Author Topic: Why were full cutoff street lanterns required on California freeways?  (Read 1140 times)
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

HID, LPS, and preheat fluorescents forever!!!!!!

Worldwide HIDCollectorUSA
Why were full cutoff street lanterns required on California freeways? « on: October 19, 2020, 08:26:44 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
Before California changed out its HPS and MV freeway lanterns to LED, I wonder why most of the lanterns were full cutoff? Before LED street lights existed, I observed that most California freeway lanterns that had a drop lens had a glareshield on them. Otherwise, if the freeway lanterns did not have glareshields, they were mostly full cutoff lanterns with flat bowls. The only exception I noticed with this situation was the I-710 freeway in the Long Beach, CA area.

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

fluorescent lover 40

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why were full cutoff street lanterns required on California freeways? « Reply #1 on: October 19, 2020, 08:30:30 PM » Author: fluorescent lover 40
I'm assuming to reduce glare. Though I noticed the SOX fixtures they used did not have glareshields (did they even make glareshields for SOX streetlights?).
« Last Edit: October 19, 2020, 08:40:43 PM by fluorescent lover 40 » Logged
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why were full cutoff street lanterns required on California freeways? « Reply #2 on: October 19, 2020, 08:42:19 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
I wonder why there was a high concentration of drop lens lanterns without glareshields near the southern terminus of I-710 in Long Beach, CA?

Desire to collect various light bulbs (especially HID), control gear, and fixtures from around the world.

DISCLAIMER: THE EXPERIMENTS THAT I CONDUCT INVOLVING UNUSUAL LAMP/BALLAST COMBINATIONS SHOULD NOT BE ATTEMPTED UNLESS YOU HAVE THE PROPER KNOWLEDGE. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY INJURIES.

takemorepills

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why were full cutoff street lanterns required on California freeways? « Reply #3 on: October 19, 2020, 09:44:24 PM » Author: takemorepills
I'm assuming to reduce glare. Though I noticed the SOX fixtures they used did not have glareshields (did they even make glareshields for SOX streetlights?).

In some places of CA they did have FCO LPS fixtures. I believe Palomar made them.
LPS light doesn't pollute very badly, so not so critical to FCO them.
takemorepills

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why were full cutoff street lanterns required on California freeways? « Reply #4 on: October 19, 2020, 09:45:08 PM » Author: takemorepills
Before California changed out its HPS and MV freeway lanterns to LED, I wonder why most of the lanterns were full cutoff? Before LED street lights existed, I observed that most California freeway lanterns that had a drop lens had a glareshield on them. Otherwise, if the freeway lanterns did not have glareshields, they were mostly full cutoff lanterns with flat bowls. The only exception I noticed with this situation was the I-710 freeway in the Long Beach, CA area.

Probably just simply trying to limit light pollution.
WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Why were full cutoff street lanterns required on California freeways? « Reply #5 on: October 19, 2020, 09:55:57 PM » Author: WorldwideHIDCollectorUSA
Probably just simply trying to limit light pollution.

On main roads and side roads, there were and still are plenty of lanterns that had drop lenses without glareshields too

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies