Author Topic: What happens if you wire a ballast on the wrong input voltage tapping?  (Read 2134 times)
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
What happens if you wire a ballast on the wrong input voltage tapping? « on: October 17, 2020, 03:37:14 AM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
I am interested in knowing what happens to ballasts if the wrong voltage tapping is used? For example, what will happen to a ballast if it is connected to 120v on the 277v tapping?

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

dor123

View Posts
View Gallery

Other loves are computers, office equipment, A/Cs

Re: What happens if you wire a ballast on the wrong input voltage tapping? « Reply #1 on: October 17, 2020, 04:02:58 AM » Author: dor123
It will overheat and burn out and even catch fire.

I"m don't speak English well, and rely on online translating to write in this site.
Please forgive me if my choice of my words looks like offensive, while that isn't my intention.

I only working with the international date format (dd.mm.yyyy).

I lives in Israel, which is a 220-240V, 50hz country.

Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What happens if you wire a ballast on the wrong input voltage tapping? « Reply #2 on: October 17, 2020, 05:13:23 AM » Author: Medved
I am interested in knowing what happens to ballasts if the wrong voltage tapping is used? For example, what will happen to a ballast if it is connected to 120v on the 277v tapping?

If you connect a 277V tap on 120V mains, the ballast will have way lower OCV (in that ratio) than the lamp needs, so it wont start. And if it starts, it will underpower the lamp, way more than the voltage ratio suggest.

If you connect a 120V tap on 277V, you will likely either fry the ballast or at least trip the protection. With series reactor ballast it may blow the lamp as well...

No more selfballasted c***

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What happens if you wire a ballast on the wrong input voltage tapping? « Reply #3 on: October 17, 2020, 02:05:35 PM » Author: wide-lite 1000
Years ago , I tried running a 480v H-33 encapsulated ballast on 120v all it did was trip the breaker within 1 second.  NOW , our idiot maintenance morons at work wired a 400w MH wall pack to 277v on the 120v lead and totally incinerated the ballast!  :o

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Oil Lamp Addict

Re: What happens if you wire a ballast on the wrong input voltage tapping? « Reply #4 on: October 17, 2020, 02:46:35 PM » Author: Mandolin Girl
Years ago , I tried running a 480v H-33 encapsulated ballast on 120v all it did was trip the breaker within 1 second.  NOW , our idiot maintenance morons at work wired a 400w MH wall pack to 277v on the 120v lead and totally incinerated the ballast!  :o
So they let the magic smoke out.??  :lol:

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love: :oil-ltn:
Published Author ;D
There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber
SMILEY ONLY ANSWERS WILL BE DELETED FROM MY POSTS

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What happens if you wire a ballast on the wrong input voltage tapping? « Reply #5 on: October 17, 2020, 04:07:12 PM » Author: Ash
Wiring a 480V ballast to 120V isn't supposed to trip any breakers. You sure the ballast was in working condition before this ?
tolivac

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What happens if you wire a ballast on the wrong input voltage tapping? « Reply #6 on: October 18, 2020, 01:11:34 AM » Author: tolivac
Years ago I connected 120V to the 240V primary tap on a 1000W MH ballast-was able to run a 400W MH bulb from it just fine-no overheating or bulb problems-and the lamp started OK!I didn't think it would work-but was surprised it did--however your mileage may vary.
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What happens if you wire a ballast on the wrong input voltage tapping? « Reply #7 on: October 18, 2020, 01:17:28 AM » Author: Medved
So they let the magic smoke out.??  :lol:

You mean the smoke everything electrical runs on? Which once escapes, everything stops working...

No more selfballasted c***

wide-lite 1000

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What happens if you wire a ballast on the wrong input voltage tapping? « Reply #8 on: October 18, 2020, 10:58:23 AM » Author: wide-lite 1000
Yep ! That magic smoke ! :lol: They actually melted some of the windings in the ballast ! :o

Collector,Hoarder,Pack-rat! Clear mercury Rules!!

Ash

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: What happens if you wire a ballast on the wrong input voltage tapping? « Reply #9 on: October 18, 2020, 06:29:28 PM » Author: Ash
Years ago I connected 120V to the 240V primary tap on a 1000W MH ballast-was able to run a 400W MH bulb from it just fine-no overheating or bulb problems-and the lamp started OK!I didn't think it would work-but was surprised it did--however your mileage may vary.

It would work if you apply 120V between the 120V and 240V taps, instead of 120V and COM. But the winding section between 120V and 240V would be wound with thinner wire than 120V to COM, so the ballast will overheat...
Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies