Author Topic: Reply with Quote  (Read 980 times)
joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Reply with Quote « on: October 24, 2020, 12:59:42 AM » Author: joseph_125
I'm not sure if anyone else noticed this, but I noticed that the previously broken "Reply With Quote" feature on the forum is working for me after the SMF upgrade. Just thought I point it out to see if anyone else had this problem. It's all good as the SMF update fixed it.

For the record, I usually use Firefox, usually the latest version.
Bulbman256

View Posts
View Gallery

Mad Max

Bulbman256
Re: Reply with Quote « Reply #1 on: October 25, 2020, 12:33:32 AM » Author: Bulbman256
My reply with quote buttom is broken for me and im a chrome user. Also i feel the new quoting system is ugly and should be changed back.

Collecting light bulbs since 2012, a madman since birth.

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Bodger extraordinaire - When in doubt, bodge.!

Re: Reply with Quote « Reply #2 on: October 25, 2020, 10:27:03 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
For me the new way of displaying quoted text is something that this site has needed for years.

I'm also a confirmed Firefox user and have been since it was first released.  :)
The reply with quote was broken for me, and I could only do it by opening in a new tab.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2020, 10:30:01 AM by Mandolin Girl » Logged

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love:

There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber (1894 - 1961)

CreeRSW207

View Posts
View Gallery

"You may be a part of your own inspirations"

Re: Reply with Quote « Reply #3 on: October 25, 2020, 10:51:07 AM » Author: CreeRSW207
The quotes on LG look different now.

Collector of any streetlight type, preferably HID.
Power Company: Eversource
Im proud to say my town is still HID!
Proudly suffering from Westinghouse Lifeguard disease!
I’m proud to say I’ve been to the EMEC service area with ZERO LED!
Also enjoys playing Basketball and Baseball.

Lightingguy1994
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Reply with Quote « Reply #4 on: October 25, 2020, 11:39:31 AM » Author: Lightingguy1994
The new quotes are great, try to give it a chance.

To confirm, is everyone on firefox or otherwise able to use 'reply with quote' without issue?

Administrator #5

Mandolin Girl

View Posts
View Gallery

Bodger extraordinaire - When in doubt, bodge.!

Re: Reply with Quote « Reply #5 on: October 25, 2020, 11:54:13 AM » Author: Mandolin Girl
It's working fine for me now thanks  :)

Hugs and STUFF Sammi xXx (also in Aberdeen) :love:

There are two kinds of light  -  the glow that illuminates, and the glare that obscures.
James Thurber (1894 - 1961)

sox35
Administrator

View Posts
View Gallery

Andromeda Ascendant

Re: Reply with Quote « Reply #6 on: September 20, 2021, 05:42:03 PM » Author: sox35
Hi all,

I'm bumping/resurrecting this topic because I think there is a problem that needs to be addressed. Not with the functionality of the quoting feature, but the frequency of its use.

For some time now, I have noticed that a lot of replies, both in the forum and in gallery threads, tend to quote the entire message they're replying to. Now this isn't always a problem, but I have to ask - is it really necessary to quote what a previous poster has said when you're making the very next post in the thread..?

If the post you're replying to is a long way off from the end of the thread, then fine, it saves people from having to scroll back three pages or whatever to see what it is you're replying to. But if it's the very next post, or maybe two or three posts earlier, is it really necessary..? It's especially irritating when someone has posted quite a long message and then someone comes along in the very next post and quotes ALL of it and then adds just a one-word reply, or even worse just a single smiley icon.

If you're replying and what you want to say doesn't immediately make it obvious who you're replying to, then just add the username of that person. For example, if you're replying to this post, instead of quoting it all, just start your reply with "@ sox35" and it will be clear who you're referring to.

If the post you want to reply to is quite old, or off the top/bottom of the page, then by all means quote it, but if it's a very long post, try and trim it so that you only quote the bit you're replying to.

Please note this is me as a member making these observations, I am by no means acting in an admin capacity. There is no hard and fast rule that says you can't quote people, or the facility wouldn't exist, but please try and limit its use to where it serves a function.

If you've read this far, thanks for listening  :love:

Ria (aka Rommie) in Aberdeen
It'll be all right in the end, and if it isn't all right, it isn't the end :love:

Administrator, UK and European time zones. Any questions or problems, please feel free to get in touch
:love:

Print 
© 2005-2021 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.18 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines