Author Topic: Making a DIY HID chandelier  (Read 3193 times)
sol

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Making a DIY HID chandelier « Reply #15 on: October 18, 2020, 07:15:02 AM » Author: sol
Oh, I see it now. So with good wiring, a superimposed ignitor wired close to the lamp (less than 50cm) would be fine, with a remote ballast that can be many metres away.
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Making a DIY HID chandelier « Reply #16 on: October 18, 2020, 03:38:10 PM » Author: Medved
Oh, I see it now. So with good wiring, a superimposed ignitor wired close to the lamp (less than 50cm) would be fine, with a remote ballast that can be many metres away.

Exactly. The superimposed ignitor is inside of the fixture close to the socket, the ballast then can easily be far away in the electrical cabinet. The distance between the ballast-to-fixture cable is then limited just by the wire resistance losses. And don't forget to disconnect/deactivate the original semiparallel ignitor (which uses to be part of the US ballasts), it may cause problems.

No more selfballasted c***

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: Making a DIY HID chandelier « Reply #17 on: October 18, 2020, 03:39:35 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
Using a superimposed ignitor seems like a great idea. Unfortunately, I do not think there are such ignitors for US 52-55v HPS lamps since they are mostly designed for 85-130v HPS and MH lamps. There are also some superimposed ignitors for 265v HPS and MH lamps as well.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 03:41:55 PM by WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA » Logged

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

Lumex120

View Posts
View Gallery

/X rated

UCM30tBQDUECOV6VeG5W87Vg
Re: Making a DIY HID chandelier « Reply #18 on: October 18, 2020, 04:12:05 PM » Author: Lumex120
If you do decide to use a bunch of small CMH lamps, one option you do have for enclosing them would be to get a bunch of glass test tubes to put over them to contain any non-passive lamp failures.

Unofficial LG Discord

WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Re: Making a DIY HID chandelier « Reply #19 on: October 18, 2020, 04:26:24 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
I imagine mason jars would be useful for containing the explosions of ED17 unprotected MH lamps.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Making a DIY HID chandelier « Reply #20 on: October 18, 2020, 06:42:30 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
I'm wondering exactly how strong of protection is really required for EOL lamps as a lot of low wattage MH fixtures I've seen seem to have relatively thin plastic refractors . Remember now , I've never seen a MH lamp fail non-passively first hand . I've only seen maybe 2 or three after the fact .  :wndr:

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Making a DIY HID chandelier « Reply #21 on: October 18, 2020, 06:58:33 PM » Author: Ash
Using a superimposed ignitor seems like a great idea. Unfortunately, I do not think there are such ignitors for US 52-55v HPS lamps since they are mostly designed for 85-130v HPS and MH lamps. There are also some superimposed ignitors for 265v HPS and MH lamps as well.

2 lamps in series.....
WigWag
Re: Making a DIY HID chandelier « Reply #22 on: October 18, 2020, 10:14:58 PM » Author: WigWag
With the one I converted, I removed all the E12 sockets and just hung a (remote-ballasted) E27 socket in the middle.

I think I have a picture somewhere... yeah, from a decade ago. Here it is with a silly 20,000K aquarium lamp in it. Ballast is housed in a table below, and is interchangeable.

It's coming across on my phone very blue and I have to say it looks pretty amazing.
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies