Author Topic: Mitsubishi Marathon vintage CFLi  (Read 1057 times)
James

View Posts
View Gallery

Mitsubishi Marathon vintage CFLi « on: August 22, 2020, 02:59:32 PM » Author: James
These are very early CFL lamps, in which the discharge passes through both the internal tubes and the space between those tubes and the outer bulb.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/293582115710
https://www.ebay.com/itm/154029568873

(Admin edit - Listings ended, I attached pics of the product from the listings and moved to general discussion)
« Last Edit: October 10, 2020, 02:01:25 PM by Lightingguy1994 » Logged
mdcastle

View Posts
View Gallery

mdcastle 26956281@N02
Re: Mitsubishi Marathon vintage CFLi « Reply #1 on: August 29, 2020, 09:59:23 PM » Author: mdcastle
I guess I'm confused conceptionally how these work compared to a modern CFL?
joseph_125

View Posts
View Gallery

GoL
Re: Mitsubishi Marathon vintage CFLi « Reply #2 on: August 30, 2020, 03:13:00 AM » Author: joseph_125
I wonder if they were similar conceptually to the Yorkville/Hitachi CFLs from the 80s which has a similar open ended discharge tube inside a glass bulb.

In modern CFLs the discharge is limited to the internal tube and outer bulb is really only a decorative cover.
mdcastle

View Posts
View Gallery

mdcastle 26956281@N02
Re: Mitsubishi Marathon vintage CFLi « Reply #3 on: August 30, 2020, 08:32:00 AM » Author: mdcastle
So, I get the concept of a fluorescent tube or an HID lamp where the arc  starts at an electrode at one end of a sealed tube and goes to the electrode at the other end.

How can this work if the tube is open to allow the gas to escape?

I assumed the heavy glass covers of early CFLs was purely decorative and to protect the inner tube, at least I have a Panasonic one that can even be unscrewed and removed.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2020, 08:34:03 AM by mdcastle » Logged
Medved

View Posts
View Gallery

Re: Mitsubishi Marathon vintage CFLi « Reply #4 on: September 03, 2020, 01:01:02 PM » Author: Medved
So, I get the concept of a fluorescent tube or an HID lamp where the arc  starts at an electrode at one end of a sealed tube and goes to the electrode at the other end.

How can this work if the tube is open to allow the gas to escape?

I assumed the heavy glass covers of early CFLs was purely decorative and to protect the inner tube, at least I have a Panasonic one that can even be unscrewed and removed.

In these the "heavy glass" is in fact the main envelope sealing the air out and the desired working mix (Ar, Kr, Hg,...) in.
The inner tubes are then just a kind of arc guide - form a designated path for the arc.
This concept has few advantages:
- The outer envelope is rather cool, so it is easier to maintain the desired Hg pressure in the arc (dictated by the temperature of either the coldest spot where the liquid mercury reside, or the mercury dosing amalgam pellet; here the low temperature of the outer may have been enough to suffice with at the time simpler and cheaper liquid mercury system).
- The phosphor is on the outer, so quite away from the otherwise aggressive arc chemistry (the ionized components tend to react with it), prolonging its life (so way slower lumen loss)
- The electrodes are encapsulated by the inner tubes without phosphor, which then could be narrower, so limitting the area affected by sputtering, so other factor improving the lumen maintenance.
But has quite a few major drawbacks:
- The volume containing Hg gas between the discharge and the phosphor is rather large, so there is quite high selfabsorbtion
- The glasswork is rather complex (two tubes sealed within a jar and seal that), so expensive. The open ends (instead of e.g. just a breather hole) are in fact motivated by having only one spot where these are fixed to other structures, so prevent stress buildup in the glass.

No more selfballasted c***

Men of God

View Posts
View Gallery

jiachao.wei.71 chao_813975447 UChyTpXvlQ8ZCfBPP_lJjubg chao990613
Re: Mitsubishi Marathon vintage CFLi « Reply #5 on: December 07, 2020, 10:33:44 AM » Author: Men of God
日本本土版100V的都是1000-2000日元起拍,15-20美元对我来说过于昂贵

我不会英文,所以我用中文,请你们用翻译网站翻译我打的字!

I can't in English, so I in Chinese, please use the translation website to translate my words!

Print 
© 2005-2024 Lighting-Gallery.net | SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | Terms and Policies