted to logged-in users, or would it be OK if it's visible to the general public?

Well, the server is a public server but for security reasons and to prevent potential spammers and trollers I think the Discord invite link should be only for logged-in users. But if the user or users do not have a Discord account, the user has to sign up to Discord in order to join the server.   

Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Chat Capability « Reply #5 on: October 18, 2020, 04:15:09 PM » Author: Lightingguy1994
I don't mean to rain on the discord parade here, but I think a full featured chat system for LG on the site itself would be our best option.

A chat system in LG would:

- Allow it to be managed by site staff,
- Prevent potential for abuse with our existing ban system,
- Prevents the possibility of previously banned members from gaining access to stir trouble we cannot control off site,
- Reduces the risk of downtime as we wont be at the mercy of 3rd parties and their platforms not playing nice with our software during updates or outages,
- No existing or new members would be required to create additional accounts such as a discord to be able to chat as it would be all on LG itself and accessible to all members.

In addition to this, I recommend 2 types of instant messaging on Lighting-Gallery. One for all members to message each other and a second one only administrators can access to discuss administrator items.

Administrator #5

lightinglover8902

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Chat Capability « Reply #6 on: October 18, 2020, 04:53:54 PM » Author: lightinglover8902
I don't mean to rain on the discord parade here, but I think a full featured chat system for LG on the site itself would be our best option.

- Prevents the possibility of previously banned members from gaining access to stir trouble we cannot control off site,
- Reduces the risk of downtime as we wont be at the mercy of 3rd parties and their platforms not playing nice with our software during updates or outages,
- No existing or new members would be required to create additional accounts such as a discord to be able to chat as it would be all on LG itself and accessible to all members.

In addition to this, I recommend 2 types of instant messaging on Lighting-Gallery. One for all members to message each other and a second one only administrators can access to discuss administrator items.

Yeah I guess you're right about that. So that that way you don't have to sign up to Discord, and the chat systems will be on LG.net instead.

rjluna2

View Posts
View Gallery

Robert

GoL
Re: Chat Capability « Reply #7 on: October 19, 2020, 05:54:56 AM » Author: rjluna2
I remembered that the Gallery of Light did tried once with on line chat, but it flop ???

Pretty, please no more Chinese failure.

CreeRSW207

View Posts
View Gallery

LONG LIVE VINTAGE!!!

Re: Chat Capability « Reply #8 on: October 19, 2020, 06:59:26 AM » Author: CreeRSW207

I agree that an on-site chat is better than an offsite one.

Vintage will always win over modern!

joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Chat Capability « Reply #9 on: October 19, 2020, 10:32:28 PM » Author: joseph_125
GoL at one point had a sitewide shoutbox like option 1. It only saw use for I think about a week and was removed shortly after I think. Discord could be used but I suppose it's probably better off starting a new server so it could be managed by site staff. The only issue is accounts as Discord requires a separate account.

TBH maybe changing the PM system to be more like messages on FB or Instagram DMs might be an option.
Danny

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Chat Capability « Reply #10 on: Today at 12:56:21 AM » Author: Danny
Number 2 would be a good idea.

On the Lamp room site we have a Site wide Shoutbox and as one of the admins, i hate it and want it removed for a instant private message add on, as everyone and anyone just posts any rubbish chat in it that is never consensual and never gets replied to due to it being viewable to every member of the site, It is very rare possibly never, that anyone replies to each other or has a good full on conversation on it. The only decent messages that seem to go on it are when members wish other members a Happy birthday!... So ill be looking into having it removed or replaced!

So i think number 2 would be the best idea for this site for sure. Please dont add a site wide shoutbox! There is also too many people here for that and if it did get lively there could be times when theres too many people chatting on it at once and its chat wouldn't make sense or people wouldn't be able to keep up with the messages!

If this is done i think a good translating system needs adding to it too so the english / American etc can talk to members from other countries without too much difficulty.
« Last Edit: Today at 01:02:25 AM by Danny » Logged
Print 
© 2005-2020 Lighting-Gallery.net | Powered by SMF 2.0.17 | SMF © 2019, Simple Machines